As if more proof was needed that gaming is dead

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Re: Battlefield Hardline

I am a backer for Star Citizen but I know what you mean, especially after delay after delay and Star Citizen now branching off into god knows what. Now they are even talking about making languages for their aliens. Crap, I just want to play the game and they can't even get the sling shot bug out after nearly 2 weeks of 'extensive' digging in to find the problem! But of course if I say this on the white hot Star Citizen Fanboi sites I would be downloaded to oblivion. lol. One thing I learned, never invest in Kickstarters.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I am a backer for Star Citizen but I know what you mean, especially after delay after delay and Star Citizen now branching off into god knows what. Now they are even talking about making languages for their aliens.
You serious? LOL! I didn't expect that! Talk about feature creep....

Crap, I just want to play the game and they can't even get the sling shot bug out after nearly 2 weeks of 'extensive' digging in to find the problem! But of course if I say this on the white hot Star Citizen Fanboi sites I would be downloaded to oblivion. lol. One thing I learned, never invest in Kickstarters.
Amen.

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan

Yeah, I'm a sucker for a pretty spaceship. :(

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll

I thought you guys would be interested in reading a discussion on PC gaming's current state that is going on over at Video Game Geek right now.
Illustrating perfectly that the console market is in an even worse state than the PC gaming market. If there is one thing that I would disagree with in this thread, it is the thread title. I don't think that gaming is dead.

It is in deep trouble though.

The consolers are looking to PC as the answer to what they perceive is the problem with the console gaming. The PC gamers are bemoaning the current state of the PC gaming scene due to the self-inflicted greed culture that has overtaken the major players. The major houses are churning out mega-buggy and broken triple A clones as fast as they can then moving on to the next release after a phased DLC programme and an insincere attempt to fix the major bugs, and PC gamers are rebelling against it. Hardly anyone trusts developers these days and is it any wonder?

The Alien Isolation forum over at steam is at war with itself between the "For God's sake don't pre-order it" crowd and the "Don't tell me what I can and can't do with my own money" crowd. Let's be clear here. This is civil war between gamers. Both sides want the game to be good when it releases in October but in the meantime are having fun beating each other up. Fanboys over at Star Citizen are so defensive of the game because they have invested a lot of money into it and they instinctively feel that something is fundamentally rotten at its core.

And back at the ranch, the major players keep getting sleazier and more disreputable.

[video=youtube;EC0mkuM1FYI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC0mkuM1FYI&list=UUqg5FCR7NrpvlBWMXdt-5Vg[/video]

Fortunately, there is plenty of life beyond the major players and while the Triple A scene is generally imploding while promoting "Now That's What I Call of Duty 37" and its DRM-heavy derivatives, there are many indie developers who are enjoying success precisely because they ARE NOT money-grabbing, sleazy, lying, bastard, snake-oil salesmen. Glory to Arstotzka!

Best wishes,
Steve

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

I'm biased, but I do see the corporate culture of the console scene as being one of the primary drivers of the demise of quality PC gaming. Was there ever a time when console games weren't utter crap? Add to that the fact that the console makers (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) have a much bigger say over what games get made and what games don't as well as what those games will be like, and you have a recipe for fail sauce.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yeah, I'm a sucker for a pretty spaceship. :(
Oh, don't misunderstand: I wasn't asking if you were serious about backing SC, I was just incredulous that they are wasting time and money developing an alien language!

I have no problem with people backing game projects they like. Back when SC started its fund raising, I was tempted to join in, too. I didn't because I decided that I rather save the money for a game that was ready now than use it for a game that would be ready who-knows-when. I have, however, backed other games pre-release - not Kickstarters, but what would now be called "early access" programs. My big winner was Frozen Synapse - a fantastic game delivered on time. Others: Kerbal Space Program, Scrolls, and a space strategy game stuck in alpha for years now. That last one would seem to be my only bad investment so far.

Shunwick said:
If there is one thing that I would disagree with in this thread, it is the thread title. I don't think that gaming is dead.
Oh, I don't think gaming will ever truly die, as books, the theatre, movies, television have never died either despite their respective industry's determined efforts to run those genres into the ground, too. I just meant that what is often referred to as "The Second Golden Age of Gaming" (2003-2008) is dead.

It is in deep trouble though.

The consolers are looking to PC as the answer to what they perceive is the problem with the console gaming. The PC gamers are bemoaning the current state of the PC gaming scene due to the self-inflicted greed culture that has overtaken the major players. The major houses are churning out mega-buggy and broken triple A clones as fast as they can then moving on to the next release after a phased DLC programme and an insincere attempt to fix the major bugs, and PC gamers are rebelling against it. Hardly anyone trusts developers these days and is it any wonder?
Well said!

