ASL 206 Hay That Ain't a ROK

THE GOOD
The scenario does an excellent job of placing US forces in an ambush position. Both sides have many options and must decide on how to best get their VP which are a combination of CVP and EVP for both sides.
THE BAD
First time out for the US requires a fair amount of study - who can be saved and who will be sacrificed for the good of the balance of forces. The KPA has to make the same decisions regarding where to make their attacks to maximize casualties.
BALANCE
5.00 star(s)
ORIGINALITY
5.00 star(s)
FUN
4.00 star(s)
REPLAYABILITY
4.00 star(s)
COMPLEXITY
Average
PLAYER'S VERDICT

8 'Great'

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Parent Module
Forgotten War
Overview
Vehicles, Non-WWII
I have played this once against a good opponent and after a very rough start as the US was able to battle back and make a game of it. I am in the process of playing this again against another good opponent and I hope as the US player to make amends on my mistakes.

asler

Reaction score
Found this one pretty tough on the US. They have to get some of the central units back to the stream area but it's very easy for the NK to cut them off. One big issue we found was the synergy between the early war penalties for US (Low Ammo (i.e. no firelanes), and Breakdown number penalty) along with 6ML, ELR of 2, and the fact that you can see through the woods. Once the US break..it's real easy for the NK to prevent the US from routing since the woods no longer block LOS. The low ELR means the US ends up with a good number of Green units that between their inexperienced penalty and the early war penalty means few support weapons last past 2- or 3 uses. Lost many a weapon and even had some ELR reductions due to the Low Ammo. The NK can also take the road through the woods and skirt up the board side to threaten an exit fairly easily. That against 8ML level troops ; it was rough. Managed to hold the NK off at the stream...but the loss of too many units from failure to rout and CC ended up with a loss for the US.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On ROAR there is now a US win - hopefully there will be a post to let us know any tactics that were useful.

My second playing wound up worse than the first - so I am not seeing much hope for a US victory - however apparently someone has figured it out.

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this one as the US. Agree that it's tough on the Americans, then again most-everything is tough if your morale is 6 and that of the enemy is higher. The wealth of American SW does help, and the Miguk positions did solidify enough for their mortars to get some shots (including a couple of CR) in on the DPRK. The Northies mostly hung tough, though, thanks again to their superior morale. They got across the bridge and secured a W, again mostly because they didn't break when my guys did.

BD

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes with Americans it’s nice to not rout but rally in place, they’re tougher when they’re broke anyway.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't think this can be won by the Americans without starting lots and lots of fires. Lots and lots. Note that there is no SSR saying kindling is n/a. But more than that, EC are super-dry which means placing WP also can cause fires [A24.32]. The RCLs have WP as do the BAZ and the MTRs, but also the American infantry have WP grenades. Consider ending movement with a WP grenade placement whether you need it or not. Also consider sending out your trucks aggressively, and if they die, try to set their wrecks ablaze with fire.

JR

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think this can be won by the Americans without starting lots and lots of fires. Lots and lots. Note that there is no SSR saying kindling is n/a. But more than that, EC are super-dry which means placing WP also can cause fires [A24.32]. The RCLs have WP as do the BAZ and the MTRs, but also the American infantry have WP grenades. Consider ending movement with a WP grenade placement whether you need it or not. Also consider sending out your trucks aggressively, and if they die, try to set their wrecks ablaze with fire.

JR
absolutely right. No other way for USA to win.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In our playing, the US player started fires like crazy and also traded in the 60mm mortars for OBA. Good moves, but still got plastered. Three boxcars in the first couple player turns eliminated three MMGs and replaced his frontline 666s. Brutal.