Artistic Experiment With Toaw

Mompariglia

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Greetings. I had an idea, I don't know if anyone already proposed it in the past. Anyway, I'll try to explain myself: the idea is to repeat those paintings where different artists paint only one segment of the picture, each artist starting where the previous one stopped, the result is that you can see different styles at once.
We can repeat this with TOAW choosing a very long scenario: the first two players play some turn (let's say for example 5 turns), then they pass the file and the passwords to other players they choose and the story repeats. A variation is that one of the players could remain the same, and only the adversaries would swap. It would be very nice to see what comes out...
M

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
This was tried once before using 4 players a side and the "Invasion Amerika" scenario, sadly it just petered out. It wasn't a success as a game as each Axis player seemed to have a different idea of where to attack and things got somewhat chaotic.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Something similar is being done in our DNO multiplayer where several commanders has been through the four major axis commands.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mensch - Actually, I don't think it would be that difficult to get that aspect under better control. There just has to be a degree of cooperation on the part of the Axis players. (Both sides, actually). It would not be too difiicult to have a 15 minute chat online sometime, and just figure out what the general plan is. Each commander is free to interpret that plan in their own way, but at least there will be overarching strategic objectives that all Commanders will be on the same page about.

Quite frankly, I'd have to say the Axis side in the game suffered from extremely poor teamwork in the first couple of turns for each player. :) I launched the initial invasion, and then sent the turn to Brian (Allies), I believe. When I went next, (the 1st player to do a 2nd turn), iirc there were now 5 or 6 beachheads, with 2 of them in imminent danger of being pushed into the ocean. :laugh: I spent my entire turn on defence, shoring up these pockets as best I could so they'd hold the turn out, and wondering if I was throwing good troops after bad, rofl!

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
Oh, I agree. Your remark about being on the defensive sparked a memory of that game. I recall that I felt inclined to play rather conservatively. I kept thinking, "I need to make sure X, Y & Z are set up for the player(s) who come after me."

To use hockey terms - I was so focused on the assist, I forgot about taking the shot. ;)

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Exactly!

You know, I wouldn't even mind trying that again sometime. It was alot of fun, and could be even more enjoyable if we acted like a team, lol!

Mompariglia

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Very well, which scenario do you suggest? It shouldn't be too big, otherwise we wouldn't have many players joining the party. Invasion Amerika is an excellent scenario, there are many options throughout the game and it has enough turns to let a lot of people play.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think the first step would be to see how many people are interested in getting involved. It would have to be a reasonably serious committment, as there is more than one person depending on everyone's continued involvement...

Mompariglia

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I hoped we could be more than 4 or 5. The nice thing was to see the mess resulting from 20 people interpreting the situation.