ASL AP35 “A Lesson For Lehr” AAR

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Adam Lunney and I played this on VASL. Adam was the Germans with the balance (an extra Panther) as we agreed that SSR 4 made it tough for the Germans.

My setup was not the best. I put the AT Gun in 55R8. This covers the I4-Q8-Q9 road but that is all. If I played this again, I would put the AT Gun further back e.g. 54V5 or 55R8.

Worse than my setup were my opening moves. Because I was worried about my weak centre, I left the buildings around the 54Y9 road junction completely undefended! In a trice, the panzergrenadiers pounced - the Germans were about to grab three more VC buildings!

I committed my turn 2 reinforcements to a counterattack in the east. My armoured cars were soon burning wrecks but it bought me a little time.

The tide started to turn when a BAZ knocked out a Panther. A second Panther was recalled when it malf-ed its MA and then gacked the repair dr. A German armoured car was too ambitious and fell prey to a US MG.

I split my infantry reinforcements between the centre and the east. The eastern buildings were recaptured but a JgPz stood guard north of the central buildings. I cautiously moved the other platoon behind the bocage then sent in an M10 to take on the JgPz. The tank destroyer had the advantage of HD cover behind the bocage and that was enough.

With the crisis to the east averted, I brought on my Shermans in the centre and along the western sunken road. Adam was ready for a big push to the central buildings with most of his infantry. What brought him unstuck was his weak flank in the west. Although he had broken the AT crew, a 2nd line squad held on to 55R8. With Wall Advantage, they repelled the attacking German infantry. When Adam failed to rally them, my Green meanies double time-ed to recapture the 54Q1 building and capture the broken Germans in the Rout Phase. Even worse, my Shermans had broken through and would cut the southern road exits on turn 7. Adam conceded.