Armies of Oblivion

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So I was interested to note that all the Ch H pages included are dated "2018". Were there any changes made that people are aware of? I don't want to go through a line-by-line comparison with the previous edition if someone's already done the work...

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So I was interested to note that all the Ch H pages included are dated "2018". Were there any changes made that people are aware of? I don't want to go through a line-by-line comparison with the previous edition if someone's already done the work...
Very little - besides the incorporation of the few pieces of errata, it was mostly wordsmithing.

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very little - besides the incorporation of the few pieces of errata, it was mostly wordsmithing.
Notably, the section shrunk by two pages.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn’t know there would be scenarios changes. What got revised?
"First Fire Inherent", "First Fire SW", "First Fire BMG", "First Fire MA", etc. etc.
I've always hated this policy. Why wait? It's not like we are not going to buy the next Journal. And why penalize those who DON'T want to buy it? It just seems wrong to do this.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am replacing my entire kit with new counters, since the Deller/Cirillo duo made me so jealous of their immaculate set.
Where is the love for me Peter? Its always 'Cirillo / Deller, Deller / Cirillo' when you talk of counter admiration. I'm crushed. All the effort I put into my set and I don't even get an attaboy on GameSquad.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I double checked and the only notable change/addition was in Vehicle Note 7's dagger-paragraph:

† The 20L MA is an ATR, has a maximum To Hit range of 12 hexes (as signified by “[12] TH” on the counter), and may be Scrounged (D10.5) as a Solothurn s18-1100 (Common Ordnance Note 50).

...where it is now spelled out specifically what type of ATR can be Scrounged - granted since the MA is a 20L that was pretty obvious even without this addition. :)

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I double checked and the only notable change/addition was in Vehicle Note 7's dagger-paragraph:

† The 20L MA is an ATR, has a maximum To Hit range of 12 hexes (as signified by “[12] TH” on the counter), and may be Scrounged (D10.5) as a Solothurn s18-1100 (Common Ordnance Note 50).

...where it is now spelled out specifically what type of ATR can be Scrounged - granted since the MA is a 20L that was pretty obvious even without this addition. :)
Now we can all finally sleep soundly, dreaming big about scrounging a 20L ATR.....

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The First Fire Inherent & First Fire SW are a boon. The First fire BMG, etc have too many possible combinations. If you could make a single counter that had electronics & leds in it so you could turn on/off indicators for individual weapons, that would be cool. I think the hardest part might be finding a suitable battery.

JR
To me, they're just okay, but not a boon. I suppose they're good to have, but I've managed to play hundreds of scenarios without them so far, and never really had much trouble remembering which weapons a tank had fired, or whether a squad fired inherent only or the weapons. Their usefulness might be offset by the amount of time it will take to fish the right one out of the box.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
To me, they're just okay, but not a boon. I suppose they're good to have, but I've managed to play hundreds of scenarios without them so far, and never really had much trouble remembering which weapons a tank had fired, or whether a squad fired inherent only or the weapons. Their usefulness might be offset by the amount of time it will take to fish the right one out of the box.
Totally agree. I find the infantry ones sometimes useful in meatspace, but the vehicular ones are just not worth the effort. Great in VASL, but not as physical things.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Totally agree. I find the infantry ones sometimes useful in meatspace, but the vehicular ones are just not worth the effort. Great in VASL, but not as physical things.
I respectfully disagree. Anything I can offload from my brain to a counter, I will.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that the infantry markers are easier to use than the vehicular ones.
OTOH, I can usually keep my infantry straight using the standard counters.
But vehicles can have so many weapons that I can have trouble remembering what has fired and what hasn't with only standard counters.
YMMV

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Yep. Utility is the only standard here. Do what helps you in the situation. I was just relating my experience. It has been that finding the precise correct vehicle counter (and changing it 20 seconds later when I use the CMG) doesn’t end up being worth the effort for me usually.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Got mine yesterday. Quite happy with it, since I never got the previous versions of it.

Hurrah!

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
The First Fire Inherent & First Fire SW are a boon. The First fire BMG, etc have too many possible combinations. If you could make a single counter that had electronics & leds in it so you could turn on/off indicators for individual weapons, that would be cool. I think the hardest part might be finding a suitable battery.

JR
The salt in the sweat on your fingers could power a cell that goes to a capacitor.