armored trains

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i recall that Hakkaa Paalle was set to have armored trains. What happened? No scenarios? too complicated or problems coming up with a counter design? I'm just curious guys.. will they be coming up in the future?

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
i recall that Hakkaa Paalle was set to have armored trains. What happened? No scenarios? too complicated or problems coming up with a counter design? I'm just curious guys.. will they be coming up in the future?
Difficult to find an action where it would work in ASL scale. Finns had several armored trains in service but there is only one action I am aware of that MIGHT work in ASL. That is why we did not bother in the end.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
The Estonians used armored trains against the Bolsheviks in their Independence War. Check out this silent film (1927) of that conflict at 1:10:00 for scenes of one of those trains in action (at least for this movie).

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Difficult to find an action where it would work in ASL scale. Finns had several armored trains in service but there is only one action I am aware of that MIGHT work in ASL. That is why we did not bother in the end.
Not so!
I have 12 Armored Train Scenarios as well as ASL Armored Train counters designed.
The real problem is...
Is there enough interest to make an Armored Train module financially feasible?

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not so!
I have 12 Armored Train Scenarios as well as ASL Armored Train counters designed.
The real problem is...
I think that sounds great Steve. Perfect item to be included in a future ASL Journal, LFT mag or Recon by Fire!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Unless there are scenarios with armored trains and partisans, of course.

JR

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Not so!
The real problem is...
Should have been more spesific. For inclusion in Hakkaa Päälle there was not enough action in Finland.

But of course my research was limited to Finnish actioms. If there is enough on the global scale it is of course a diferent srory.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
But of course my research was limited to Finnish actioms. If there is enough on the global scale it is of course a diferent srory.
The Soviets and the Poles used them a fair amount in situations where they might fit into a scenario. There's a bit in Osprey Combat 7, "German Infantryman versus Soviet Rifleman: Barbarossa 1941", David Campbell, about a battle near Zhlobin where the train "Bobruisk" covered the flank of the Soviet forces until it was knocked out by a heroic Panzerjäger Abteilung armed with 50mm ATGs. The Panzerjäger commander won the Knight's Cross for his part. The Germans liked the idea enough to copy it, but I don't think they found much use for them. Then there's Slovaks' use of them, about which I just learned. And the Canadians had an armored train patrolling the west coast, perfect for a hypothetical invasion of British Columbia by the Japanese.

JR

Last edited:

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Not so!
The real problem is...
It seems that LFT want to publish something about armored trains (probably an issue of the magazine, but if they do as with the italians "special" could include counters and a number of scenarios), but probably Xavier or someone of their team could be more precise.

Xavier 658

LFT Magazine Editor
Reaction score
First name
Xavier
Country
llSpain
Hi,

It seems that LFT want to publish something about armored trains (probably an issue of the magazine, but if they do as with the italians "special" could include counters and a number of scenarios), but probably Xavier or someone of their team could be more precise.
Yes, but it will take time since we already have 2 historical products under development, as well as FTC 9, LFT 15 and some other products. If I am not deployed abroad again next Summer, we may have some time for this :)

Best,

X

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Not so!
The real problem is...
How about an Action Pack?

von Marwitz

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Should have been more spesific. For inclusion in Hakkaa Päälle there was not enough action in Finland.

But of course my research was limited to Finnish actions. If there is enough on the global scale it is of course a diferent srory.
My 12 scenarios does not include a Finn scenario (send to me if you want it included).
Counters would be needed, maybe a few more RR Overlays (like a small town RR Station).
A rough draft of RR Arm Train (AT) rules (including chap H) has been done by myself and Andy Hershey
WE also designed counters.
If AT was an action pack, then the counters would have to be generic.
For counters that represent the different nationalities, the project would almost be as big as BFP's PTO Module.

I am willing to continue the work to complete the basic layout and rules if there is an interest in them.
Then, when someone wants the material, at least the initial work is done.