Armored Assault (D9.31)

Velocette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am a bit confused by the wording of this rule. Is the AFV MP expenditure tied exactly to the Infantry MF expenditure? IE... the AFV can NOT expend more MP than the what the Infantry expends as MF during the move?

EX: An AFV and 6-6-6 Squad move together for a total of 6 MP / 6 MF / and 6 hexes; can the AFV then attempt to fire an sM (or SN if German) for a 7th MP while still meeting the rule "wording" of D9.31 of: 1) moving together as a stack and 2) the AFV has not moved (measured in hexes) further than it could have moved while accompanying the Infantry... 6 hexes.

Thanks
Velo

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it's independent of MP... everything depends on the MF the infantry had available jn its mph.. The AFV must reach a location the infantry could have reached by using the actual amount of MF the infantry had in that Mph (iow the afv cant move to a location the infantry "could" have reached with double time if it didnt actually declare double time). That's what I think... I'll be corrected if Im wrong.

Iow's smoke.vca changes, etc. Those are all fine so long as the infantry are able to follow the tanks footsteps hex by hex. (Even if they <dont> follow the tanks footsteps.) I don't think I'm actually being clearer than the rule book lol I think the rulebook is pretty clear for once.

Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
The MF and MP do not have to be spent in the same amount per hex. But once Armored Assault is declared, the AFV can move no further (in hexes) than the accompanying Infantry move (or could continue moving after the Infantry stop/separate.

For example, the AFV may need one MP to start before the Infantry even expend 1MF. Once in the next hex, the AFV may need to expend MPs to change VCA. None of these extra expenditures effect how many MFs the Infantry have. However, if the accompanying Infantry is just a squad, and that squad attempts smoke placement, the attempt will limit how many MFs the Infantry have remaining to move - and thus how many more hexes the squad and AFV, or separately moving AFV, can move.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, if the accompanying Infantry is just a squad, and that squad attempts smoke placement, the attempt will limit how many MFs the Infantry have remaining to move - and thus how many more hexes the squad and AFV, or separately moving AFV, can move.
Thats the tricky part! If the AFV and Squad are moving in a stack the smoke expenditure would restrict the AFV just like you say -- but if the AFV and Squad had already separated before the squad smoke placement attempt then it wouldn't matter, the AFV is able to go as far as if the infantry had spent its MF entirely on movement to 'hypothetically' accompany the tank --

then the really tricky part -- if the stack takes defensive fire and the infantry breaks, the AFV can continue moving as far as it could have moved if the Infantry hadn't broken. (That's from a Q&A. I didnt just make it up.)

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I .I've the idea of an M8 spending some 29 delay MP then tearing off down the road at 60mph while the poor infantry squad sprints to keep up!

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It goes the other way, too. If you're using AA with a FT-17, the infantry is limited by where the Tank can get to.