ASL and the years before and after WW II?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Been checking different websights on pre and post WW II actions and it is really amazing at the amount stuff that is out there. For example, the Jewish war of independence (1947 to 1949) is chalked full of interesting equipment used by both sides IE the Jewish troops had old French tanks, H40's I think as well as tons of different Armour cars.

The Spanish Civil War is another barely tapped resource for all kinds of actions involving both the Republicans and Nationalists as well as the Italians for really cool scenarios.

There is also the Italians in Ethiopia, but personally, what fun would it be to go after units armed with nothing but spears?

Anyway, how many people here would like to see scenarios on those sort of actions? Or are most people here firmly in the WW II only camp?

Scott

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
Hi all-

Been checking different websights on pre and post WW II actions and it is really amazing at the amount stuff that is out there. For example, the Jewish war of independence (1947 to 1949) is chalked full of interesting equipment used by both sides IE the Jewish troops had old French tanks, H40's I think as well as tons of different Armour cars.

The Spanish Civil War is another barely tapped resource for all kinds of actions involving both the Republicans and Nationalists as well as the Italians for really cool scenarios.

There is also the Italians in Ethiopia, but personally, what fun would it be to go after units armed with nothing but spears?

Anyway, how many people here would like to see scenarios on those sort of actions? Or are most people here firmly in the WW II only camp?

Scott
If MMP or HOB did a Spanish Civil War or French IndoChina module I would eat it up in a second. Unfortunately, CH is the only option for these at the moment, and I really don't like their counter art at all. It's enough to kill it for me, so I pass on Guerra Civil and DBP.

Looking forward to the "official" Korea ASL module :) I want Centurians!! At last, a British MBT that commands respect. :cool: :pIMP:

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This has been brought up several times, but always fun to talk about.

PRE WWII - I'm cool with SCW/Ethiopia/Chineese Civil War/Irish Revolution/Banana Wars and the like...pretty much anything after WWI.

POST WWII - I'm cool with Arab/Israeli/Korea/French Indochina and the like...pretty much anything up to around '53 or so.

I would be happy with anything touching on the conflicts I listed and agree that they are fertile ground for scenario/HASL/module designers.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If MMP or HOB did a Spanish Civil War or French IndoChina module I would eat it up in a second. Unfortunately, CH is the only option for these at the moment, and I really don't like their counter art at all. It's enough to kill it for me, so I pass on Guerra Civil and DBP.

Looking forward to the "official" Korea ASL module :) I want Centurians!! At last, a British MBT that commands respect. :cool: :pIMP:
Totally agree, I have played most of the stuff you have listed and struggling through CH! graphics is a real downer, still, it did not stop me from enjoying those scenarios they published on those conflicts some good, some ok and some just plain terrible. And lets not forget the zillions of squad types in thos CH! offerings, made my head swim!

Personally, I think the 1930's to the late 1940's is perfect for ASL with the existing stuff available. Does a scenario designer represent the Jewish forces with Partisan squads? Does the scenario designer represent the Jordanian squads useing Brit units since they were trained by Pasha Glubb?

Alot of interesting ways the pre and post WW II stuff can be represented thats for sure.

Scott

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The only possible way to discuss this properly is to examine how the armies were organized; if their infantry were organized into squads and fought as such, then they can be portrayed in ASL. You can go back as far as 1916 in my opinion.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Also a playtest around for Russian civil war, I have some of the playtest scenarios but cannot remember who it is that has designed them,

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
IE the Jewish troops had old French tanks, H40's I think as well as tons of different Armour cars.
At the Degania Kibbutz, there is the wreck of a French tank (H? R? I am no expert).
I think it was used by the Syrians in 1948 (which is logical, as Syria was formerly a French protectorate).

I really would like to see a Spanish Civil War module, by MMP...

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At least for the Spanish Civil War the bulk of the (hateful) CH vehicle counters are duplicated by either Doomed Battalions or AoO. Like there are Italian L3 tankettes in Axis Minor colors for the Nationalist side.

I don't have as much of a problem with CH's infantry counters. I can handle the little SMG symbol for Assault Fire, but the vehicles blow goats...

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Also a playtest around for Russian civil war, I have some of the playtest scenarios but cannot remember who it is that has designed them,
Robert Hammond designed a bunch of scenarios dealing with the Russian Civil War, I think he sent them to HOB.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with the comments on CH! vehicles. Very hard to use. But I do like the SCW scenarios and would like to see that as well as a Russian Civil War module come out from MMP.

Bill

tenebre

Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That would be very interesting. Althoguh gettgin actual counts would be a bit difficult as the offcial records are rather .... "doctored"

however, there were many engagements that woudl work in ASL scale plus lots of cavalry scenarios.

If someone is working on this i would gladly help out with research. I have an inane amount of resources on the RCW.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I really would like to see a Spanish Civil War module, by MMP...[/QUOTE]

I think the chances of that one being released is probably in your kids or grandkids lifetime :)

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At the Degania Kibbutz, there is the wreck of a French tank (H? R? I am no expert).
I think it was used by the Syrians in 1948 (which is logical, as Syria was formerly a French protectorate).

I hear there is a great scenario in Gen 48 that covers that action.

paulkenny

Reaction score
I am working on a couple of SCW scenario packs, will likely include a couple of boards, am also contemplating some unmounted counters.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bring em on...If it can transalte well into ASL, I say bring it on!
Just not via CH. (although the last products I ever bought from them were Dien Bien Phu, Genesis 48, Guerra Civil)

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That would be very interesting. Althoguh gettgin actual counts would be a bit difficult as the offcial records are rather .... "doctored"

however, there were many engagements that woudl work in ASL scale plus lots of cavalry scenarios.

If someone is working on this i would gladly help out with research. I have an inane amount of resources on the RCW.
I read a very interesting book a while back about the Allied expeditionary force that was sent to northern Russia in 1918. Had some very good accounts of American and Brittish troops fighting against Red Russian troops. The book also talked about the Chekoslavakian forces fighting eastward along the rail line to try to link up with the Allies...but they never made contact.

I'll have to dig around and see what the title and author were on that book, but it was a fascinating read into a conflict that I never knew happened.

Semper Fi!
Scott

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>I really would like to see a Spanish Civil War module, by MMP.

One of the issues of LfT (#8 or #9?) concentrates on the SCW and has a nifty looking series of scenarios for it. Highly recommended.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
>I really would like to see a Spanish Civil War module, by MMP.

One of the issues of LfT (#8 or #9?) concentrates on the SCW and has a nifty looking series of scenarios for it. Highly recommended.
LFT mag #6