Are you a Fan of Westerns?

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Walter Brennan....

sorry Sam, but I think you could really pull off the Walter Brennan imitation!

JT

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I do not know why I am drawn to this thread but it must be because Westerns inherently mean guns and guns are what ASL is all about.

I noted I spent time in El Paso. If anybody is doing any extended tourism in the El Paso area there are some great places to visit. I loved Lincoln, NM where there was a huge gunfight with Billy the Kid involved (40 KIA). Many of the original buildings still stand.

If you are a Civil War buff, you can catch some battlefield sites of Sibley's ill fated campaign to capture the West for the Confederates.

One thing I like to see in a good Western is a more positive appraisal of Mexicans who were every bit a part of the West as the Cowboys and Indians. This sort of pushed me to learn more Spanish other than my assignment to a Juarez maquiladora.

Best book I have on the Old West is "The illustrated life and times of Billy the Kid". It is excellent. In it was this quote...

"God didn't make men equal, Sam Colt did."

Maybe "Cantina" is a good name for this sub-forum although I still like the "Burning Wreck" room. Sort of a play on recreation room also.

PS: Bill, that Sam Elam looks like he just finished an all nighter at one of the early ASLOK's you ran.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Westerns are probably my favorite film genre.

For one thing I grew up on them, and as I grew up the Western grew up with me with the likes of the 'modern' westerns.

Yeah I like westerns as much as I like war movies. Gotta love Clint Eastwood & the spahgetti westerns. I caught "The good the bad and the Ugly" recently on ch66 (AMC) for the upteenth time, gotta love it. Tombstone is probably the best modern western I've seen. I liked it more than the Kevin Costner version of Wyatt Earp, though that was good too. 3:10 to Yuma is supposed to be excellent, I haven't seen it yet though.

Any of you western fans that haven't seen "The Wild Bunch" need to rent that ASAP. Directed by Sam Pekinpah (he directed Cross of Iron). Great cult-classic western film .. bloody as hell for a 1969 movie!! .. I promise you won't be disappointed with this one if you haven't seen it yet .. the shootout with the Mexican army at the end was awseome.

BTW: I like ancient movies just as much too. Gladiator, Ben Hur, Moses, Cleopatra .. love 'em. There was a movie about the battle of Alesia, some of you guys might have played that AH game (I have it), unfortunately the movie sucked (one star from my view). Cristopher Lambert (Highlander) played Vercingetorax .. can't recall the name of it right offhand.

Last edited:

tekay44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Fort Apache", and, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" were great ones also. The Duke, Henry Fonda, et al.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I forgot. Deadwood has been a big thing for me these last few years. I'm currently watching it for the fourth time through with a friend of mine who is equally as taken. He refers to it lovingly as 'Shakespeare with horseshit.'

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Deadwood is the best. Except for Rome was better from HBO of recent years.

I like the newer westerns. Tombstone with Curt Russell and Val Kilmer. Best line "I'll be your huckleberry" By Doc Holiday.

and Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood.

Dano

I forgot. Deadwood has been a big thing for me these last few years. I'm currently watching it for the fourth time through with a friend of mine who is equally as taken. He refers to it lovingly as 'Shakespeare with horseshit.'

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of the "classic" era, I love The Ox-Bow Incident and Stagecoach .

Modern favorite westerns include Unforgiven. And only Unforgiven.

From the in-between period (1950s-1980s) I love High Noon, The Good The Bad & The Ugly, The Searchers and Bad Day at Black Rock, which is really a western set in the modern era.

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have you seen Open Range?
Just about to ask the same question. The gunfight is the most realistic I've ever seen in a cowboy film.

Unforgiven is vary good though. Seems to me Clint Eastwood just gets bettr as he ages. I only found out a few years ago that he plays Blues Piano... and quite well too.

Best Western TV show of all time is 'Firefly' Okay there's spaceships, but its a Western in Space.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What was the one that was done with the midgets? That one was good.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What was the one that was done with the midgets? That one was good.

Semper Fi!
Scott
"Terror In The Tiny Town" ... almost universally recognized as the worst film ever made (although "Plan 9 From Outer Space" gives it a run for its money ... especially since the release of "Ed Wood").

Brien

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Terror In The Tiny Town" ... almost universally recognized as the worst film ever made (although "Plan 9 From Outer Space" gives it a run for its money ... especially since the release of "Ed Wood").

Brien
Thanks!!! I had forgotten the title. Yes, it was a horrible movie...but incredibly entertaining.

Seriously, I love bad movies...the higher the cheese factor, the better! While not a Western, another favorite "bad" movie is The Forbidden Zone...Herve Villachez is in it, Danny Elfman has a cameo (plays Satan), and it was directed by Danny Elfman's brother.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of the "classic" era, I love The Ox-Bow Incident and Stagecoach .

Modern favorite westerns include Unforgiven. And only Unforgiven.

From the in-between period (1950s-1980s) I love High Noon, The Good The Bad & The Ugly, The Searchers and Bad Day at Black Rock, which is really a western set in the modern era.
"Unforgiven" was great except for the terrible acting by the Kid. I don't know how he got his part. Eastwood must've owed a favor to someone.