Armies of Oblivion Print Schedule - a Few Words

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday Brian Youse posted on Consimworld regarding our current preorder print schedule. Specifically, some preorder customers had asked about a couple of the Gamers titles and Armies of Oblivion.

To break it down, we have parts of the ASL Starter Kit, DAK II, and 3 Battles of Manassas at the printers now, with the remainder to print over the next few weeks. The good news: we're going to meet our mid-March ship date for the Starter Kit. The bad news (for ASL) - DAK II and 3 Battles are the Manassas are the next to ship, one right after the other, probably starting near the end of March when we get the final pieces back to the office. AOO will follow after that.

This was not a matter of placing Gamers titles in priority over AOO. Both titles were ready for printing. We still have some proofing work left to do on AOO. AOO is simply not quite ready for prime time. After so long a wait, we would hate to put out AOO riddled with problems and errors and disappoint everyone.

FWIW, none of MMP's ASL resources - namely Brian and Perry - are being scarfed up by the 3BoM and DAK II. Getting J5 out by Christmas and meeting our deadline for getting the ASL Starter Kit ready for the GAMA Trade Show - both of which I think we can all agree are worthy ASL ventures - slowed us down a bit with regards to AOO, but we'll be getting back on track soon. While the two Gamers titles are in the print hopper we can use that time to finalize AOO for printing.

Getting the ASL Starter Kit to the GAMA Trade Show for retailers is vital - every retailer I've talked to has shown interest in buying a few, even the ones who really aren't selling ASL right now. The price is right, the concept is good, and people seem to be receptive to at least giving it a try. A home run at the GAMA Trade Show further primes the pump for retail expansion of ASL - and MMP is acutely aware of how important it is to have ASL on game store shelves.

I will keep you updated as we move forward with AOO.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi:

My original thread doubled and I asked Don to delete the second, but Priest asked if this was going to push back the reprint on the rulebook before it got deleted. I got an email notification, but the thread he replied to was deleted at my request. Sorry for the confusion :dead: .

To answer: all these games are going to help fund the rulebook reprint, so AOO will get out before the rulebook barring a massive surge of rulebook preorders. That being said, it's a straight reprint, and all we have to do is phone the printer to get the rulebook ball rolling.

Keith

BigDog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So has this moved the anticipated print date for the rule book back from early summer? I really do want to order from MMP as ebay dosen't help yall at all. However as someone trying to get back into ASL lack of the core materials is severly dissapointing.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Big Dog, I share that. I only have v1 of the rulebook, so while I do have the old set of rules, I still am at a disadvantage. Keep the faith, we're working on a few other things that I can't talk about right now.

hydrou

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
What about Beyond Valor and Red Barricades? Is there there some gossip yet or even some preorder date, when it will be in schedule for reprinting?

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope, but it might be affected by the unmentionable things I discussed up thread. Sorry to sound so cryptic. :surprise:

Priest

Reaction score
I agree the that you can't mention the unmentionables or the umentionables that you might mention wouldn't be unmentionables but instead mentionables. :laugh:

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This will be a straight reprint, which is actually good news in that once we are ready to print all we have to do is call the printer, who has the job on file.

Brad Knoll

Eagerly awaiting UF 2000
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Keith,

Why would you not update the rulebook? It would be too easy to update the file and send it back to the printer (assuming you are using something like quark or adobe). MMP could even get extra fixed pages/BV counters printed and sell an errata pack. My wife is a graphic designer and updates and reprints projects often. The printer will still probably charge you to open the file before print anyways; so i dont see the point. It is too good of an opportunity to keep the RB clean and up to date.

Brad

Hams

Reaction score
Country
ll
As Brad so rightly says why not print an ASL Rulebook 2.1, think of all the extra copies you could sell to those players who NEED to own all the ASL products... :devil:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I suppose incorporating errata is okay if it doesn't change linebreaks and so forth, but I could see it getting messy if a slightly longer errata meant an illustration didn't quite fit where it was supposed to be, and then the next page was slightly out as a result, etcetera. And I wouldn't want to suggest something that would put the reprint back further and further due to extra graphic design/layout being required.

On the other hand, at the very least how about shipping the Rule Book with an errata page included... preferably on sticker paper so that the new owner can quickly bring it up to date.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hams said:
As Brad so rightly says why not print an ASL Rulebook 2.1, think of all the extra copies you could sell to those players who NEED to own all the ASL products... :devil:
Because we're not into screwing good customers for money. :cool:

Truth is, ASLRB went 15 years without the major revision embodied in the second edition, and right now we want to see a stable rulebook that people don't have to chase through multiple editions. Two are hard enough.

The errata/clarification issue will hopefully be cleared up even more in the future by a more organized posting on our web site. We're looking at revamping the whole site.

Priest

Reaction score
I would agree with MMP, we have to keep the ASLRB stable, right now we have the v1 guys and the v3 guys multiple versions of the RB would just confuse things even further.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
So what is the latest on AoO then? DAKII has been released correct? So AoO is after the ASLRB 2nd Edition?

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey guys,

AOO update. Brian is trying to get the layout finished by the end of the month so we can get this proofed and printed. He's going to be out of the office for a couple of weeks and hopes to get AOO counter layout done. Heck, I think everything else is ready to fly to the printers except for the final counter sheets.

Bear with us guys, no one wants to get this out more than us.

ASLRB2 -- we're still proofing it as far as I know. I will try to get a status update asap.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
kdalton said:
ASLRB2 -- we're still proofing it as far as I know. I will try to get a status update asap.
Make sure you print a whole bunch of them. Don't want to run out again any time soon.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yup, could used a couple more copies to leave in the trunk of my car for the cottage. By the way Don, thanks a million for the Sgt Steiner Avatar it was more than I expected

cheers Doughboy :cheeky:

Last edited: