Are gold farmers that bad?

Have you ever 'gold farmed' (or something similar)?

• No way! Gold farming is an outrage.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • No, but I plan to at some point.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Yes, I have done it. No big deal.

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good post, and thanks for the links...

Yeah, I hate to see how little those people are getting paid for the gold farms, but that goes on in many different types of work over there. Personally, I fave to agree with your sentiments - it wouldn't bother me if person A wants to buy so much gold for X dollars... But it starts to impact me when I get whispered to 20 times in one day. I have yet to install a spam mod, but have been thinking about it.

Any of you guys use one?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Looks like Blizzard is finished playing around:

Blizzard said:
As many of you know, the latest content patch, along with many great new content additions, contains technical counter-measures designed to combat in-game gold spamming. Our efforts to reduce in-game abuse and create a fun, safe environment for everyone are never-ending.

With that said, we felt that it was important to share with the community just how serious we are in our efforts to combat this type of abuse. Blizzard has filed a federal lawsuit against the operators of Peons4hire, a popular gold-selling organization which many of you have no doubt seen advertised. As part of the lawsuit, the operators of Peons4hire have been asked to immediately cease all in-game spamming efforts by all entities and websites under their control.

If this organization refuses to act accordingly, further legal action will be taken. We'll be sure to keep you posted on the progress of this topic.
WoW Forums -> Gold Spam: Our Continued Efforts

D3adkl0wn

..your own personal Jesus
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
i really don't see how they can do anything personally, i mean the accounts are paid for, and they are just "playing" the game and gathering gold, so the only "rule" they break is that they sell the items that they get for real money.. tho the spamming sucks..

it personally doesn't bother me to see a lvl ?? player who doesn't know how to use his toon well enough to take me down in game (currently lvl 35 lock), it's fairly humorous really..

but what really bothers me is how much it messes with the in game economy. these kids buy gold and then because they CAN buy some "twink" stuff for 300g ti will most definitely be in AH for 300g.. even tho it's really not worth that much.. and this bleeds into other low lvl stuff too.. most of the greens i buy for dis-enchanting cost WAY more than they should in AH.. why? because the ppl who buy gold are making it easy to jack the prices up.. and so the market suffers..

sry that turned into a bit of a rant.. lol..

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, the spamming is what drives me crazy the most. Running DethNet is alot more work than most people realize. I think I do more 'guild work' than actual play, most of the time. And with 50 people whispering important things, trying to keep an eye on guild chat, etc, it's insane when these spammers start flooding me with ad after ad after ad. I mean, if I get into a fight, and draw a couple adds, by the time the dust clears, I need to scroll up 14 pages of text to see what was said. People get annoyed when they perceive themselves as being ignored, etc.

This is a (small) part of the reason we try to keep our guild chat a tad more mature than the /1 channel. I don't want anyone's time to be wasted reading through that trash anymore than I want them reading unwanted ads from gold farmers.