ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL 17
Lost Opportunities

Pierce: German
Legion: American
As long as I've played this great game, this is my first attempt at an AAR so I'm looking forward to putting my thoughts down for one and all to enjoy or throw darts at or use for toilet paper .. or .. well ..

Although the German force outnumbers the Americans, got to beware of the brittleness of the German (actually Georgian troops) troops with an ELR of 2. Another concern for the German is keeping enough troops in good order. The Germans instantly lose if they have less than nine unbroken squads/equivalents in play. With my aggressive play, that would come back to haunt me.

German Setup:

My plan was to isolate one part of the battlefield to keep the Americans from reinforcing the area that I was attacking. I wanted to place an mmg and lmg with a leader in 2D4 on turn 1 in order to place a mg firelane from 2D4 out to 1J0. A 50mm mortar in 2F7 (level 2 hill) and a 50mm mortar in 2G6 (level 1 hill). These mortars were to acquire the 1C1 through 1C3 woods hexes and the woods hexes surrounding 1B6. My biggest concern with my avenue of approach was the location of the U.S. mmg's (I thought might be in upper level building locations) since my attack plan called for me to cross the open ground between the board 2 B hexrow and the board 1 B hexrow. My Marder I would fire smoke to help in this approach. As the game progressed, I discovered that Legion had not placed his mmg's on the upper building levels.

The Game:

My game plan went pretty much according to how I envisoned my attack. My firelane hampered Legion in his reinforcement attempts. My smoke helped in the movement of my troops across open ground. I had gained the 1C1 through 1C3 woods hexes by turn 3 and the 1D2 and 1F1 buildings by turn 4 and was in a position to take 1F3 and 1D4 or 1H3 in my next two turns. But .. I got overly agressive with my AFV's and my ELR 2 troopers. My combined arms really stunk!!!:mad: And I stacked my troops. :cry: Usually only 2 MMC in a hex but with the Americans firepower, that did me in. Also had several disrupted Conscript squads that I just couldn't get to rally when I needed them too.

All in all, this was a fun scenario and the first time I had played "Lost Opportunities." But I forgot one of the fundamental basic rules for infantry .. DON'T STACK!!:bite:

Cheers ya'll!!

Pierce:nuts:​

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Good AAR Pierce. This is one of the few Paratrooper scenarios I have not played. I will have to give it a go.

Bill

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
ASL17 - Lost Opportunities German AAR

Here is the US Paratrooper AAR.
I have also placed Pierce's AAR on my website as well.

This really was a strange game for me and i think Pierce for his excellent efforts in making me sweat non-stop through this battle

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the AAR guys - I'm looking at playing this one soon, preferably as the Germans. Love the challenge of attacking with conscripts against America's finest.

Curious thing I noticed: On the real board 2 there is a bypassable woods hex at the top of the board where it meets board 1 that allows a route for the German armor and a way to avoid the gap in the middle of the board.

However, on VASL, this bypassable hex isn't bypassable - the woods go all the way the board edge. So here is a case where playing on VASL/Ftf makes a big difference in potential play/outcomes.