Armored Assault and road bonus

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So are you saying that any MF left over to the Infantry are simply converted to MP remaining to the accompanying vehicle?
MF are never converted to MP nor MP to MF. As the stack moves, MF and MP are counted independently and in parallel. The infantry and the vehicle need not be on the same number at the same time, and often won't be, as the vehicle has to expend MP for stuff the infantry does not expend MF for such as starting, changing CA, etc. and the different types of units may expend different amounts for the same type of terrain. The MF and MP may be fully expended by both types of units in the stack. If the stack splits, the vehicle imagines it still has infantry accompaniment to figure out how "far" it can go, i.e. how many locations it could enter.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
"that AFV cannot move farther than if it were accompanied by that same Infantry through the move" clearly evokes, not a range as an area within which the AFV can move, but the distance that the accompanying infantry unit could have moved.
It is thus linked to the MF costs that the accompanying infantry could have spent if it had continued assault moving with the AFV - MP costs don't enter in account for that measuring.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
MF are never converted to MP nor MP to MF. As the stack moves, MF and MP are counted independently and in parallel. The infantry and the vehicle need not be on the same number at the same time, and often won't be, as the vehicle has to expend MP for stuff the infantry does not expend MF for such as starting, changing CA, etc. and the different types of units may expend different amounts for the same type of terrain. The MF and MP may be fully expended by both types of units in the stack. If the stack splits, the vehicle imagines it still has infantry accompaniment to figure out how "far" it can go, i.e. how many locations it could enter.

JR
"that AFV cannot move farther than if it were accompanied by that same Infantry through the move" clearly evokes, not a range as an area within which the AFV can move, but the distance that the accompanying infantry unit could have moved.
It is thus linked to the MF costs that the accompanying infantry could have spent if it had continued assault moving with the AFV - MP costs don't enter in account for that measuring.
Then I guess we're all misunderstanding each other since this is - I think - what I've been saying all along.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
When you stated that Philippe's opponent was correct, you backed the idea that the AFV could freely move within the area covered by the possibile remaining MF of the accompanying Infantry unit.
That is why there is a discussion and why I don't think that we agree. If I read things correctly, of course.

Here is Philippe's opponent's interpretation:

* (this one surprised me) my opponent wanted to interpret the rules as delimiting the hexes the AFV could enter, not the whole movement. Say the Infantry is stopped on the first hex, after one MF, and it had already declared Double Time so it had 5 remaining MF. Could the AFV move forward 5 more hexes, then move turn around and move some more, provided it remained within a 5 MF range of where the Infantry stopped?
There could be a confusion between hexes and MF in that question, but it speaks of a range rather than a movement corresponding with the remaining MF of the accompanying infantry unit.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
When you stated that Philippe's opponent was correct, you backed the idea that the AFV could freely move within the area covered by the possibile remaining MF of the accompanying Infantry unit.
That is why there is a discussion and why I don't think that we agree. If I read things correctly, of course.

Here is Philippe's opponent's interpretation:

There could be a confusion between hexes and MF in that question, but it speaks of a range rather than a movement corresponding with the remaining MF of the accompanying infantry unit.
Oh!! I see!:oops: When I supported the statement, I didn't get that Philippe's opponent was promoting the idea of "freely operating within" a range of hexes that Infantry could theoretically traverse.

I thought he was saying that so long as the Infantry had enough MFs left to enter a hex, the AFV would be free to enter that hex no matter how many MPs it took to get there. It would even be free, once in that hex, to expend additional MPs, say, to Stop, attempt Smoke, etc... This, btw, I do think is legal.

Thanks S&S for explaining what I was missing! And so sorry for wasting everyone's time - all day long! - with my oversight.:oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There is no waste of time trying to figure out how the rules work.
It is part of the pleasure that ASL provides.
And you may have noticed, higher in this thread, that I got an aspect wrong and that Klas corrected my view by quoting a Q&R.
So I hardly could give lessons on the matter.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
There is no waste of time trying to figure out how the rules work.
It is part of the pleasure that ASL provides.
And you may have noticed, higher in this thread, that I got an aspect wrong and that Klas corrected my view by quoting a Q&R...
Oh, I noticed alright! :cool:

But thanks...and I agree. I feel that the situations discussed in this forum truly help my understanding of the RB. And, yes, there is pleasure in the debate.