Are LL guns automatically L also?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just like C4.2 says that Guns <= 40mm have their Basic TH# lowered by 1 at certain ranges in addition to the lowering by 1 for being <= 57mm, do LL guns get to raise their Basic TH # by 1 (C4.13) in addition to the raising by 1 that L guns get (C4.12)?

Some part of me always thought the LL benefit was cumulative on top of the L, just like the <=40mm detriment was cumulative with <=57mm.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules from Chapter C:

4.12 L: Long barreled weapons must add one to their Basic TH# when firing
at a range > 12 hexes.

4.13 LL: Extra-long barreled weapons must add one to their Basic TH#
when firing at a range > 12 hexes, or must add two to their Basic TH#
when firing at a range > 24 hexes.

4.2 SMALL CALIBERS: Smaller shells generally lost velocity faster
than larger shells, affecting trajectory, stability, and ultimately, accuracy.
Any weapon (including MG) ≤ 57mm is subject to a -1 modification to its
Basic TH# for every 12 hexes (or fraction thereof) beyond 12 hex range.
A weapon ≤ 40mm is subject to an additional -1 modification to its Basic
TH# at > 12 hex range.

The caliber rules state that the ≤ 40mm is in addition to the ≤ 57mm modification. The L and LL rules do not describe themselves as cumulative or in addition to the other.

I am going with not cumulative.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Being that "L" and "LL" barrels are designed to enhance muzzle velocity and increase accuracy (more time for the propellent to work on the projectile) and that the wind/air resistance has a detrimental effect upon smaller caliber rounds, I would think both modifications would apply. At least that's been my experience. There are other factors that may apply as well such as the amount/type of propellant used, the type of penetrator, etc. but in the final evaluation I would still apply both modifiers.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've always played it as not cumulative.

From the eASLRB Chap C4.5
Ah, totally misread the question. I thought he was saying "L" or "LL" barrel length and and Gun bore size would not be cumulative. I agree one should not consider an "LL" gun length modifier to be cumulative with an "L" modifier. However the MTH# of a bore size 40mm or less is in addition to a bore size of 57mm or less (as per the example).

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
They are not cumulative.....L and LL are totally separate..had this discussion in the early 90's just follow the chart description for each barrel length.