macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

Playing Lawless HS 27 - is the German and Brit radio revealed at start since there is no hip and concealment is only if you want to delay the fire

I seem to remember radios can be hip at setup like guns or am I remembering a fantasy and played it wrong for years - I might add I cant find that rule so its likely a fantasy :eek:

Thanks for help in advance ?

cheers

Rob :)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Observers with a Field Phone get to set up hidden for free.

In this scenario - since there's no Concealment until after setup - you'll have to "hide" the leader with the Radio by setting up some other unit above him.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I seem to remember radios can be hip at setup like guns or am I remembering a fantasy and played it wrong for years
You've been playing it wrong.

Phones get to set up HIP, and they cannot move once set up.

Radios can move and they cannot set up HIP without some sort of SSR to that effect.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I seem to remember radios can be hip at setup like guns or am I remembering a fantasy and played it wrong for years - I might add I cant find that rule so its likely a fantasy :eek:
Perhaps it is Footnote 5 from Chapter C you recall?

5. 1.6 OBSERVER: A radio tends to be all too visible to the omniscient player and can rapidly become the target of all available FP. For this reason, players may well wish to agree beforehand to note the Location or possession of radios by side record rather than revealing their presence with a counter. Observers are assumed to be equipped with field glasses and therefore better able to discern targets at great distances which would not be visible over the open sights of most weapons. However, concealed units ≥ 16 hexes away are considered conducting themselves in such a cautious manner that better optics are not of particular value in “seeing” them—at least not automatically.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
5. 1.6 OBSERVER: A radio tends to be all too visible to the omniscient player and can rapidly become the target of all available FP. For this reason, players may well wish to agree beforehand to note the Location or possession of radios by side record rather than revealing their presence with a counter.
Funny that this common sense recommendation present in the footnotes from the beginning of ASL and receiving sympathy from AH ("may well wish") has never been translated into a hard rule over the years.

I can testify i use "all available FP" against identified radios :D

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
An SSR allowing hidden radios per footnote C5 (until the unit breaks, or drops, or
transfers, blah blah) should be standard in scenarios involving OBA. jmho

indy

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Sure, but not radios in scenarios not involving OBA. ?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I always ask my opponents if they would like to use note 5 in Chapter C even before we decide on sides. It should be a standard rule and my local opponents always play it as such.

Truth be told, the observer wouldn't be carrying a radio in any case. The observer would actually be leading a small 2-3 team and a radio would be no more obvious than a pack at any range beyond a few dozen metres in any case (battlefield confusion, dust, smoke, fear, etc., etc.)