ASL-091 "Ad Hoc At Beaurains".

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The 2 pdr armed Matilda II gets ROF 2. Did you catch my drift in regards to D1.84 (Optional Armament) ? Its something easily missed when playing VASL.
"However, in official scenarios only the armament configuration illustrated in the scenario OB is available unless the number of such vehicles required exceeds the number provided in the game, in which case the excess can be composed of vehicles with optional armament (of the owner's choice) provided that armament is available within that time frame."

So we have to count and track our physical counters? I haven't punched most of them!

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"However, in official scenarios only the armament configuration illustrated in the scenario OB is available unless the number of such vehicles required exceeds the number provided in the game, in which case the excess can be composed of vehicles with optional armament (of the owner's choice) provided that armament is available within that time frame."

So we have to count and track our physical counters? I haven't punched most of them!
That has some very weird implications for those of us who own HASL modules that could alter the numbers of specific vehicle counters we have in stock. To do things "right," we'd need to keep track not only of how many counters we have of a given vehicle type, but of their sources as well.

I can only hope that the general philosophy of scenario design has changed to specify which armament packages are used on what vehicles in what numbers.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I've always interpreted D1.84 to apply to the vehicle count provided in a single copy of the "base" module for that nationality, e.g., if you're counting American M4 Shermans, then you only need to consider what was provided in Yanks (and the Chapter H listings give you the number of counters, although it doesn't break down how many have what optional armament). Unfortunately the only way to identify how many of a particular type of counter you've got in order to comply with D1.84 is to look at the actual counters (or a reproduction or detailed summary of the countersheet).

It gets even more fiddly when you know that a new printing of an older module may contain a different number of counters than the original did. None have less, but a few have more. I don't think the Chapter H pages were updated to comply with this new info (maybe sometimes yes, sometimes no).

So it's all a bit of a mess. D1.84 was a rule written when the long-term future of the ASL system was not yet fully comprehended, and it's probably past its use-by date now. The best solution going forward is for scenario designers to be very specific about how many counters have what optional weapons. Because of the sometimes bewildering variety of optional extras on British vehicles it tends to affect them more than other nationalities.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
I've always interpreted D1.84 to apply to the vehicle count provided in a single copy of the "base" module for that nationality, e.g., if you're counting American M4 Shermans, then you only need to consider what was provided in Yanks (and the Chapter H listings give you the number of counters, although it doesn't break down how many have what optional armament). Unfortunately the only way to identify how many of a particular type of counter you've got in order to comply with D1.84 is to look at the actual counters (or a reproduction or detailed summary of the countersheet).

It gets even more fiddly when you know that a new printing of an older module may contain a different number of counters than the original did. None have less, but a few have more. I don't think the Chapter H pages were updated to comply with this new info (maybe sometimes yes, sometimes no).

So it's all a bit of a mess. D1.84 was a rule written when the long-term future of the ASL system was not yet fully comprehended, and it's probably past its use-by date now. The best solution going forward is for scenario designers to be very specific about how many counters have what optional weapons. Because of the sometimes bewildering variety of optional extras on British vehicles it tends to affect them more than other nationalities.
I think that designers generally are, and for the better part, it's only going to be an issue if you have at least 3 or more of a vehicle type, which is occurring less and less in this age of un-homogeneous OoB's.....