AREA update

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I have seen the AREA rankings have been partially updated last week.

it still misses at least all results of VASLeague 2016 (about 150 playings of 100+ players). Since I think Nitro is not anymore the unique site kepeer, I could have sent the results to the wrong email address.

So, where should I send the results for AREA registration?

Last edited:

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, where I should sent the results for AREA registration?
+1. Nitro not maintaining the list is news to me. I use AREA extensively to seed the Bitter Ender. I would hate it if this website go defunct.

Reactions: ecz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
+1. Nitro not maintaining the list is news to me. I use AREA extensively to seed the Bitter Ender. I would hate it if this website go defunct.
/seconded

Although I am doing to seeding for tournaments, I find it a very valuable reference.

Three cheers to Nitro!

von Marwitz

Reactions: ecz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
(...) Nitro not maintaining the list is news to me.(...)
I remember a post months ago where he said at least a couple of guys help him to register the results. Sadly with the "improved" search function we have now in GS of course it's impossible to find:thumbsdown:

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember a post months ago where he said at least a couple of guys help him to register the results. Sadly with the "improved" search function we have now in GS of course it's impossible to find:thumbsdown:
It looks like Carl N's vasl special leagues recently posted. Perhaps he can share who sent it to.

nitro

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hi guys

I'm still running the AREA site. I had a computer crash and lost a lot of data a year ago or more and 3 guys helped me retrieving some (big thank you to them !).

nitro

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hi guys

I'm still running the AREA site.
It's true that I had a computer crash a couple of years ago and that I had then
the very welcome help of 3 guys from GS (thanks again !) but, other than that, I
'm still alone in keeping AREA. I wouldn't mind sharing the stuff, the difficult
y being the way things are set up, relying on perl and mysql. It would require s
ome investment for someone to take over but I'm open to it.

Concerning more recent things : I went through a period of less time and motivat
ion and AREA went fallow for some months. Then I got back to it and am pretty mu
ch up to date now. I still have to enter a couple of tournaments (VASL, Bitter E
nd, French Forum and March Madness). And I still lack data from some others (Win
ter Offensive, Winter War, West Coast Melee).

All in all, I have collected 1485 games for 2016 and 191 for 2017.

-B.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I still have to enter a couple of tournaments (VASL, Bitter E
nd, French Forum and March Madness). And I still lack data from some others (Win
Could there be Grenadier 2016 among the missing ones?

von Marwitz

nitro

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Can anyone describe the function of the programs Nitro refers to above?
Well, I have a series of scripts written in Perl that would :
= add a tournament, or a player or a game to the DB
= compute an ELO rating
= generate HTML files for a player/tournament/ranking
= upload a series (thousands) of HTML pages to the website

Scripts are needed since I have several hundred tournaments, severa thousand players and several tens of thousands games.

Cheers

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Thanks Nitro for clarification, I posted the question because I saw recent tournaments added ( Carl's VASL tournaments) while less recent tournaments like VASLeague are still in queue

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi guys

I'm still running the AREA site.
It's true that I had a computer crash a couple of years ago and that I had then
the very welcome help of 3 guys from GS (thanks again !) but, other than that, I
'm still alone in keeping AREA. I wouldn't mind sharing the stuff, the difficult
y being the way things are set up, relying on perl and mysql. It would require s
ome investment for someone to take over but I'm open to it.

Concerning more recent things : I went through a period of less time and motivat
ion and AREA went fallow for some months. Then I got back to it and am pretty mu
ch up to date now. I still have to enter a couple of tournaments (VASL, Bitter E

-B.
How far are you up to date with Results from ASLOK ? I seem to miss all results for the last 4-5 years

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
(...)

-B.
Nitro, I understand the problems to run such a site where hundreds of persons look each week in the hope to see what they expect!

informatics is not my job, but I think it would be great if AREA allows to a crew of registered and certified members to add the results of the tournaments without the need of your work. It could be simple once in a year for each TDs find the time to record the event.

I think for example to the few TDs of the most important events in the world that could, optionally, make by themselves the work. So You would have more time to add the results of the minor events quickly and act like a sort of manager/supervisor of the site.
At least ASLOK, ASO, VASLeague and Albany, for example, could be added in a short time after their end by the respective TDs.

But probably the site should be rewritten and made more friendly user before. As the data are public and at disposal, everyone with informatic skill at 75% or better could try to create something of this kind right now. With your permission of course.
Is it a viable option? your opinion?

