Armies of Oblivion question

keethrax

Reaction score
No, not the obvious "when?" question...

Does anyone know what else will be required for the included scenarios?

In other words, do they require the Brits, the minor Allies, etc...

I'm considering putting in apreorder as I know I'll want it at some point... but if it requires stuff I'll be waiting forever (even longer than for printing :p ).

Ryan

Priest

Reaction score
So you would probibly need

Beyond Valor (Russians)
Doomed Battalions (Allied minors (Europe))
Partisan (Partisans)
maybe The Last Hurrah (Allied minors (Pacific))
and the...Ities,

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Priest said:

Beyond Valor (Russians)
Partisan (Partisans)
and the...Ities,
I seem to recall at least one playtest scenario with the Gurhkas (British counters) vs the Indian forces fighting on the side of the Japanese in Burma.

Not sure if that scenario made the cut, but it was playtested.

Jazz

keethrax

Reaction score
Priest said:

Beyond Valor (Russians)
Partisan (Partisans)
and the...Ities,
OK, so let's see...
Beyond Valor. Check.
Partisan. Check
Last Hurrah. Nope, but looking like the next one I'll get. (Isn't it Minor Allied infantry? not pacific?)

That leaves me with two questions.
1) Do I need thee Italiians?
1a) If so, how many scenarios in Hollow Legions don't require british or Desert Rules? I want the Italians anyhow, but I suspect many (most?) of the scenarios are North Africa.
2) Assuming I need Doomed Batallions, how many of those scenarios require Hollow Legions?

And a more refined vereiosn of the original question becomes "With Modules 1-4, The Last Hurrah, and posisbly Doomed Batallions , how many scenarios in AoO will I still be stuck not playing?

Still struggling with getting the stuff I find interesting with WoA out of reach... (though getting somewhat closer).

Priest

Reaction score
You're right, sorry keethrax, you will need both Doomed Battalions and The Last Hurrah then. I don't know how many scenarios in Hollow Legions take place in the desert and how many in Italy, but, I would get it just in case.

keethrax

Reaction score
Priest said:
You're right, sorry keethrax, you will need both Doomed Battalions and The Last Hurrah then. I don't know how many scenarios in Hollow Legions take place in the desert and how many in Italy, but, I would get it just in case.
It just occeured t me I can check the OOB for the scenarios in all but AoO by checking the VASL setup files, that'll tell me which Italian ones are desert too.

The only "preereq" one that is really concerning me is Hollow Legions, I don't want to buy it jsut for a few scenarios there, and the Hollow Legions scenarios, I suspect, will be hamstrung by the lack of British and Desert rules. But, now that I figure eI can check it, I'm much happiere.

Priest

Reaction score
The only reason that I suggested that you get Hallow Legions is that once a mod goes OOP it takes a while for it to get reprinted. I was thinking about waiting for WoA before I got HL, but, it would be exasperating to finally get WoA just to find HL OOP.

keethrax

Reaction score
Priest said:
The only reason that I suggested that you get Hallow Legions is that once a mod goes OOP it takes a while for it to get reprinted. I was thinking about waiting for WoA before I got HL, but, it would be exasperating to finally get WoA just to find HL OOP.
That's true. And as I really think playing the Italians could be fun, I'll probably pick that one up out of sequence anyhow.

da priest

Reaction score
From MMP's website, re: HL:

"But HOLLOW LEGIONS is certainly not limited to the desert; indeed, of the eight scenarios in this module, five are set in Europe."

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Italians are indeed fun; they definitely have their own character in ASL and require a certain touch to play well, much like the Americans.

keethrax

Reaction score
da priest said:
From MMP's website, re: HL:

"But HOLLOW LEGIONS is certainly not limited to the desert; indeed, of the eight scenarios in this module, five are set in Europe."
That's slightly better than I expected. But only slightly. It's still one shy of half that use the desert. But I still need to figure out of those 5 if any need Brits (Since at this point I still am looking at WoA for my Brits)

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
HL has the following non-desert scenarios:

ASL 52 'Too Little Too Late' - Italians v Germans. Notable mainly for the Italian ability to ram roadblocks with their vehicles.
ASL 53 'A High Price To Pay' - Italians v British in Sicily. Uses Olive Groves, which I believe are in ASLRB2.
ASL 54 'Bridge To Nowhere' - Italians v Russians.
ASL 55 'Retribution' - Italians v US in Sicily. Uses Vineyards, which I believe are in ASLRB2.
ASL 57 'The Battle For Rome' - Italians v Germans.

keethrax

Reaction score
Chris Milne said:
HL has the following non-desert scenarios:

ASL 52 'Too Little Too Late' - Italians v Germans. Notable mainly for the Italian ability to ram roadblocks with their vehicles.
ASL 53 'A High Price To Pay' - Italians v British in Sicily. Uses Olive Groves, which I believe are in ASLRB2.
ASL 54 'Bridge To Nowhere' - Italians v Russians.
ASL 55 'Retribution' - Italians v US in Sicily. Uses Vineyards, which I believe are in ASLRB2.
ASL 57 'The Battle For Rome' - Italians v Germans.
Olive groves and vineyards are indded in ASLRB2. OK, that leaves me with 4/8 for now that are playable, I can live with that.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
'Battle for Rome' was one of my all time favorite scenarios. I played it years ago but can still remember winning as the Italian against my long-time ftf opponent. Italians are usually out-classed(in ASL, anyway)but I got immobilization hits on 2-3 of his AFVs(VCs are based on German Exit Points) Any scenario that sticks with me for years is worth obtaining, IMHO.

Alan

keethrax

Reaction score
alanp said:
'Battle for Rome' was one of my all time favorite scenarios. I played it years ago but can still remember winning as the Italian against my long-time ftf opponent. Italians are usually out-classed(in ASL, anyway)but I got immobilization hits on 2-3 of his AFVs(VCs are based on German Exit Points) Any scenario that sticks with me for years is worth obtaining, IMHO.

Alan
Cerainly. For me, if its a core module, it's not a matter of if in any case. It's just a matteer of when/which order. This of course would be simplified if everything was in stock so I could go more or less in order... but since it isn't, and since AoO is going to be a big hit to the wallet, I'm trying to piece together an order that lets me usefully play it when it comes out while at the same time not stranding me with too much I can't play due to not having WoA.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
There are quite a few Italian non-desert scenarios that appear in the annuals and journals. Men of the Mountains from J2 is a good one, and I seem to remember that Savoia! is also good.