Armored Task Force AAR - Battle for Ruckers Bridge

Black Moria

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Armored Task Force AAR – Battle for Ruckers Bridge, Fulda Gap

This scenario has an Attack Helicopter Squadron (-) attempting to prevent two OPFOR Motor Rifle Battalions from seizing a bridgehead.

Friendly Forces

3 x Attack Helicopter Troops (Troop – 5 x AH-64 Apache, 3 x Kiowa

3 x 155mm Artillery Batteries (6 x M109 Paladin 155 SP Howitzers)

Enemy Forces

2 x Motor Rifle Battalions
- Lead MRB (1 x T72 Tank Coy, 1 x BMP-2 Coy, 2 x BTR-80 Coy, 1 x 120mm Towed Mortar Bty, 1 x BRDM-2 Anti-Tank Pl)
- Second MRB (1 x T80 Tank Coy, 3 x BMP-2 Coy, 1 x 120mm SP Mortar Bty, 1 x BRDM-2 Anti-Tank Pl)

2 x Regimental Artillery Groups (RAGs) (24 x 152mm SP Howitzers)

1 x Attack Helicopter Coy (6 x Hind D Attack Helicopters)

1 x SU-25 Frogfoot Squadron (6 x SU-25)

Scenario Setup

From the OpOrder, I get my mission briefing. My map study indicates that I have a large area to defend and OPFOR can come at me from a variety of approaches. All I know is his objective – the Ruckers Bridge. I broke the battle area into three likely approaches – North, Middle, and South. My analysis indicted that a South or Middle approach is the most likely course of action, but I couldn’t rule out the North. I have superior mobility in my three helicopter troops so I elect to put a troop covering each approach. I definitely need ‘eyes out’ to get as much advanced warning of where OPFOR is going to put in his main effort so I position my scout copters on high ground near the International Border as possible. Once I determine his main effort, I can take advantage of my superior mobility to position my attack assets to thwart OPFOR’s attack. The Apaches are put in initial attack positions near the International Border but far enough back to react to enemy movements. My chief problem is that terrain is tight and there are few places to maximize the range of the Hellfire missiles on the Apaches – most engagement ranges are around 4 kms.

Game Play

One Kiowa in the middle sector nearly gets a heart attack at game start as he discovers a CRP of 3 BMP-2 less than 2 km from him, heading west. The Kiowa beats a hasty retreat before he is spotted and displaces 2 km further away to the SW.

The three Kiowa scouts in the southern sector had ‘eyes out’ and located one of the RAGs and the assembly area of the lead MRB. The northern sector Kiowa located the other RAG and spotted the assembly area of the second MRB. Fire orders were relayed to the three artillery batteries, which started gearing up fire missions.

Weapons Free was ordered for all units as the CRP crossed the border in middle sector. The three BMPs were smoking wrecks within a minute as five Apaches unmasked from their attack positions and bought effective fire to bear. The artillery batteries opened up with DPICM missions on the stationary lead MRB, targeting the two BTR companies with linear spreads. Friendly forces rejoiced at the secondary explosions of 11 BTRs being destroyed, forcing the two MR companies to scatter. An immediate battalion fire mission on the lead MR companies faired less well, only destroying one BMP, but forced the surviving BMPs and the T72 company to scatter.

The lead MRB finally rumbles south in a ragged column formation, leading me to initially believe that the main effort is going to be in the south but shortly turns west and heads at full speed to open area in middle sector. I order a section of three Apaches from the south sector troop to move west to provide additional fire support for the middle sector five Apaches. The north sector helicopter troop holds position as unidentified vehicle movement is spotted in the north, indicating a possible secondary advance into my northern sector. My artillery battalion turns its attention to the follow up MRB in its assembly area and hits it with two salvos of DPICM. Five BMPs and several BRDM-2 are destroyed and the MRB scatters out of their assembly area.

The lead MRB is nearing the International Border and looks like it is going to pass through one of two roughly one kilometer wide gaps in the forest. In the nick of time, the FASCAM mission from my artillery battalion seals the gap with artillery mines, just as the lead MR companies hit the northern most gap.

In the north sector, the northern most Kiowa reports seeing enemy attack helicopters inbound from the north, moving five kilometers behind the border.

The lead MR company tries to conduct a breaching operation but dies under the withering fire of the five Apaches to the west. The other MR companies continue moving forward and take to the trees to escape the deadly fire. The lead MRB, much slowed due to the minefield and trees and the now relentless pounding of DPICM fire missions from my artillery battalion, slow inch forward and take casualties from the Apaches as they emerge from the minefield and the forest.

In north sector, the enemy attack helicopters continue south beyond my engagement range. Two ZSU23-4 vehicles move west. One is immediately destroyed upon entering my engagement range, but in one of the mysteries of warfare, the surviving ZSU continues southwest in full view of five Apaches of the north sector troop. For about 10 minutes, this ZSU incredibly moves forward without being engaged and actually passed with 500 meters of two Apaches, past them onto a highway through the trees and finally is killed with 30mm cannon from one of the inattentive Apaches once the ZSU traveled one km past the Apaches and into a open area.

The lead MRB has lost approximately 70% of its vehicles when my forces detect six SU-25 in-bound. The Frogfoots pass between my middle sector and south sector helicopter troops and take out the southern most middle sector Apache. In retaliation, three Apache of the south sector troop engage the Frogfoots and destroy one as the SU-25s leave the area and don’t return. The enemy attack helicopters are now in the area of my middle sector but are still outside of engagement range. The second MRB, following on the heels of the lead MRB, is engaged by the southern group of north sector Apaches and inflict about five vehicle casualties before the MRB moves out the LOS. A mischance allows a BMP from the second MRB moving west to spot a hovering south sector Kiowa and the Kiowa goes down after catching a hail of 30mm cannon fire.

The follow up MRB elects to try to force the southern mined gap (the northern gap is littered with dozens of burning wrecks) just as the enemy attack helicopter company arrives on the scene. The enemy helos come within the engagement range of both the middle and southern sector Apaches and the 6 Hinds are splashed (destroyed) without lost.

At this point, about 90% for the lead MRB has been destroyed and the rest are still floundering on the far side of the northern minefield or are inching forward through the thick trees. The second MRB attempts to breach and bypass the minefield in the face of fire from both the western and southern Apaches. In the space of 10 minutes, the follow up MRB is rendered combat ineffective after Hellfire after Hellfire takes it toll. Finally, about a mixed group of vehicles, about company strength break out and sprint forward. A section of Apaches, now finding themselves too close to the action, hammer the lead vehicles with cannon fire at 1500 to 2000 metres away and break off to regroup at their secondary fire positions a further four kilometers to the SW.

Now exposed out in the open , the fire of now ten Apaches make very short work of what is left of the hard charging company of vehicles.

OPFOR is stopped dead in his tracks. For the space of 30 minutes, stragglers from the two decimated MRB emerge from the dense woods and immediately die from the waiting Apaches.

Satisfied that the threat is defeated, I order the northern and southern Kiowas forward to scout for targets of opportunity and concealed threats. Nothing is revealed except the two RAGs and a few straggler 120mm mortar vehicles. The middle sector Apaches hold position as the northern and southern Apaches cross into hostile terrority on a search and destroy mop-up operation. The Apaches, like ravenous wolves, fall upon the near defenceless RAGs….

End Game

OPFOR took horrendous losses. Virtually every vehicle of the MRBs were destroyed and most of the RAGs have taken around 60-70% losses. The Hind-E company was totally destroyed. The end game says that I got 6 Frogfoots as well, but I could only confirm one shoot down. The furthest the enemy penetrated was 2500 metres over the International Border.

Friendly losses were confined to one Apache and one Kiowa.

Analysis

1. The superior maneuverability of the Attack Helicopter Troop was a major key to victory. The Kiowas were able to penetrate and observe a considerable way into the enemy’s rear areas and bought effect artillery fire to bear. The Kiowas could quickly displace if enemy movement bought hostiles too close and the maneuverability of the Kiowas virtually enable me to have almost 100% knowledge of what was going on behind the line of contact. The maneuverability of the Apaches allowed me to move and focus critical combat power at the critical points.

2. A lengthy map study allowed me to find good firing positions for the Apaches. I had divided my Apaches down into two copter and three copter sections. Each section had one primary and two secondary fire positions, usually further back as I fully expected to have to give ground to attrite the OPFOR forces. As it so happened, only one three copter section had to displace to a secondary fire position due to enemy action. One three copter section actually managed to get full use of range. The other fire positions only allowed about a 4 km standoff range which was less than I like but given the terrain throughout the area, was the best I could hope for.

3. Having it all come together at the critical point. I managed to drop a FASCAM minefield on OPFOR just as he hit a ‘chokepoint’. This almost completely stalled the MRBs as they had to either take to the trees and inch forward and get shelled or they could force a breach, all the while being hit with DPICM artillery missions and direct fire. This timely use of FASCAM allowed the 10 Apaches to fire into the chokepoint and pick off the OPFOR forces as they clawed their way slowly forward. I am positive that without the timely placed minefields at the critical chokepoint, my helicopter troops would definitely have to have displaced to alternate fire positions. And in the more open ground, the outcome might have been different.

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got my ass kicked in this scenario.:p

You've got to get the enemy deep, before he gets into the woods in the south.

Good for you! FASCAM covered by hellfire at stand off range. The pros don't get that one right 9 times out of 10.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Do you have any screenshots for this AAR? If you do, email them to me and I will post this in the regular AAR section when I get back from vacation.