ASL 159 White Tigers overlay issue

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trying to set up ASL 159 White Tigers. The scenario card says the road from 22A5-I2-P2-Q2-R1-T2-Y2-37X5-GG5 exists. Now overlay 3 with rice paddies is placed over the 37X5-GG5 of this road and the overlay has its own road from Y10-AA9-BB10-DD8DD5-EE5-GG5/6. If you use the road from the board as the scenario instructions show, the road goes right through the rice paddies, if you use the overlay road it goes around the rice paddies. Now on VASL you can fix this by eliminating the road on the overlay and drawing in the road as described in SR 1, but on real boards this would be most confusing.

On the ASL scenario archive they post an older VASL version of the board that shows the set up using the overlay road and not he map road as per SR1.

Which one is correct?

buser333

Reaction score
Trying to set up ASL 159 White Tigers. The scenario card says the road from 22A5-I2-P2-Q2-R1-T2-Y2-37X5-GG5 exists. Now overlay 3 with rice paddies is placed over the 37X5-GG5 of this road and the overlay has its own road from Y10-AA9-BB10-DD8DD5-EE5-GG5/6. If you use the road from the board as the scenario instructions show, the road goes right through the rice paddies, if you use the overlay road it goes around the rice paddies. Now on VASL you can fix this by eliminating the road on the overlay and drawing in the road as described in SR 1, but on real boards this would be most confusing.

On the ASL scenario archive they post an older VASL version of the board that shows the set up using the overlay road and not he map road as per SR1.

Which one is correct?
The Overlay road would override any road on the board if it covers it. Looks to me like the road goes around the paddies. SSR1 still appears to show the valid road coordinates with the overlay on.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
he Overlay road would override any road on the board if it covers it. Looks to me like the road goes around the paddies. SSR1 still appears to show the valid road coordinates with the overlay on.
The overlay road does not go to 37X5 but the SR1 says: "EXC: 22A5-I2-P2-Q2-R1-T2-Y2-37X5-GG5 road exists..." So it explicitly calls out the road that is on the board, not the overlay.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Use the road on the overlay - this is what the original scenario SSR said:
"The 22A5-P2-R1-T2-Y2-37GG5 road"

...when we expanded the road to include all hexes with a crossing, I think we looked a the map instead of the overlay.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

I know this is blasphemy, but at combined 69-32 pro Brit, I often wonder why its a classic.

Its fun mind you, but the two times I have played it (once as each side) it was not even close.

Roger

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello!

I know this is blasphemy, but at combined 69-32 pro Brit, I often wonder why its a classic.

Its fun mind you, but the two times I have played it (once as each side) it was not even close.

Roger
Did you play the old or the new version?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
both it was not close either way

What did the change? I cannot remember
ASL A47 (White Tigers): Add a 4-4-7, LMG, and DC to the Japanese OB. (The Japanese BI BPV number changes from [326] to [339].) In SSR 4, delete everything after "(A25.43)," and replace the comma with a period.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I'll have to re-read SSR4, as I do not remember it. In my two playings the 447, LMG and DC would probably not have mattered all that much. The real issue was the rain/mud slowing everything down and fact that the Allies could easily defend the river crossing areas. Going the long way around seemed pretty difficult but maybe that is the answer.

But as I said, I had two playings, one old and one new version, neither was close.

Perhaps there is a (steep) learning curve on this one, but, the original clearly had issues. Which is why I am surprised its a "classic".

Peace

Roger

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll have to re-read SSR4, as I do not remember it. In my two playings the 447, LMG and DC would probably not have mattered all that much. The real issue was the rain/mud slowing everything down and fact that the Allies could easily defend the river crossing areas. Going the long way around seemed pretty difficult but maybe that is the answer.

But as I said, I had two playings, one old and one new version, neither was close.

Perhaps there is a (steep) learning curve on this one, but, the original clearly had issues. Which is why I am surprised its a "classic".

Peace

Roger
Blasphemy is correct!!!

Have played 3 times as the Japanese and have won all three times.

The key is to get one Japanese AFV on the road that the Gurkha reinforcements must enter on to force them from using the road to quickly reinforce the rest of the Brit units. If you can do that it delays them by at least 2 turns and gives the Japanese plenty of time to achieve their VC.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Blasphemy is correct!!!

Have played 3 times as the Japanese and have won all three times.

The key is to get one Japanese AFV on the road that the Gurkha reinforcements must enter on to force them from using the road to quickly reinforce the rest of the Brit units. If you can do that it delays them by at least 2 turns and gives the Japanese plenty of time to achieve their VC.
That bridge is usually protected by one if not both of the AT guns. In our games the guns took their toll as the Japanese tried to get across. The fords seem too slow of a way to go.

Roger

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That bridge is usually protected by one if not both of the AT guns. In our games the guns took their toll as the Japanese tried to get across. The fords seem too slow of a way to go.

Roger
Yes, usually both. That’s where your infantry and a few AFVs (protection on the bridge as wrecks) must take them out. Making a corridor for 1-2 AFVs to get to the road in time. Doable if you concentrate on it.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I won this last night as the Japanese by getting 12 buildings and holding them to the end of the game turn. I think it was turn 7. I got two tanks to the Gurkha reinforcement entry area. The Gurkha's killed them but that took a turn away from them moving towards the buildings which is what I needed to get the last few buildings and set a block where the Gurkhas couldn't get to them. My sniper was wicked and was instrumental in taking the buildings on the other side of the swollen creek. And interesting and fun scenario for sure.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I won this last night as the Japanese by getting 12 buildings and holding them to the end of the game turn. I think it was turn 7. I got two tanks to the Gurkha reinforcement entry area. The Gurkha's killed them but that took a turn away from them moving towards the buildings which is what I needed to get the last few buildings and set a block where the Gurkhas couldn't get to them. My sniper was wicked and was instrumental in taking the buildings on the other side of the swollen creek. And interesting and fun scenario for sure.
Hi!

How did you get the tanks down there. Isn't the movement hampered by the rain/mud issues? I cannot remember off the top of my head if the paved road still is there.

I seem to remember movement is pretty slow.

I tried to run the gauntlet with the tanks alas, the AT RoF tear spelled the end to that. Same thing as happened in my other playing of it.

Roger

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

How did you get the tanks down there. Isn't the movement hampered by the rain/mud issues? I cannot remember off the top of my head if the paved road still is there.

I seem to remember movement is pretty slow.

I tried to run the gauntlet with the tanks alas, the AT RoF tear spelled the end to that. Same thing as happened in my other playing of it.

Roger
The road exists and SR 1 says muds extra MF/MP costs and bog effects are NA when crossing a road hexside. I took out the ATGs or their crews and one gun broke down. My opponent's gunners didn't fill their eyeglass prescription apparently. Then I blitzed two tanks right to the entry hexes.