ASL 75 - Strangers in strange land

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
This is my first attempt of AAR. I eventually decided to try one for this scenario. Me and my opponent have very different feelings about it. I believe that this is because some rolls and maybe a bold choice in the first 2 turns had give a clear direction to the game. The German tactic was quite standard, fire lines with LMG, second floor MMG with leader -1 and stay HIP as much as possible (picture 1).

The AFVs move ahead, sure that German did't have any serious way to threaten them. However, the first turning point suddenly "appeared": malfunction of MA for one tank. In the German rally phase (Turn 2), a risky choice didn't pay out: the MA broke and the recall threat materialize (picture 2).

At this point the French decided to move ahead with the infantry but two fire lines KIAeds two MMC and channel the movements on the flanks, slowing the approach and severely affect the Personal Morale Check of the French player (picture 3).

Eventually the German MMG firing at the French stack on the hill (9-1, 2 MMCs, 2 MMG) kept the ROF for 4 times and annihilated the whole stack (picture 4).

Despite the rolls start getting better for the French (a mtr CH on the German MMG stack broke the stack), it was not possible to recover from the terrible start. Rolls do not look very diverse, but while the number of snakes of the French were "outstanding", those had very minor effects, while the boxcars of the German were 2 wind rolls (rolls picture).
Would be interested to other players comment on this scenario. Have you enjoyed it? In our case, the German player did, the French .... "pas vraiement".
;)

Attachments

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sending the tanks ahead of the infantry as opposed to using them for armoured asdaukt and to give tem against the firelanes is a mistske. They are not powerful enough to frighten he enemy by their mere presence ( a 4 flat shot is not to be sniffed at but im going to risk it to impede the advsnce ehere i might not if it wre an 88 or larger).
I like the 70mm mortar on the small hill as it can affect the left hand side of the building.
I don't like hiding anyone else back. This is a knock down drag out fight in the building. You'll need everyone there.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Eventually the German MMG firing at the French stack on the hill (9-1, 2 MMCs, 2 MMG) kept the ROF for 4 times and annihilated the whole stack (picture 4).
and

Despite the rolls start getting better for the French (a mtr CH on the German MMG stack broke the stack)

Lesson for the day
If I may quote a well used ASL term for ""Newbies"".. ""Dont Stack ! Dont Stack ! Dont Move as a Stack ! and then Dont Stack!!"" (i may paraphrase - but you gt the drift)

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
and

Lesson for the day
If I may quote a well used ASL term for ""Newbies"".. ""Dont Stack ! Dont Stack ! Dont Move as a Stack ! and then Dont Stack!!"" (i may paraphrase - but you gt the drift)
The German stack was a HS, a leader and a MMG. I believe the
and

Lesson for the day
Just for precision, the German stack was "just" an HS, Leader and MMG. So the bear minimum.
You are right in suggesting that it is better not to have killer stack, but I still think they can be useful and in some scenarios needed.
But even more, you can spread as much as you want, but if your opponent keep the ROF 4 times for 5 shots with a negative DRM ......

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just for precision, the German stack was "just" an HS, Leader and MMG. So the bear minimum.
You are right in suggesting that it is better not to have killer stack, but I still think they can be useful and in some scenarios needed.
But even more, you can spread as much as you want, but if your opponent keep the ROF 4 times for 5 shots with a negative DRM ......

I was just using example for illistration to any newbies reading out there (and I teach a lot of newbies)
A multi hex fire group is often just as effective and far less risky
Yes Mr 9-1 is a nice bonus, and the leader direction is often important. But the loss of 2MMC and the 9-1 and by default the MMG's with them is a big chunk of FP
If your going to stack like that. a nice +2 or +3 TEM is the way to go

Luck can happen in any game. But by not stacking, you minimise the chance of bad things happening to Lots ! of peoples
And I can guarentee. If I'm the one stacking......... The bad things ""always"" happen to me lols lots

Ps
have to say
loved the layout of your AAR. Very impressive
I should very much have said that earlier