AREA fire and mortars...

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As per the rules area fire represents firing at the house, ground, wall, etc. When it hits a multi hex building "all locations can be effected" if in the LOS of the firer.

So far so good. ( esp in a Stuka).

When a target is concealed (also via dummy) the target [ not ground etc] is harder to hit ( +2). Why ? Needless to say that's a good reason for not
firing at that particular location (in a 2 story building for example). This also has -ve effects on OBA conversion btw that are pretty much inexplainable.

In any event did anyone find where any hit thus achieved is not halved again for area fire against ? units. Can anyone find this explicitly stated?

Thanks

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
In any event did anyone find where any hit thus achieved is not halved again for area fire against ? units. Can anyone find this explicitly stated?
C3.53: "Ordnance FP is not halved for firing at a concealed target, ..."

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
A mortar hit always uses half its caliber's IFT equivalent FP unless a CH is achieved (C3.33). This isn't really "Area Fire" as defined by A7.63, rather just the result of a single gun/AFV/MTR firing limited rounds at a general area - that is, the result of USING THE ATT. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are asking/suggesting here. But just to be sure...a MTR hit would not be halved again (i.e. quartered) under most circumstances [EXC: marsh, sand - thanks Vinny!].

As to why the +2 for concealed units applies, I think you pretty much said it:
Needless to say that's a good reason for not firing at that particular location (in a 2 story building for example). This also has -ve effects on OBA conversion btw that are pretty much inexplainable.
I think it is mostly just a game mechanic to prevent players from obsessively firing where they don't really have perfect knowledge of enemy positions. To a lesser degree, it may also represent enemy troops that are simply in better cover or at least a little bit more safely positioned against general shelling. But in the end remember, the game is very much a "design for effect" concept. An imperfect, moment-to-moment sense of what is "realistic" may sometimes be sacrificed for a more broader, and hopefully [!] more realistic outcome.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
C3.53: "Ordnance FP is not halved for firing at a concealed target, ..."

Thanks