Are there enough Starter Kit scenarios?

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there enough Starter Kit scenarios now, or do SK players want more SK scenarios before they transition to ASL?

Evan Sherry

DSK665

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even though I have just started playing full ASL , did all 3 Starter Kits, I would like to see more scenarios. I like the idea of a small portable system to cart around to play a quick scenario.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
As a "full" ASL player I'd welcome more SK scenarios. Generally I find themfaster to play and simpler too. I can lay my son (9) at a SK scenario where I would not try him with full ASL as the Rule book is simply far too large for him to attempt even finding an aswer in (besides he's not getting his grubby mits on it,t's mine, mine I tell you!)

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
I agree with Martin. It would be good if there was an Action Pack, perhaps, with scenarios designed for people with the 3 kits. The young people I am teaching simply need longer on the SK before they will be ready for ASL. On the other hand, I think SK should feel exhaustible fairly quickly so people move on to the far richer world of ASL

sam500

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More SK scenerios would be a great idea.

I'm surprised nobodies come out with some bundles yet.

I wish there was some way to get a hold of the 3 new MMP scenerios without purchasing three separate magazines.

I love the simplicity of the SK. As Apple said it's a GREAT training tool, but is also a fun game in it's own right.

Cheers,
Sam

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Martin. It would be good if there was an Action Pack, perhaps, with scenarios designed for people with the 3 kits. The young people I am teaching simply need longer on the SK before they will be ready for ASL. On the other hand, I think SK should feel exhaustible fairly quickly so people move on to the far richer world of ASL

I thought everyone already knew Rally Point #2 has 10 new starter kit scenarios.

furgie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I play both full and starter kit ASL.

On the basis that I really enjoy the fast play of SK games, I would welcome more scenarios.

I have played a number of the Rally point 2 scenarios, and like these as some are larger than the scenarios which come with the SKs.

Furgie

dispang

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL Starter Kit Scenarios

We definitely want to see more starter kit scenarios, as we are converting it to miniatures. We have played regular ASL for over 20 years, and want to do it with miniatures now. We are working on miniatures for 6mm, 15mm, and 28mm scenarios to bring to gaming conventions, and have already run 15mm games at Enfilade! last year. It was a big hit with new players. Six to eight people played each session and were finished in 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Each one controlled a leader and divided the forces among them. We would like to see scenarios that can be divided this way with 6-8 people, with each person maybe having their own objective in the battle. If you want pictures of our setup, please let us know; thanks!

Larry and Diane

Steve99

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think more SK scenarios are a good idea. I also think there is still a place for SK scenarios that don't use vehicles. I took a break between SK2 and SK3, and was looking for some new SK2-level (Guns and infantry) scenarios to use as a refresher before diving into the vehicle rules.

I haven't ordered Rally Pack #2 yet, but I probably will.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there enough Starter Kit scenarios now, or do SK players want more SK scenarios before they transition to ASL?

Evan Sherry
Yes...when one is done with all the available SK scenarios one is ready to move to ASL.

bryanspellman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes...when one is done with all the available SK scenarios one is ready to move to ASL.
No...when one is done with all the available SK scenarios one MIGHT BE ready to move to ASL and would rather play more SK scenarios until they are ready.

You can force a horse to water, but if you force a horse to drink you might end up with a kick in the face...

edited to prevent further mocking :p

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No...when one is done with all the available SK scenarios one MIGHT BE ready to move to ASL and would rather play more SK scenarios until they are ready.
One never thinks one is ready for ASL. I have been playing ASL for 20+ years and I am still not sure I am ready. Play the SK, then jump in...if you sink...play the SK again. But, personally, I bet you at least float OK.

You can force a horse to water, but if you force a house to drink you might end up with a kick in the face...
How do your force that "house" to drink anyway...I'd like to see that. ;)

bryanspellman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One never thinks one is ready for ASL. I have been playing ASL for 20+ years and I am still not sure I am ready. Play the SK, then jump in...if you sink...play the SK again. But, personally, I bet you at least float OK.
While I do agree with you AND plan on making to trip to full ASL soon, there are others out there who are either:

a) not so confident or

b) enjoy playing SK and would like more

What is the harm in more scenarios for SK (like Rally Point 2) or a historical module or two?

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the harm in more scenarios for SK (like Rally Point 2) or a historical module or two?
Hmmm...I don't think I mentioned anything about harm...I mean I didn't say anything about the rumor that to much SK makes one's penis smaller...I am sure that isn't true. :whist:

But, I digress...

It is called the "Advanced Squad Leader STARTER Kit"...at some point, you got to get started. ;)

Mago67

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
It is called the "Advanced Squad Leader STARTER Kit"...at some point, you got to get started. ;)
Of course the MMP's intentions are in the direction of growing up the number of ASL players...

However I know many guys ...some are veteran wargamers others are just new ones... that will never move to the next step.

;)

dynaman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> that will never move to the next step

And I know of at least two that went from full ASL to SK...