ASL-005 "In Sight Of The Volga" (John Knowles vs Robin Chung)

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
ASL-005 “In Sight Of The Volga”

(for photos, use link: http://twasler.666forum.com/t71-asl-005-in-sight-of-the-volga-john-vs-robin#98 )

This afternoon, Robin and I finished our game of ASL-005 “In Sight Of The Volga” that we began last Sunday. Robin played the defending Russians, whilst I played the attacking Germans. Once again, we played on a slightly enlarged, printed VASL map with parallel original boards to be used for LOS. It’s quite the experience to be playing the Beyond Valor scenarios in this way.

This scenario takes place on boards 1 and 20, depicting a German attempt to crush a Russian bridgehead. The Germans attack with 25 squads, 10 leaders, and 7 SWs. The Russians defend with 20 squads (6x 527, 14x 47), 5 leaders, 4 SWs, and a crewed 76*Inf gun. The Russians also receive 18 “?” counters, 6 trenches, may HIP 4 squads, and have a SAN of 7. The Russian also get 628 reinforcements entering along the east board edge equal to the color die of a DR made at the start of the Russian RPh, which is lower than the current turn number. The number of 628s received is reduced by 1 for each German half-squad or leader exited off the east edge. As long as at least 1 628 is received, there is a possibility that the Russians also receive a leader and/or an ammo boat which cancels the at start Ammunition Shortage (A19.131) that the Russians are affected by. If the Germans are the sole occupant of the 20C7 building (a Factory (B23.74) as per SSR 2), then the reinforcement DR is not made. The Germans win by having more GO squad-equivalents with a LOS off the east edge in the factory than the Russians have unbroken squads in the factory at the end of 10 full turns.

The Germans cannot be complacent; the longer they take to clear out the factory, the more 628s that the Russians will receive, and they are ideal for fighting in the factory with their heavy short range FP. Combined with a Commissar for quick rallying, the Factory can become a fortress. The 4 HIP Russian squads makes moving big stacks very hazardous, yet the Germans must attack quickly. However, the 10 squads allow for a lot of deployments, and the Germans can be comfortable rushing east in skirmish formation, a half-squad at a time, with follow-up MG nests to eliminate any Russians that break cover and fire at them. As long as the German hasn’t suffered heavy losses, the exiting of half-squads (and leaders whom won’t be missed) off the east edge is well worth it at an exchange rate of 1 628 per half-squad or leader. The Germans cannot do this forever, but the idea is to exit just enough each turn to keep the 628 reinforcements at bay long enough for the remaining Germans to clear out the 20C7 Factory.

This is quite an exciting scenario to play, since every half-squad matters in this one. The Germans must shut down the reinforcements by either exiting units, clearing out the factory, or both. Robin set up in a cordon of concealed units across the Russian forward line, and upper level strong-points providing supporting fire from the rear. I deployed the maximum at-start of 3 squads, and during the first few Rally Phases, I made many more attempts.

On turn 1, my half-squads rush eastwards, while MG nests cover them with Opportunity Fire (A7.25). Because of the high Russian SAN of 7, I also keep a few half-squad pickets, whose sole purpose is to get between the Russian SAN counter and more important targets in the hope of drawing SAN attacks away from the MG nests (and their ‘-2’ leaders) in particular. Initially, the Russian defense does a good job of slowing down my half-squads, but the over-watch MG nests are able to hit the Russians hard.

In turn 2, my MG nests enjoy good rates of fire (ROF), and subsequently, the half-squads are able to move a lot quicker. The Russians have lost 7 squads, one leader, the 76*Inf gun, and its crew. The Germans have lost 1.5 squads.

In turn 3, the Germans push on eastwards, even pushing their MG nests forward. Meanwhile, the Russians do their utmost to get their remaining squads back to the factory. No reinforcements for the Russians yet.

In turn 4, the Germans continue to push eastward. 3 half-squads exit the east edge, as the first German units begin to enter the factory. The Russian reinforcement DR is [1,2] , so 1 628 squad is received, but it is negated by 1 of the 3 German half-squads just exited. That way, the Russians will get no reinforcements on Russian turn 4, since 3 is the most that they can receive, and the 3 half-squads exited will be enough to cancel the arrivals. The remaining 2 exited half-squads will be supplemented in my turn 5 by 2 more half-squads, bringing the total to 4, once again canceling any and all potential reinforcements during turn 5. This approach is the key to not getting overwhelmed by 628s, yet still having enough squad strength to clear out the factory.

In my turn 5, I am able to overwhelm the factory, clearing out all Russian units, subsequently shutting off the SSR4 reinforcement DR. With the Russians now reduced to 5 squads (3 GO) and 2 leaders (1 GO), Robin waves the white flag. My attack ran pretty much according to plan. The Germans have quite a bit to do, and are needing to move rapidly in a difficult urban environment. But the ability to deploy heavily allows the tactical flexibility to overwhelm the Russians by superior maneuver. Oh, and the ‘-2’ directed MG nests help, too.

It was fun to play this scenario again, always a tense feeling to play this one !!!!

John.

Last edited:

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always liked this scenario, isn't it interesting how so many areas of staligrad look exactly the same!

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Have you guys tried the Valor of The Guards version, VG18?
Yep. But I still think that the original has a more unique feel to it. They are both fine scenarios, but the VotG version affords the Germans a lot more access to smoke, making it a not-especially-unique combined arms scenario. The original offers no such smoke possibilities, nor Armored Assault. The Germans have to use cunning and guile to get to the Volga, and with the amount of deployment that 10 leaders offer, the opportunity is there.

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL-005 “In Sight Of The Volga”

(for photos, use link: http://twasler.666forum.com/t71-asl-005-in-sight-of-the-volga-john-vs-robin#98 )

This afternoon, Robin and I finished our game of ASL-005 “In Sight Of The Volga” that we began last Sunday. Robin played the defending Russians, whilst I played the attacking Germans. Once again, we played on a slightly enlarged, printed VASL map with parallel original boards to be used for LOS. It’s quite the experience to be playing the Beyond Valor scenarios in this way.

This scenario takes place on boards 1 and 20, depicting a German attempt to crush a Russian bridgehead. The Germans attack with 25 squads, 10 leaders, and 7 SWs. The Russians defend with 20 squads (6x 527, 14x 47), 5 leaders, 4 SWs, and a crewed 76*Inf gun. The Russians also receive 18 “?” counters, 6 trenches, may HIP 4 squads, and have a SAN of 7. The Russian also get 628 reinforcements entering along the east board edge equal to the color die of a DR made at the start of the Russian RPh, which is lower than the current turn number. The number of 628s received is reduced by 1 for each German half-squad or leader exited off the east edge. As long as at least 1 628 is received, there is a possibility that the Russians also receive a leader and/or an ammo boat which cancels the at start Ammunition Shortage (A19.131) that the Russians are affected by. If the Germans are the sole occupant of the 20C7 building (a Factory (B23.74) as per SSR 2), then the reinforcement DR is not made. The Germans win by having more GO squad-equivalents with a LOS off the east edge in the factory than the Russians have unbroken squads in the factory at the end of 10 full turns.

The Germans cannot be complacent; the longer they take to clear out the factory, the more 628s that the Russians will receive, and they are ideal for fighting in the factory with their heavy short range FP. Combined with a Commissar for quick rallying, the Factory can become a fortress. The 4 HIP Russian squads makes moving big stacks very hazardous, yet the Germans must attack quickly. However, the 10 squads allow for a lot of deployments, and the Germans can comfortable rushing east in skirmish formation, a half-squad at a time, with follow-up MG nests to eliminate any Russians that break cover and fire at them. As long as the German hasn’t suffered heavy losses, the exiting of half-squads (and leaders whom won’t be missed) off the east edge is well worth it at an exchange rate of 1 628 per half-squad or leader. The Germans cannot do this forever, but the idea is to exit just enough each turn to keep the 628 reinforcements at bay long enough for the remaining Germans to clear out the 20C7 Factory.

This is quite an exciting scenario to play, since every half-squad matters in this one. The Germans must shut down the reinforcements by either exiting units, clearing out the factory, or both. Robin set up in a cordon of concealed units across the Russian forward line, and upper level strong-points providing supporting fire from the rear. I deployed the maximum at-start of 3 squads, and during the first few Rally Phases, I made many more attempts.

On turn 1, my half-squads rush eastwards, while MG nests cover them with Opportunity Fire (A7.25). Because of the high Russian SAN of 7, I also keep a few half-squad pickets, whose sole purpose is to get between the Russian SAN counter and more important targets in the hope of drawing SAN attacks away from the MG nests (and their ‘-2’ leaders) in particular. Initially, the Russian defense does a good job of slowing down my half-squads, but the over-watch MG nests are able to hit the Russians hard.

In turn 2, my MG nests enjoy good rates of fire (ROF), and subsequently, the half-squads are able to move a lot quicker. The Russians have lost 7 squads, one leader, the 76*Inf gun, and its crew. The Germans have lost 1.5 squads.

In turn 3, the Germans push on eastwards, even pushing their MG nests forward. Meanwhile, the Russians do their utmost to get their remaining squads back to the factory. No reinforcements for the Russians yet.

In turn 4, the Germans continue to push eastward. 3 half-squads exit the east edge, as the first German units begin to enter the factory. The Russian reinforcement DR is [1,2] , so 1 628 squad is received, but it is negated by 1 of the 3 German half-squads just exited. That way, the Russians will get no reinforcements on Russian turn 4, since 3 is the most that they can receive, and the 3 half-squads exited will be enough to cancel the arrivals. The remaining 2 exited half-squads will be supplemented in my turn 5 by 2 more half-squads, bringing the total to 4, once again canceling any and all potential reinforcements during turn 5. This approach is the key to not getting overwhelmed by 628s, yet still having enough squad strength to clear out the factory.

