Area Target Type

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A couple of ATT questions with which I am struggling:

A. Direct fire ATT of Smoke at a hex with only an unarmored vehicle behind a wall. Must the direct fire shot hit the upper structure of the presumably hull down vehicle?

B. Indirect WP Mortar fire hits a second floor known enemy infantry unit. WP drops to the ground. In bypass of the WP hit building there is an unarmored truck with a passenger squad and a wall hexside. The unarmored passenger must now take a NMC. Does the wall give the unarmored passenger a -1 DRM to the NMC in view of the rule below?

C9.3 ... "PRC [EXC: Motorcyclists] never receive a TEM for a wall/hedge"

Thanks,
Rich

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A. No. The attack occurs on the IFT, with the wall TEM (if indirect fire - i.e. by a mortar - the TEM is reduced to +1).
B. I don't think that hexside TEM DRM applies to a PRC WP MC.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A - I think it's enough to hit the hex since you are placing Smoke - although the Target Size of the truck applies. Don't think it being Hull Down matters.
So it's easier to fire Smoke where you think there's nothing (empty hex or HIP unit) than where you think there's something (concealed unit). Same applies to bringing down OBA.
For all other types of fire it seems to be the same whether empty/HIP or concealed. Have I got that right?

I always pictured it as firing Smoke at the hex rather than the target in the hex, but since size modifiers and concealment (Case K as per C6.2) apply, I guess you are still firing at the target rather than the hex even when firing Smoke.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem is that there's no hex grid/center dots in real life to aim at. :unsure:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So it's easier to fire Smoke where you think there's nothing (empty hex or HIP unit) than where you think there's something (concealed unit). Same applies to bringing down OBA.
For all other types of fire it seems to be the same whether empty/HIP or concealed. Have I got that right?
Yes, it's game mechanic to lessen the Omniscient Player syndrome.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So if you are firing Smoke (ATT) at a hex with a small target tank and a squad, the squad would be easier to hit. When firing HE you could potentially hit the squad while missing the tank, but if you are firing smoke, is a hit on just the squad sufficient to place smoke in the hex (i.e. both are affected)?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So if you are firing Smoke (ATT) at a hex with a small target tank and a squad, the squad would be easier to hit. When firing HE you could potentially hit the squad while missing the tank, but if you are firing smoke, is a hit on just the squad sufficient to place smoke in the hex (i.e. both are affected)?
Yes, ATT hit on squad would place smoke in the hex.