ASL 11 AAR

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wanted to get back to playing more of the Core Modules so I put out a challenge to play all the scenarios from Yanks II, Hakaa Paalle and Rising Sun on VASL.
Fellow berserker Chuck Tewksbury answered the call. First up, ASL 11 "Defiance On Hill 30."

I had the US Para's for our first scenario (we will switch attacker/defender roles each scenario). I deployed one squad at setup: 4I10 (747), 4N9 (747/Baz), 2S9 (337 HS),
2S7 (1S Foxhole, 2 x 337's, Mortar, MMG), 8-0 in 2S6 (for rally duties), 2V8 (HIP 8-1, 747/baz), 2W9 (HIP Foxhole). Dummy counters were in 2Y7, 2T8, 4K9, 4L9 and 4M9. Boresighted hexes were 4O7 (Mortar) and 4J6 (MMG) - hope to pop a German unit moving through the grain.

Chuck took three avenues of approach in his attack: (1) through the 4G1-4H1 woods with the H5-I5-J4 wood line as an initial objective; (2) M1-P1 area and (3): the V0-Y1 area. Chucks initial moves were cautious .. obviously because of the threat posed by the Paras in 2S7.

Turns 1-6 saw both sides trading casualties, maneuvering and of course skulking. By turn 6, Chuck had eliminated the threat on the hill and was able to maneuver a bit more freely. My reinforcements arrived on Turn 5 automatically giving me a bonus of 3 CVP. At this point I had 6 CVP and Chuck's tally was 1 CVP. During Turn 6 Chuck maneuvered his "kill stacks" (one had a Heroic German 9-2) to the 4M10-4N9-4N10 area for his initial assault on the board 2 village.

Turn 7. In the German MPh, Chuck moved units to 4U10 and 4T9. My first defensive fire on 4U10 left a 1 Residual FP. Each unit that moved into 4U10 broke under fire from the 1 Residual! Unbelievable. Talk about a PMC going down the toilet. The Heroic 9-2 led the assault on building 2T8, passed the MC but the three squads that accompanied the Hero, broke under fire (i.e., rolled really, really High DR's!). The 747 Para's are tough at Point Blank Range. At this point, most of Chuck's forces were broken and out of position. I was ahead on CVP's and my Para's were firmly entrenched in the village controlling all the victory hexes. With two turns remaining after my Turn 7, Chuck conceded at this point.

I had forgotten how much fun these are to play .. win or lose. I was fortunate that my Para's were able to break up each attack just when it looked as though the Germans were about to get a foothold for an assault into the Board 2 village.

Next up from Yanks II .. ASL 12 "Confusion Reigns." Chuck will be defending against my US Para's. Until next time, Peace out ya'll!
Pierce

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On my top 10 of all time list.

Thanks Pierce!
Roy