ASL Arnhem games?

Green Beanie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking of trying a Northwest Europe type of game, and break away from my usual Eastern Front games. I was always interested in Market Garden. I would love to do the 82nd ABN H & I companies of the 504th Waarve River crossing, but I do not have any boat counters. Also, I do not have a million dollars lying around to try and purchase a copy of ASL A Bridge Too Far off of ebay. Any know of any good, affordable ASL Market Garden modules for purchase? Perferably with counters for I have not any British for XXX corps or 1st ABN. Thank you for what ever help you can provide.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not Market Garden, but here is Operation Neptune from BFP.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Did you mean the Waal River?

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Also, I do not have a million dollars lying around to try and purchase a copy of ASL A Bridge Too Far off of ebay. Any know of any good, affordable ASL Market Garden modules for purchase?
MMP are scheduled to reissue this module.

Or try the early Critical Hit Arnhem modules.

Green Beanie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would not have Arnhem map boards? Or Hell's Highway map boards?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
It only has an HASL map for downtown of Arnhem around the Northern end of the highway bridge. It is all about Frost's stand in Arnhem.
Decision at Elst is a SK HASL that deals with actions around Elst which was an action that took place on the way trying to get to Arnhen to relieve the British airborne.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If that soon. The only real reason anybody wants this HASL is because of the black SS counters. Precious little to base a product on.....
Throughout my time talking with Michael Faulkner about this project, that has never come up. I don't know if the original map and other production files were lost or became obsolete over time, but I think that's more likely than the black SS thing.

I mean, it IS a pretty famous battle, and if it's out of print, it seems understandable that MMP would want to get it back online, as it were.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Considering that ABTF was an Avalon Hill HASL, more likely that the originals have to be upgraded before any playtesting can occur.
Seen glimpses on the forum of the new map, but a long way to go before pre-ordering is on the horizon.

Green Beanie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any one here recommend a book that is mainly about the struggle XXX Corp had getting to the last bridge? I have read many books over the years concerning Market Garden and the closest book I found about XXX Corp was Hell's Highway and that was mainly about the 101st ABN. I always wondered what the purpose of having one Battalion of the Dorsets assault over the Rhine so far to the Left of Ossterbeck, (I know I misspelled that, so don't razz me) The Dorsets were too far away to support the 1st ABN perimeter and too small a force to form a bridgehead.

Mongoose1

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any one here recommend a book that is mainly about the struggle XXX Corp had getting to the last bridge? I have read many books over the years concerning Market Garden and the closest book I found about XXX Corp was Hell's Highway and that was mainly about the 101st ABN. I always wondered what the purpose of having one Battalion of the Dorsets assault over the Rhine so far to the Left of Ossterbeck, (I know I misspelled that, so don't razz me) The Dorsets were too far away to support the 1st ABN perimeter and too small a force to form a bridgehead.

Mongoose1

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Considering that ABTF was an Avalon Hill HASL, more likely that the originals have to be upgraded before any playtesting can occur.
Seen glimpses on the forum of the new map, but a long way to go before pre-ordering is on the horizon.
Wasn't ABTF a MMP product? From what I recall they had it on fire sale for $15.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wasn't ABTF a MMP product? From what I recall they had it on fire sale for $15.
I believe so.

IIRC, PB was the last TAHGC-involved HASL module (#4)
BR:T was the first MMP HASL module (#5)
ABTF was HASL module #6

To what extent any of these product developments were =started= under TAHGC, IDK.

Re PB, the BGG page for ASL Modules credits both TAHGC and MMP

Von Kar

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Not sure whether there are any books detailing just those actions, but both Horrocks “Corps Commander” (ISBN 0 283 98320 5) and Patrick Delaforce’s “The Fighting Wessex Wyverns” (ISBN 0 7509 0773 8) dedicate a chapter to The Fight On The Island.

The correct spelling is Oosterbeek.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Another interesting book is Brigadier John Hackett's I was a Stranger about his wounding, capture and subsequent escape following Arnhem.

Green Beanie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you gentlemen. Von Kar, I love your picture from the ALS Airborne module. I wish I would have picked that up when it was just $12.00 at Barnes & Noble books back in the 90's. Now I only see over priced incomplete copies on Ebay. Talk about Lost Victories. (Loved that book)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you gentlemen. Von Kar, I love your picture from the ALS Airborne module. I wish I would have picked that up when it was just $12.00 at Barnes & Noble books back in the 90's. Now I only see over priced incomplete copies on Ebay. Talk about Lost Victories. (Loved that book)
There's no need to. ASL Paratrooper is incorporated into Yanks2. Copies on eBay are there to catch the unawares.