Armies of Oblivion

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On my old mounted Board 49 both Y1 and Z2 are paved road, since there is a small part of the road in those hexes that are paved.

B3.1:
"...A road hex containing both paved and dirt roads is considered a paved road hex, although entry of the hex is based on the type of hexside entered (e.g., 12M4 is a paved road hex but entry of it through the M4-L3 hexside is per a dirt road hexside)...."
Yet again I (re)learn something I was consciously unaware of, at this rate given my age, by the time I'm 100 I should have it down pat (Now if I could just remember what game I'm playing again).:oops::mad:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
While I agree with Bruce that perhaps only a slight sliver of paved road *shouldn't* make it a paved road - even though I think that is what the rules say - I can see a situation where one can get into an argument of how much paved road is needed in a hex to make it a paved road.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Not sure what that has to do with the redrawn board 50, because old or new, that stream artwork doesn't extend through a second hexside. On the redrawn board, the stream tendrils touch the board edge, with no suggestion of "extending through". The artwork has changed, but it hasn't made any difference to the way the hex is to be interpreted. That won't happen until errata updates either or both of A2.76/B20.1 to clarify exactly how these board-edge hexes are to be treated. (A2.76 only discusses what happens when two board edges are aligned together and I'm pretty sure that the B20.1 wording was a nonsensical oversight -- see below.)
I can't comment on the artwork for new boards as I do not own them. Boards with stream hexes that show tendrils going off the board edge are fairly common. My original board 34 hex W10 and my ASLSK board 34 hex W10 both have tendrils that touch the map edge. That's sufficient for me. The whole issue was never of any practical importance to me, as I played such hexes as streams as did my opponents. If board 50 has been changed as you say, that's also good enough for me.

Because you like to pit your lance against what-look-like-to-us windmills, I will point out that 34v1, 34v7, 34w4 and 34y4 may be stream hexes (it depends on the particular map artwork) and not the marsh hexes they first seem to be. Go get 'em, Brucie.

JR

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think changing terrain on an existing board can really be classed as a "bonus". Hardly any, one presumes, which then begs the question why the terrain was changed at all.
It prompts the question. Begging the question is different, it's a logical fallacy.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It prompts the question. Begging the question is different, it's a logical fallacy.
That boat has sailed; are you are still on the dock?

wikipedia said:
Many modern English speakers use beg the question to mean "bear the question", "suggest the question," "raise the question", "invite the question", "evade the question", or even "ignore the question", and follow that phrase with the question, for example: "I weigh 120 kg and have severely clogged arteries, which begs the question: why have I not started exercising?" For grammatical reasons and because the term has a specific, different meaning in philosophy, logic, and law, some commenters note that such usage is mistaken, or at best, unclear even as sources such as the Meriam Webster Dictionary and non-prescriptivist critics acknowledge the usage of the phrase as a synonym for “raises the question” as popularly accepted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

JR

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I'm a sub and plan to help torpedo that ship. I'm also a proud member of Team Oxford Comma.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Your question can be rephrased as "has there been a new issue of the ASL Journal published in the last couple of years?".

Whenever the next issue is published it should be a big one, because there's quite a lot of "recent" stuff to cover.