Arnhem scenario design AAR/DAR

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
This i just one knuckleheads opinion. YMMV
It could certainly be an optional setting. Those 'Funster' types could have all the fun on their settings, and real wargamers could have their realistic fun at their setting. I must admit, it is fun to have units somehow instantaneously obey orders at the same time. Helps with gamey attacks and such. But, it's a bit funny to have lived through all that 'Borg' yacking way back in the day, only to have it replaced with just another version of it.

Instead of some wierdo scenario designers flicking some switch when designing the game, maybe the force loss numbers can be an agreed upon value between players. That might take 15 minutes of programming time, so that might not be in Elvis' budget...

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I think the following 'team' command and control scheme is easily doable (no matter what the nay-saying-fanbois-may-say).

When sectioning off a team, they can be given orders 'normally'. That is, as many as the game actually allows.
Once away from the Squad Leader, they can only be given further movement orders IF in C&C.
C&C means a voice/visual LOS to SL (or radio or wire commo).

An example would be:
A squad has panzershreck weapon. The squad teams off a AT element and orders it to move forward and occupy some woods near a road intersection. The rest of the squad (and SL) move around the woods to flank the road. Once both elements have completed their moves, they lose LOS with each other. The shreck may be given fire orders, covered arc orders and perhaps even small length crawl or hunt orders. But they may not be given run/quick/move. (I wish the game still had withdrawl but that was thrown out also). But the intent is that orders roll downhill and there are very little nodal command decisions. I would not necessarily think that the shreck would have delay to anything except hunt or crawl orders.

Now, since all of what I am suggesting is taking place during the orders phase (no one plays real time, I am sure of it), it is not the grand programming effort that the yahoos always imply. If it is, well...then something is wrong with the coders. And probably the code also.

One of the issues I see is that the 'orders' and 'SOP' are not evolved from CMx1 that much.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't waste 30 seconds of coding time on something like this. It is funny that whenever someone suggests a new feature they always say how little time it should take. And as you say above, it does change when playing RT and although you don't play real time that doesn't mean it doesn't exist for the game. Programming effort aside, it just isn't a good idea and if a player really believes it should be part of the then they can do it by not issuing movement orders when they think they shouldn't be allowed. No need for additional programming, whether it takes 1 minute or 6 month to code and test.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I wouldn't waste 30 seconds of coding time on something like this.
Have you coded anything for even 30 seconds? I doubt it and you certainly have no idea how things are coded in CM either.

So, if I were playing RT, I would also have to make these decisions you speak about while playing? sounds like fun. maybe I would pause the game each time and decide....Hmmmm...does this guy see dat guy and can dat guy tell diss guy wad to do?

Yep, maybe we should cut out pieces of paper and tape over things on the screen that shouldn't be seen either.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have you coded anything for even 30 seconds? I doubt it and you certainly have no idea how things are coded in CM either.
I the 80's I programed my Commodore 64 using Basic to display my name on the screen. Does that count? And you are correct, neither of us has a clue to what is involved, effort-wise, in programming CM. That is why I don't make comments about how easy something is to program or how much time it should take.

So, if I were playing RT, I would also have to make these decisions you speak about while playing? sounds like fun. maybe I would pause the game each time and decide....Hmmmm...does this guy see dat guy and can dat guy tell diss guy wad to do?
Yes, you would. It's fortunate for you that you don't plat RT.

Yep, maybe we should cut out pieces of paper and tape over things on the screen that shouldn't be seen either.
Not a bad idea.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
The radio in my car doesn't work. Maybe I should just sing out loud?