ASL and the years before and after WW II?

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read a very interesting book a while back about the Allied expeditionary force that was sent to northern Russia in 1918. Had some very good accounts of American and Brittish troops fighting against Red Russian troops. The book also talked about the Chekoslavakian forces fighting eastward along the rail line to try to link up with the Allies...but they never made contact.

I'll have to dig around and see what the title and author were on that book, but it was a fascinating read into a conflict that I never knew happened.

Semper Fi!
Scott
E.M. Halladay, When Hell Froze Over?

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
E.M. Halladay, When Hell Froze Over?
Pretty sure that's the one...very interesting read. I'd especially like to get a copy of the book that the author referrences from the American officer (sorry, my books are in storage so I don't have it handy to look up).

Semper Fi!
Scott

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am looking forward to Korea module and would love to see Indo-China done too.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding Italians vs Ethiopians: CH did a module several years ago (OOP now I think) called "Soldiers of the Ngesbus". Don't like a lot of CH's stuff but this one was quite interesting and believe it or not, pretty well balanced scenarios even with "guys armed with spears". The tactic of overturning light Italian vehicles was a neat addition to the game SSR's. If you get a chance to grab a copy give it a whirl.:D

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>I think most of the magazine is in French though.

All the scenarios are in English. Don't quote me, but I think the SCW campaign is in English too. Anyone want to verify?

And what I mean by campaign is that I think the Spanish Civil War scenarios are in a campaign series similar to the Market Garden scenarios from one of the Annual 91. That scenario series that included Tettau's Attack, Driel Team, North Bank, Zon With the Wind, etc. Where you play the scenarios in order and gain CG points for winning each scenario.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On a somewhat on-topic tangent, has anyone done up any personal "updating" of the CH vehicle counters?
I did a test last night, which was labor intensive, but turned out OK. This is the CA. 1 Schneider tank (one of those WW1 beasties with the gun mounted in the very front of the bow) from Guerra Civil, tell me what you guys think.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Here are a couple of websights on both the The Arab-Israeli Wars and the Chaco skirmishes:

Scott
Ah... the Chaco War, that's always been one of my dreams, to make a Chaco module for ASL.

My inability to read Spanish makes it tough to get any detailed accounts, though. :(

I think I have all the English language books on it, however.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While looking through Guerra Civil I was drawn to the Guerrilleros counters. I immediately started thinking "These would be great for doing the Pancho Villa expedition into Mexico!"

I mean, don't these counters cry out for American cavalry and red MP armored cars to come chase them down on one of the desert boards?

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I would love to play with a M51 Isherman. 105 gun on a M4A1 with HVSS. Have a few of those in 1/285th minis. Awesome.

Is '67 too far out for ASL?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I would love to play with a M51 Isherman. 105 gun on a M4A1 with HVSS. Have a few of those in 1/285th minis. Awesome.

Is '67 too far out for ASL?
Did they organize their infantry into squads in 1967? That's the only question to which you need a "yes" answer in order to proceed.

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
An eggshell with a very, very, very big hammer :D
Yeah, but so is everything in this period. Big guns, pre-Choabam / reactive armor. Think late WWII only more so. I do not think ASL would be a good system for this because it would be difficult to depict the differences in crew training. The exploits of the Israeli armor can be hard to believe at times. One encounter; 6 Centurions towing 5 others (they were out of gas) against 30 Egyptians. Score 0 to 30. I think all Israeli with at least a -1 armored leader vs. inexperienced tanks would not quite get it.

Still looking for a good system for my minis. Some of the coolest stuff I've ever painted.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While looking through Guerra Civil I was drawn to the Guerrilleros counters. I immediately started thinking "These would be great for doing the Pancho Villa expedition into Mexico!"

I mean, don't these counters cry out for American cavalry and red MP armored cars to come chase them down on one of the desert boards?
Oh yeah! Complete with a Lieutenant Patton counter.....

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One encounter; 6 Centurions towing 5 others (they were out of gas) against 30 Egyptians. Score 0 to 30. I think all Israeli with at least a -1 armored leader vs. inexperienced tanks would not quite get it.
So, that would be platoon movement for the Israelis, at double MP? What kind of armour did the Egyptians have?

Alan

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, that would be platoon movement for the Israelis, at double MP? What kind of armour did the Egyptians have?

Alan
Depends on the year...T-60's, BMPs, mostly Soviet gear..Some French equipment...