Artificial Intelligence View of ASL

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence application trained to conduct dialogs. It is causing great consternation in academic circles as can write essays that are indistinguishable from human work.

There is a beta version that is available to anybody that creates a (free) signon at OpenAI.com

I asked ChatGPT to "Tell what you know about the advanced squad leader game". This response was returned in about 5 seconds.
ote]
Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) is a tabletop wargame that simulates tactical level warfare in World War II. It was first published in 1985 and is considered by many to be one of the most complex and realistic wargames available. ASL features a large number of different scenarios, ranging from small-scale skirmishes to large-scale battles, and includes a wide variety of different military units, including infantry, tanks, artillery, and more. The game is played on a hex-grid map, and features a large number of detailed rules covering everything from line-of-sight to morale and supply. ASL has a large and dedicated following, with many players participating in organized leagues and tournaments.

ChatGPT Jan 30 Version. Free Research Preview. Our goal is to make AI systems more natural and safe to interact with. Your feedback will help us improve.
I then asked it "Tell me how you might play a scenario of advanced squad leader". This response took 12 seconds. Incredible. This was without any "training".

A scenario in Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) is typically played in the following steps:

Set-up: The players agree on which scenario to play and set up the game board, terrain pieces, and units as specified in the scenario instructions.

Initiative: The player with initiative (usually determined by a die roll) chooses which side they want to play and takes the first turn.

Movement: The player whose turn it is moves their units one at a time, following the rules for movement and terrain effects.

Fire Combat: The player can choose to fire with their units that have line-of-sight to enemy units. The fire combat results are determined by rolling dice and comparing the results to the unit's fire power and target's armor factor.

Close Combat: If units end their movement adjacent to enemy units, close combat can occur. The close combat results are determined in a similar manner as fire combat, using different combat factors and mechanics.

End of Turn: Once both players have taken their turn, the game moves to the next turn. The game continues in this manner until one side achieves its objective or the predetermined number of turns has been reached.

Victory: At the end of the game, the player who has achieved their objective or has the most victory points, as specified in the scenario instructions, is declared the winner.

Note: This is a general overview of the basic flow of a scenario in ASL. The rules are complex and include many details and exceptions, so it is important to carefully read and understand the scenario instructions and the rulebook.

ChatGPT Jan 30 Version. Free Research Preview. Our goal is to make AI systems more natural and safe to interact with. Your feedback will help us improve.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The smarter computers get the dumber we get.
Meh.

Fundamentally, ChatGPT is a natural language synthesizer atop an Internet/digitized_libraries scraper. [That's simplistic, but essentially correct.]

Re ASL (aside from having better grammar than some of us) it can't get intrinsically smarter than we geniuses here, you know. ;)

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Computers are the best in the world at:

A. Backgammon
B. Checkers
C. Chess
D. Go
E. Drug interaction prediction
F. Realtime Options trading

It is only a matter of time until they can do every intellectual task better than any human.

Sounds like the beginning of a great SciFi movie, except is is for real.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok you sucked me in: "If you were playing Advanced Squad Leader and failed your personal morale check, what would your opponent do?"
Answer: In Advanced Squad Leader, if a player fails their personal morale check, their opponent would take control of their troops and continue the game. The outcome would depend on how the opponent chooses to use those troops.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok you sucked me in: "If you were playing Advanced Squad Leader and failed your personal morale check, what would your opponent do?"
Answer: In Advanced Squad Leader, if a player fails their personal morale check, their opponent would take control of their troops and continue the game. The outcome would depend on how the opponent chooses to use those troops.
I’ve thought of a situation where a concession is refused and sides switched but manage a squeaky win anyways.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A judge in Colombia used ChatGPT to make a court ruling, in what is apparently the first time a legal decision has been made with the help of an AI text generator—or at least, the first time we know about it.
Judge Juan Manuel Padilla Garcia, who presides over the First Circuit Court in the city of Cartagena, said he used the AI tool to pose legal questions about the case and included its responses in his decision, according to a court document dated January 30, 2023.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
An acquaintance of mine and me dabbled with it recently. ChatGPT was not so sure whether what's going on in Ukraine could be considered a war but rather a military operation.

von Marwitz