Armored Trains in ASL

Armored Trains in ASL

• Yes, we have to have them

Votes: 105 59.0%
  • I don't care, we have enough chrome

Votes: 45 25.3%
  • No, don't we have enough esoterica to keep us busy

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • Trains? Armored trains? What is a train?

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

TMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would be totally cool to have them in the game (and for VASL ;)

But it is not something I would place on a "front burner" project. Someday though, really cool to have!

Chapter R : Railroads and Armored Trains

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
And there are even some variants possible :D A former NSKK officer told me he was even using the 37 PAK "en portee" on a small train carriage against partisans.

For SASL players I made a mission "Take out the Railway Gun" based on some plans at Anzio to take out Anzio Annie. You can find it on the website in the signature below.

Hans

pdutram

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just received a copy of Brian Train's (Fiery Dragon) "Konarmiya: 1920 Year of the Red Tide" and was pleasantly surprised to see.............(wait for it).........eight armored trains, including Trotsky's personal HQ train!!! They are used as artillery, but are "shock-capable". They can only be eliminated by defeating all the support units covering them. Interesting. :D

criticalhit

Reaction score
Russians and Poles did have Armored trains, as well as Germans and some other European minors. Also the Japanese used them in China also. As far as ASL scenario applications goes, I have in my scenaio collection at least 12 scenarios, already designed by different designers, using trains and armored trains, some of which are playtested. These scenarios cover several theaters of the war. A couple of the scenarios include tank vs armored trains at the tactical level (ASL level) of combat.
I just purchased a huge lot of scenarios and there was one scenario called, "GAVIN'S RIDE" which was included in folio game: three maps, one of which had train track hex rows going straight north and south-- All American: Shanley's Hill game. However the 3 counters that included the LOCOMOTIVE, AA(37L gun ) FLAT CAR and FREIGHT WAGON (carrying 2 squad and a leader) had to be cut out from the actual inside of the folder that the game came in. The train track were located on PP hex rows going straight vertically (Paris to Cherbourg). Victory conditions for the Germans were simple: get train traveling north off the map. The Americans win by if they inflict more CVP than they have suffered by game's end. SPECIAL RULES FOR SHANLEY'S HILL SCENARIOS: SH2.3 STATES: "Note: railway rules are expected to be included in the ASLRB at a future date, and players who have such rules may decide to apply them by prior agreement." Gavin's Train AA19 is dtd 1998 on the bottom of the scenario card wow over 22 years ago and still no official ASLRB entries for Armored Trains. Hopefully "Polish Eagles" HSL will be completed soon.

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I just purchased a huge lot of scenarios and there was one scenario called, "GAVIN'S RIDE" which was included in folio game: three maps, one of which had train track hex rows going straight north and south-- All American: Shanley's Hill game. However the 3 counters that included the LOCOMOTIVE, AA(37L gun ) FLAT CAR and FREIGHT WAGON (carrying 2 squad and a leader) had to be cut out from the actual inside of the folder that the game came in. The train track were located on PP hex rows going straight vertically (Paris to Cherbourg). Victory conditions for the Germans were simple: get train traveling north off the map. The Americans win by if they inflict more CVP than they have suffered by game's end. SPECIAL RULES FOR SHANLEY'S HILL SCENARIOS: SH2.3 STATES: "Note: railway rules are expected to be included in the ASLRB at a future date, and players who have such rules may decide to apply them by prior agreement." Gavin's Train AA19 is dtd 1998 on the bottom of the scenario card wow over 22 years ago and still no official ASLRB entries for Armored Trains. Hopefully "Polish Eagles" HSL will be completed soon.
Are you allowing your expectations about the official ASLRB to be made by a Critical Hit publication?

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Are you allowing your expectations about the official ASLRB to be made by a Critical Hit publication?
he's already said that it's just coincidence that he happens to use the name Critical Hit (& happens to be located in NY) & hey he just happened to buy a product that had trains in it & let's take a look... hey what do you know?!?! a CH product! ;) & he takes a poke at MMP! :eek: well gee I wonder who he could be... :unsure: it's obviously some random dude! :rolleyes:

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Isn’t Steve Swann doing a module that includes trains ? But hey I wonder who this guy is ?!?!?

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I am doing Armored (Military) Trains.
Rules done except for playtesting which has started.
Counters designed.
The number of scenarios has passed 20, but still have to see if they all work.

p.s. I am NOT using any rules, counters, etc, etc from CH.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I am doing Armored (Military) Trains.
Rules done except for playtesting which has started.
Counters designed.
The number of scenarios has passed 20, but still have to see if they all work.

p.s. I am NOT using any rules, counters, etc, etc from CH.
Best of luck with the project. Love trains. Both my grandfathers worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
he's already said that it's just coincidence that he happens to use the name Critical Hit (& happens to be located in NY) & hey he just happened to buy a product that had trains in it & let's take a look... hey what do you know?!?! a CH product! ;) & he takes a poke at MMP! :eek: well gee I wonder who he could be... :unsure: it's obviously some random dude! :rolleyes:
Hey Sweetie, who taught you how to think! :love:

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
OK, everybody...
Lets get the subject back to Trains.

FYI - as of now the Military Trains project is slated for the French LFT production.
(Unless something goes wrong.)
It is unfortunate that my relations with MMP are not good (through no particular fault by anyone.)
The project is now at the stage where it needs massive testing but I do not have the ability to make counters for VASL.
It NEEDS play-testers and a counter designer for VASL for the project to go forward.
This is something that I cannot do by my lone-some.
I can provide a counter sheet for printing and making your own counters as well as the scenarios and the map/overlays for it.

Steve