In my turn 5, I am able to overwhelm the factory, clearing out all Russian units, subsequently shutting off the SSR4 reinforcement DR. With the Russians now reduced to 5 squads (3 GO) and 2 leaders (1 GO), Robin waves the white flag. My attack ran pretty much according to plan. The Germans have quite a bit to do, and are needing to move rapidly in a difficult urban environment. But the ability to deploy heavily allows the tactical flexibility to overwhelm the Russians by superior maneuver. Oh, and the ‘-2’ directed MG nests help, too.

It was fun to play this scenario again, always a tense feeling to play this one !!!!

John.
Good report.
Question: what printer & software were used to print the larger boards. They look fantastic.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Yep. But I still think that the original has a more unique feel to it. They are both fine scenarios, but the VotG version affords the Germans a lot more access to smoke, making it a not-especially-unique combined arms scenario. The original offers no such smoke possibilities, nor Armored Assault. The Germans have to use cunning and guile to get to the Volga, and with the amount of deployment that 10 leaders offer, the opportunity is there.
Interesting perspective. Scenarios on historical boards are always my first choice, and the more varied OBs of both sides provide a range of opportunities and challenges. There is an option for German smoke in the original, but at 16% per roll there will undoubtedly be considerably less of it.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting perspective. Scenarios on historical boards are always my first choice, and the more varied OBs of both sides provide a range of opportunities and challenges. There is an option for German smoke in the original, but at 16% per roll there will undoubtedly be considerably less of it.
Like you I prefer a HASL treatment of an action usually. However, the one clear exception that I have come across is The Commissar's House. In its original presentation (Geo) it's a tense affair, at least at the end of the scenario and actually fun to play regardless. The initial HASL treatment of the same action on the RB maps is a real barker! I've played it at least 3 times vs three different opponents (Twice as German, once as Russian) hoping my previous attempt(s) were just due to unforeseen circumstances or poor set ups; alas it was not to be, German easy win every time! I hope that with the release of RF they have seriously redone this scenario.

Joelist

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

I am looking at RB10 as presented in Red Factories. And it is indeed updated as it says in the italics at the top.

The Germans lost an 8-0 and an 8-1 along with one 8-3-8 being downgraded to a 4-6-7. In addition of the 8-3-8s 5 are Assault Engineers, which now have their own unit type so you no longer have to remember their characteristics.

The Soviets converted a 4-4-7 to a 4-5-8 and also converted one to a 6-2-8. They also gained 3 LMG and 6 Concealment counters whilst losing the Trenches. Also the Commissar's House itself is a Fortified Building

Finally the Red Factories rules specifically state that all Red Factories Chapter O and SSR apply to all scenarios. As a result, all the Soviet MMC are Stealthy. This means stuff like RB Cellars and the like are in play.

Should be interesting.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
RB10 is an update of of scenario AH2 - not scenario 4.

Hi!

I am looking at RB10 as presented in Red Factories. And it is indeed updated as it says in the italics at the top.

The Germans lost an 8-0 and an 8-1 along with one 8-3-8 being downgraded to a 4-6-7. In addition of the 8-3-8s 5 are Assault Engineers, which now have their own unit type so you no longer have to remember their characteristics.

The Soviets converted a 4-4-7 to a 4-5-8 and also converted one to a 6-2-8. They also gained 3 LMG and 6 Concealment counters whilst losing the Trenches. Also the Commissar's House itself is a Fortified Building

Finally the Red Factories rules specifically state that all Red Factories Chapter O and SSR apply to all scenarios. As a result, all the Soviet MMC are Stealthy. This means stuff like RB Cellars and the like are in play.

Should be interesting.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These are the updates:
German:
Add four 8-3-8 AE and a 4-6-7. Drop five regular 8-3-8, one 8-1, and one 8-0.

Russian:
Exchange two 4-4-7 for a 6-2-8 and 4-5-8 and add two LMG and add 6 “?”.
Thanks, my RF got cancled for various reasons so it'll be a while before I get the revamped version as I have to re-order. I appreciate the update!

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These are the updates:
German:
Add four 8-3-8 AE and a 4-6-7. Drop five regular 8-3-8, one 8-1, and one 8-0.

Russian:
Exchange two 4-4-7 for a 6-2-8 and 4-5-8 and add two LMG and add 6 “?”.
Scenario 4 The Commissar's House (geo) is a better design than AH2 The Commissar's House (HASL).

When updating AH2 to RB10, we tweaked the balance some, but we did not redesign the scenario.

Joelist

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RB10 is an update of of scenario AH2 - not scenario 4.
Thanks Klaus! I was indeed looking at S4, as I have never had access to AH2. I got the two conflated.

Perry, I will be playing this to ascertain the effect of the balance changes. Was it played with the overlays or without or both (so that I recreate conditions correctly)?

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was it played with the overlays or without or both (so that I recreate conditions correctly)?
It was not played with the overlays, unlike RB12 (which has them listed in the SSRs).

But don't that stop you from using them if you prefer.

Joelist

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well based on the first playing the Russians need more help. Basically they got vaporized by the off the charts German firepower and with 9 turns the Germans had little need to take risks.