Not open for further replies.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Crap. So does that mean you guys get all of Lake Erie back? Not that it'd be a great loss, but still. I'd rather lose that than the UP.
I'd settle for a bit of southern California,... maybe something south of LA, north of San Diego and a bit sandy (avoid that forest fire business).

We did cheat on the last day. We were supposed to receive a final attack and then launch the final counter thrust to drive the enemy back. That seemed too passive for the CO so he sent part of Recce Squadron over the Battle River near Centurion Field where we thought the Red's had harboured for the night. The recce lads found them, snug in their hides and sent word back.

We sent two sabre squadrons across a ford upstream and then concentrated in the woods at the far end of the field. The third squadron remained behind on the far bank to make themselves look like an armoured regiment. At the appointed time the order was given and the forty plus vehicles broke cover and charged across Centurion Field.

We caught the baddies looking towards the crossing and they didn't see us until were almost on top of them. Umpire vehicles chasing along behind us.

We literally charged right through their positions rattling off blank ammunition, hoot'in and holler'in like maniacs. The American commander complained but the umpires were laughing their asses off and shrugged.

Fortunes of war.

End Ex.

We hosted the Yanks in our various field messes that night (enlisted, NCO and officer). It appears the US Army is 'dry' when in the field but their CO relaxed the rules for the night. The Canadian beer seemed to be well received by our guests (beer I wouldn't touch today ?).

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'd settle for a bit of southern California,... maybe something south of LA, north of San Diego and a bit sandy (avoid that forest fire business).

We did cheat on the last day. We were supposed to receive a final attack and then launch the final counter thrust to drive the enemy back. That seemed too passive for the CO so he sent part of Recce Squadron over the Battle River near Centurion Field where we thought the Red's had harboured for the night. The recce lads found them, snug in their hides and sent word back.

We sent two sabre squadrons across a ford upstream and then concentrated in the woods at the far end of the field. The third squadron remained behind on the far bank to make themselves look like an armoured regiment. At the appointed time the order was given and the forty plus vehicles broke cover and charged across Centurion Field.

We caught the baddies looking towards the crossing and they didn't see us until were almost on top of them. Umpire vehicles chasing along behind us.

We literally charged right through their positions rattling off blank ammunition, hoot'in and holler'in like maniacs. The American commander complained but the umpires were laughing their asses off and shrugged.

Fortunes of war.

End Ex.

We hosted the Yanks in our various field messes that night (enlisted, NCO and officer). It appears the US Army is 'dry' when in the field but their CO relaxed the rules for the night. The Canadian beer seemed to be well received by our guests (beer I wouldn't touch today ?).
Beer? Sigh. Well I always say any port in a storm but there is a reason professional drunks are called winos.?????????

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
True story. Fort Sill, OK, fired into the Lawton city Wal-Mart.

I got to talk to my nephew when he was training with the artillery in the Army. He told me that during one of the exercises, a round had gone off the reservation and put a big hole in the parking lot of a Walmart. Fortunately it was around 3am and nobody was there. He never said how or who, so I have no idea what was done to the responsible party.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
True story. Fort Sill, OK, fired into the Lawton city Wal-Mart.
Google doesn't turn up a Walmart, but does find this, about Fort Sill gunners who were cleared after a fatal accident:

Also finds an article about Fort Smith gunners knocking down some lady's garage....

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was like 20-30 years ago

Google doesn't turn up a Walmart, but does find this, about Fort Sill gunners who were cleared after a fatal accident:

Also finds an article about Fort Smith gunners knocking down some lady's garage....

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Nothing in newspapers.com, frustratingly enough. Just this from 1989:

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the group of Soldiers in formation were in boot camp.
IIRC the round that landed in Wal-Mart was an MLRS training rocket.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
What do you guys reckon is the TK# of the Soviet RPG-2? CH give it a TK# of 17. But they tend to down play the efficiency of weapons.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Another question. Was the Baz50 really so powerful? FW gives it a TK# of 32. Could it really eliminate an IS-3 from the front? CH give the Baz50 a TK# of 20. Big difference.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The M20 Rocket launcher was known as the Super-Bazooka. It fired a 3.5" shaped charge projectile that could penetrate 11" (280mm) of armour out to as far as 900 yards (870 meters). It weighed in at just 12 lbs (5.45 kg). A lot had been learned about shaped charges since 1943.

The WWII Baz was only a 66mm (2.36"), weighed 15 lbs and had a penetration of less than 5" (less against sloped armour, including that found on T-34/85s in Korea). The TK# of 32 seems reasonable enough. The CH TK# of 20 is far too low.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
"...including that found on T-34/85s in Korea..."

I had thought, based on books like "South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu", that much of the poor showing of the 2.36" bazooka was due to the age and poor stowage conditions of the rounds, causing penetrations to drop well below what had been experienced in WW2.

Status
Not open for further replies.