We all love your work and it would be a pity if the mass of data stored in AREA becomes obsolete or, worst, the life of this HUGE and WONDERFUL ASL resource remains linked to only ONE person.

I could be wrong, but even ROAR now has a "parachute" system that allows to the site to live and grow indefinitely beyond its original father.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
informatics is not my job, but I think it would be great if AREA allows to a crew of registered and certified members to add the results of the tournaments without the need of your work. It could be simple once in a year for each TDs find the time to record the event.
I've had some correspondence with Nitro about this and he can correct me if I'm wrong. This issue is the format that games are reported to him. For ASLOK, he gets the PISS sheets (I'm assuming .pdfs) that list the players and games. These have to be manually input 1x1 with all the inherent issues with legibility, accuracy scenario name, etc.... With over 150 players at ASLOK that is one hell of a task.

I reported this way for the Bitter Ender when I 1st took over and had same issues. My reporting has evolved but this year, I've developed an excel spreadsheet to report games in a format that Nitro approved. I *think* this will make input much easier for AREA. I can update it in real time during the tournament as results are reported. I don't think this would be feasible for ASLOK, but I think Steve uses some sort of excel spreadsheet to determine results at Albany.

In short, if Nitro could provide a common format in excel for reporting games I think most TDs would gladly comply.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I've had some correspondence with Nitro about this and he can correct me if I'm wrong. This issue is the format that games are reported to him. For ASLOK, he gets the PISS sheets (I'm assuming .pdfs) that list the players and games. These have to be manually input 1x1 with all the inherent issues with legibility, accuracy scenario name, etc.... With over 150 players at ASLOK that is one hell of a task.

I reported this way for the Bitter Ender when I 1st took over and had same issues. My reporting has evolved but this year, I've developed an excel spreadsheet to report games in a format that Nitro approved. I *think* this will make input much easier for AREA. I can update it in real time during the tournament as results are reported. I don't think this would be feasible for ASLOK, but I think Steve uses some sort of excel spreadsheet to determine results at Albany.

In short, if Nitro could provide a common format in excel for reporting games I think most TDs would gladly comply.
I use an ultra simple format:
Player A - Player B result ( 1-0 or 0-1) and scenario title, where the first player named is always the Axis player.

all games are in a PDF easily legible.
But I understand that each TD has his own favorite system, and Nitro could have issues; thus it would be better if all TDs, optionally, can have access to the site and add the results, 1X1 and by themselves, using the AREA tools to register the games, if they want.

If instead each of us TDs must first translate our results in a Excel spreadsheet that fits Nitro's requirements and then send everything to the site owner, we risk to have an hard work made twice, and still no certainty about a quick implementation of the results on AREA.

Of course IMHO

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
last but not least, past experience shows us that tournament activity is increasing because players are more prone to move from tournament to tournament, and events tend to become longer and more attended; not counting the constant grow of VASL.

This means more game played, and more data to record.
We do not need a complex data analysis to predict that in the near future a lone single person could have many many issues to stay at the pace of the ASL activity Worldwide recording everything.
Thus I suggest to find as soon as possible the right countermeasures against these early signs of criticality

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
We are fortunate to have a database like this, run in a steadily manner for a long time.

Most players attend only one tournament per year, and very few more than three. The ratings change slowly and there is no reason to have frequent updates. Who cares?

Certainly a uniform reporting system would help. This is for Nitro to decide...and TDs to implement. So TDs have the bulk of the responsibility when it comes to improving timeliness. In particular ASLOK

This attempt to hijack the work of someone else... well i stop here :)

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
We are fortunate to have a database like this, run in a steadily manner for a long time.

Most players attend only one tournament per year, and very few more than three. The ratings change slowly and there is no reason to have frequent updates. Who cares?

Certainly a uniform reporting system would help. This is for Nitro to decide...and TDs to implement. So TDs have the bulk of the responsibility when it comes to improving timeliness. In particular ASLOK

This attempt to hijack the work of someone else... well i stop here :)
uhmm no.
I disagree.
no one is attempting to steal work or merits of anyone else and I also will stop here as there is really nothing to comment about the last remark.

It's just the genuine fear that a database like this could become soon obsolete.
In all camps when a thing shows the first signs of the time it's better to act soon and avoid things get worse ignoring the problem.

Of course Nitro can/must decide for the better, but everyone here can legitimately give his suggestions.
Nobody last forever, motivation could change and real life makes its part. It's just the love for the work of Nitro that moves me, and I suppose many Others, to ask for clarifications or offer suggestions and help.