The Alien Isolation forum over at steam is at war with itself between the "For God's sake don't pre-order it" crowd and the "Don't tell me what I can and can't do with my own money" crowd.
LOL! I've seen many a similar debate. :D These days, unless it is a dev that I really, truly respect (Stardock comes to mind, and only because after the spectacular failure of EWoM, they made more than good with their two free games compensation deal), I am in the former camp.

Fanboys over at Star Citizen are so defensive of the game because they have invested a lot of money into it and they instinctively feel that something is fundamentally rotten at its core.
Yup. Yup. I think the story I posted above about those game devs who blew over half a million dollars on nonsense is a harbinger of what is coming with SC. I hope not, but as I wrote somewhere else, throwing large bags of money at a wishlist-based project is exactly how the federal government works, and that hasn't worked too well.

Thanks for the vid! Jim Sterling has done some good work on this sad state of affairs. For me, the solution is to never pre-order or buy on Day 1. Instead, gamers should make it a rule to do what I have been doing: never pay full price for a title. Wait the weeks until the first real sale occurs. By then, you will know whether or not the game is worthwhile AND you will be sending a strong message to all devs that they have become so disreputable that they are no worthy of their initial price tag.

BTW: This is why I am actually a proponent of F2P games. This format has saved me a ton of money over the last few years. And despite what gamers might say, there HAVE BEEN some really good titles that are F2P (Hawken, IMO the best mech game out there, WoT, War Thunder, LotRO, Ghost Recon Online, Hearthstone, Team Fortress 2 and a bunch of others). Seeing how little trust I have for most devs, the F2P model provides me with a risk-free chance to try before I buy.

Fortunately, there is plenty of life beyond the major players and while the Triple A scene is generally imploding while promoting "Now That's What I Call of Duty 37" and its DRM-heavy derivatives, there are many indie developers who are enjoying success precisely because they ARE NOT money-grabbing, sleazy, lying, bastard, snake-oil salesmen. Glory to Arstotzka!
There have been some good indie titles, but really nothing more than the number of good AAA titles. I really haven't seen the indie scene as some sort of savior. A lot of those titles have been mediocre at launch, too, or even completely imploded during development. Again, AAA mega studio or indie garage studio, the problem is industry-wide.

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan

No worries. I actually think developing Alien Languages is a bloody waste of money too! But I can't say that on RSI Forums because I've was given a 10 year ban for the following:

'I look really forward to Matchmaking (mechanic) because it takes away the challenge of beating someone better than me and saves me from embarrassment of being beaten by someone with lesser skills.'

They even skipped the mandatory probation for this one. Yep, Fanbois won't kill Star Citizen - never happen.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

No worries. I actually think developing Alien Languages is a bloody waste of money too! But I can't say that on RSI Forums because I've was given a 10 year ban for the following:

'I look really forward to Matchmaking (mechanic) because it takes away the challenge of beating someone better than me and saves me from embarrassment of being beaten by someone with lesser skills.'

They even skipped the mandatory probation for this one. Yep, Fanbois won't kill Star Citizen - never happen.
How the heck is that ban worthy?!? Are you serious? You actually got a ban for such an innocuous remark?!?

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll

Oh, I don't think gaming will ever truly die, as books, the theatre, movies, television have never died either despite their respective industry's determined efforts to run those genres into the ground, too. I just meant that what is often referred to as "The Second Golden Age of Gaming" (2003-2008) is dead.
Ah, now that makes sense.

BTW: This is why I am actually a proponent of F2P games. This format has saved me a ton of money over the last few years. And despite what gamers might say, there HAVE BEEN some really good titles that are F2P (Hawken, IMO the best mech game out there, WoT, War Thunder, LotRO, Ghost Recon Online, Hearthstone, Team Fortress 2 and a bunch of others). Seeing how little trust I have for most devs, the F2P model provides me with a risk-free chance to try before I buy.
I am not a multiplayer person myself but F2P seems a reasonable model for trying out a game.

There have been some good indie titles, but really nothing more than the number of good AAA titles. I really haven't seen the indie scene as some sort of savior. A lot of those titles have been mediocre at launch, too, or even completely imploded during development. Again, AAA mega studio or indie garage studio, the problem is industry-wide.
Yes, I am not trying to suggest that Indies are the solution to the problem. Just that not everyone is EA, Ubisoft or Activision etc.

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan

How the heck is that ban worthy?!? Are you serious? You actually got a ban for such an innocuous remark?!?
Yep. lol. Didn't even get the one week, followed by one month and if I am still 'bad' then 1 year probation. **** I hate Fanbois and Fanboi Moderators.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Kain gets close to the truth but slightly misses the mark. The problem isn't that playing "Early Access" or beta titles lessens our enjoyment of the finished game, but that often the finished game NEVER arrives and we are left with just an Early Access beta. The problem is actually bigger than what he suggests.

[h=1]Video Game Hype Train Better Watch Your Speed[/h]

I’m getting tired of playing unfinished products. I know beta testing is important, but when a beta itself becomes the biggest headline in video game news I think that’s a sign: The video game industry is running on hype fumes. And it’s getting old.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Another specimen to add to my bell jar of shame: Doublefine Productions. Yes, even this respected dev has now decided to do the cash-grab two-step. They have recently been working on an interesting title called Spacebase DF-9. Basically, this was trying to be a Sims/Sim City in space. It sounded great! As a result, it entered into an "early access" program and got a lot of backers. However, after some time, the game began to stall, and the backers started to get anxious. But in August, Doublefine released an Alpha 6 and this missive to calm the fans:

Double Fine is not a random fly-by-night indie dev and we are not going to silently pull the plug on Spacebase or any other in-development project. Doing so would be disastrous for our reputation and it would kill us emotionally ;____;
Today, approximately one month later, this announcement was released:

Big news everyone, Spacebase DF-9 1.0 will be released next month! It’s been a pleasure sharing this experience with those of you who picked the game up during Early Access and provided the feedback that helped shape it into what it has become.

We’re also pleased to announce we’ll be releasing the game’s full Lua source code a short time after 1.0, which will allow the community to create potentially far-ranging mods that add content, new features, and change some fundamental game behaviors. We’ll of course be sticking around a bit for bug fixing and support, but any new content for the game will now be in your hands. We’re eager to see what people do with this game!
Hurrah! A rushed 1.0 and the community gets to finish the game! What a great, new business model! :rolleyes:

I am really getting sick of this. To take a trip through the pages of this thread really paints a dark, disreputable picture for gaming. This cannot go on for much longer....

PS: Thanks to Steve58 for bringing this to my attention.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The LUA source code won't bring you very far as far as fixing goes...

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll

Early Access is a huge risk. Investors in Early Access titles (and they are investors not purchasers) assume the risk that Early Access sales will not be high enough to generate the revenue that the developer needs to fund further development.

I have said before and I will say it again. Gamers should not be venture capitalists unless they fully understand the risks involved.

I am sorry for the those who feel they have been cheated out of their money. But they have not. They are simply ignorant of how venture capitalism works. I am fairly sure they don't even realize they are venture capitalists.

Best wishes,
steve

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

I am sorry for the those who feel they have been cheated out of their money. But they have not. They are simply ignorant of how venture capitalism works. I am fairly sure they don't even realize they are venture capitalists.
While that may essentially be true, the publishers don't go out of their way to put it in such terms for the gamers.

It's like Neil Young said, "You pay for this but they give you that..."

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll

While that may essentially be true, the publishers don't go out of their way to put it in such terms for the gamers.

It's like Neil Young said, "You pay for this but they give you that..."
True. But there is also the problem that gamers refuse to be educated on the matter. When it comes to throwing money at games, all common sense disappears. If you try to explain Early Access you will get labelled as a "hater" and ridiculed. Getting between a "gamer" and his object of desire is not a safe place to be.

This is the Steam warning on the game page:-

This Early Access game may or may not change significantly over the course of development. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you may want to wait until the game progresses further in development.
And there is link for more information on Early Access games.

Steam's Early Access information link

And this is from that page:-

When will these games release?
Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state.
Is it enough? Probably not. But you cannot educate people who remain willfully ignorant of what they are investing in.

Best wishes,
Steve

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I think you are both correct. Shunwick, you are right about the gamers who jump into early access with the idea that it means the game is at a v.9 and ready to go with a patch or two. To be fair, I think the gaming press encourages this idea. How many alpha titles have I seen the gaming press hype to ridiculous levels over the last year alone? Interestingly, many of those titles never left early access (I am looking at you DayZ!). Nonetheless, lots of gamers - especially younger gamers - were persuaded to throw their money at the game because of glowing articles that accentuated the positive and completely glossed over the work left to be done.

And Don, you are right. How many devs are also engaging in shady conduct that abuses the idea of an "early access" title? While I have come across a handful of devs who make it very clear that "early access" means the game is far from finished, and even more commendably a few even explain quite clearly that the game may NEVER be finished due to unforeseen problems, most just tell you what is planned for the game and how great it is going to be, with the official "early access" definition getting little more than an asterisk. That is bad, but what is worse is what we just saw with Doublefine, and more than a few other devs, where once the game runs into trouble for one reason or another, instead of coming out and doing the honest thing - basically what Brad Wardell did with Elemental when he presented a honest and concise explanation of why the game failed - they just either quietly disappear without explanation, or put a quick "1.0" and disappear. Adding insult to injury, they often continue to sell the early access title right up to the moment they officially disappear!

That is what really rankles me. Why can't these guys just man up and be honest? Why not just pull the game once you know that there is a potentially fatal problem? And why not come to the community and explain this early on? No. Instead they keep stringing the community along, keep pocketing the early access cash, and then just quietly slink away when no one is looking. :nada: This shows a serious lack of ethics on the part of the industry.