Area Fire vs. Units out of LOS

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My friend and I are playing VotG. He has a Mortar in KK26. He fires at hex DD25, which only contains units in the cellar (that he cannot see).

There are no other units at any other level in that hex.

He rolls 1,1.

The only relevant rule that I can find is:

C3.33 AREA TARGET TYPE: The Area Target Type must be used at all times by mortars and whenever ordnance [EXC: LATW] attempts to fire SMOKE; otherwise it may be selected when firing HE (but not AP/HEAT HE Equivalency; 8.31). All (including friendly) non-Aerial units in the target hex can be hit (even by WP), except for those immune as per 3.4 [EXC: a mortar also hits all target-hex units that are out of its firer's (Spotter's, if one is being used; 9.3) LOS if that shot hit the non-hidden enemy target that currently was the hardest for it to hit (i.e., that received the highest net TH DRM for that shot)]. All units hit by HE are attacked on the IFT using a single DR and half the FP of the firing ordnance; all vulnerable units/PRC hit by WP must take an A24.31 NMC. Fire on the Area Target Type by a non-Mortar consumes all of that Gun's ROF for that turn (excluding Intensive Fire) and thus cannot be used after taking any other shot first. Use of the Area Target Type does not itself prohibit Interdiction. The Area Target Type cannot be used within the firer's own hex (i.e., at zero hex range), or as Bounding First (D3.3) or Motion Fire (D2.42).7

Do my units in the cellar get hit even though he doesn't have LOS to them or any other unit in the hex (of which there are none)?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My friend and I are playing VotG. He has a Mortar in KK26. He fires at hex DD25, which only contains units in the cellar (that he cannot see).

There are no other units at any other level in that hex.

He rolls 1,1.

The only relevant rule that I can find is:

C3.33 AREA TARGET TYPE: The Area Target Type must be used at all times by mortars and whenever ordnance [EXC: LATW] attempts to fire SMOKE; otherwise it may be selected when firing HE (but not AP/HEAT HE Equivalency; 8.31). All (including friendly) non-Aerial units in the target hex can be hit (even by WP), except for those immune as per 3.4 [EXC: a mortar also hits all target-hex units that are out of its firer's (Spotter's, if one is being used; 9.3) LOS if that shot hit the non-hidden enemy target that currently was the hardest for it to hit (i.e., that received the highest net TH DRM for that shot)]. All units hit by HE are attacked on the IFT using a single DR and half the FP of the firing ordnance; all vulnerable units/PRC hit by WP must take an A24.31 NMC. Fire on the Area Target Type by a non-Mortar consumes all of that Gun's ROF for that turn (excluding Intensive Fire) and thus cannot be used after taking any other shot first. Use of the Area Target Type does not itself prohibit Interdiction. The Area Target Type cannot be used within the firer's own hex (i.e., at zero hex range), or as Bounding First (D3.3) or Motion Fire (D2.42).7

Do my units in the cellar get hit even though he doesn't have LOS to them or any other unit in the hex (of which there are none)?
You quote the rule you are looking for. Per C3.4 (mentioned in C3.33), units that are out of LOS are not hit. C3.33 has "EXC: a mortar also hits all target-hex units that are out of its firer's (Spotter's, if one is being used; 9.3) LOS if that shot hit the non-hidden enemy target that currently was the hardest for it to hit (i.e., that received the highest net TH DRM for that shot)". Since there were no in-LOS targets, the exception does not apply. So C3.4 still applies, and units that are out of LOS are not hit.

A CH has no additional effect on the building and a 50mm HE weapon firing on the ATT cannot cause rubble nor flame. It's hard to understand why he is shooting there.

JR

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...A CH has no additional effect on the building and a 50mm HE weapon firing on the ATT cannot cause rubble nor flame. It's hard to understand why he is shooting there.

JR
To place acquistion ?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If there were a hidden unit in a location he could see, that unit would be hit with the crit, but the out of Los units would still not be affected since when the shot happened, there were no non hidden units in Los.