armored trains

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
If anyone is serious about Armored Trains to want to help...
send me a PM.

For playtesting you would have to make counters, but proofers for the rules and chap H would be needed.

Steve

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
As a solo player, my playtesting would be pointless. However I would be quite happy to do rules and Chap H proofing and constructive criticism/commentary.

While an Official extension would be great, given LFT's excellent treatment of MBTs in OC:StN, I feel trains would be safe in their hands.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If anyone is serious about Armored Trains to want to help...
send me a PM.

For playtesting you would have to make counters, but proofers for the rules and chap H would be needed.

Steve
Sent you a PM on this.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Here’s an Interesting weapons list for two armored trains south of Kharkov posted on Facebook by Jason Mark

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hm, I think I have a book about German Panzerzüge and their deployment somewhere. It is a while since I had it in my hand, but I seem to recall that some had wagons with a Pz 35(t) or Pz 38(t) that could be quickly unloaded. These trains were sometimes used against partisans I seem to remember.

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hm, I think I have a book about German Panzerzüge and their deployment somewhere. It is a while since I had it in my hand, but I seem to recall that some had wagons with a Pz 35(t) or Pz 38(t) that could be quickly unloaded. These trains were sometimes used against partisans I seem to remember.

von Marwitz
Yes, that is true. Other nations had versions of this as well.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
And Somua S-35. AoO had some AxMi (Slovakia) & Hu S-35. I suspect the Slovak ones were really German ones operating alongside Slovak forces as part of an anti-partisan train, though I could be dead wrong. While I know the Pz 38(t) did operate off trains, I would be cautious about the Pz 35(t). The 6th Pz Div (ex 1st Light Div) was the only one to use the Pz 35(t) and by the start of '42 had none left, so availability would be an issue.

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
I suspect the Slovak ones were really German ones operating alongside Slovak forces as part of an anti-partisan train, though I could be dead wrong.
The Czechoslovak Army before the war had 18 train sets. Am not sure at the moment how many of those stayed with the Slovak Army.

However, the Slovak Partisans constructed three combat train sets (called Stefanik, Hurban and Masaryk) starting September 1944.

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
Lionel or Tyco?
Heh.

As non-native English speaker, I was not sure how to properly translate the Slovak term "vlaková súprava".

You see, an armoured train is usually not just a single "train". For example, the armored train Hurban had two independently operating train car "platoons". The combat platoon consisted of three tank cars equipped with 37mm guns (on the LT-38/PzKpfw 38(t) tanks), one vz.14/19 100mm field gun car, two MG cars (each with 5x 7,92mm HMGs), an armoured engine, and a mine recon/repair car loaded with sandbags and spare rail parts (used as the front car). The rear platoon, consisting of three bunk cars, an HQ car, a combined kitchen/supply car, and an ammo supply car stayed at a nearby railway station during fights.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As non-native English speaker, I was not sure how to properly translate the Slovak term "vlaková súprava".

You see, an armoured train is usually not just a single "train". For example, the armored train Hurban had two independently operating train car "platoons". The combat platoon consisted of three tank cars equipped with 37mm guns (on the LT-38/PzKpfw 38(t) tanks), one vz.14/19 100mm field gun car, two MG cars (each with 5x 7,92mm HMGs), an armoured engine, and a mine recon/repair car loaded with sandbags and spare rail parts (used as the front car). The rear platoon, consisting of three bunk cars, an HQ car, a combined kitchen/supply car, and an ammo supply car stayed at a nearby railway station during fights.
I am not sure there is a good translation that captures everything. As best I follow you, a "train set" in Slovak conveys the idea of a group of train cars with different purposes plus the locomotive. The English "armored train" is probably best, as most (and possibly all) things called armored trains in English had more than one train car. One might also consider "armored train unit" or "armored train combination." I do not know a lot about armored trains, so it was interesting to learn that there were cars that were often left in the rear during a battle. In retrospect I guess it's obvious, but it's something I just learned.

JR

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I am not sure there is a good translation that captures everything. As best I follow you, a "train set" in Slovak conveys the idea of a group of train cars with different purposes plus the locomotive. The English "armored train" is probably best, as most (and possibly all) things called armored trains in English had more than one train car. One might also consider "armored train unit" or "armored train combination." I do not know a lot about armored trains, so it was interesting to learn that there were cars that were often left in the rear during a battle. In retrospect I guess it's obvious, but it's something I just learned.

JR
It seems that armored train is the correct expression in english for multi-car trains. Otherwise, the self-powered armored railroad vehicles are called "armored railcars" as this German Zeppelin: