Are Armor Leaders Under-Utilised?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Armor Leaders seem very under-utilised to me.

Infantry leaders are an irremovable fixture of the game, but their armor counterparts seem remarkably rare.

Funnily enough AFV combat is made much more fun and interesting by the inclusion of a few AL. I've had combat results altered on several occasions by the DRM of AL. They can seriously improve an AFV's effectiveness.

Do you feel AL are underepresented? Or do you feel their use in the game is just right? You may even feel they are too common in ASL but I'd find that difficult to agree with.

I like to see the inclusion of AL in combined arms scenarios (or AFV only scenarios) because I know their presence is going to make a difference.
An AL can often change a miss TH DR into a hit. Particularly when the shot is a tricky one.

Would you like to see more Armor Leaders used in scenarios?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think some designers think AL's can be too powerful, but I also think the fact that they are not used much in itself causes scenario designers not to think of them.

Rod Zombie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to see more of them myself, if only because it will force my regular opponent to become paranoid about losing his AL and therefore keep his Tiger/King Tiger/Other USMGAFV* hidden out of LOS. :laugh:

- Rod

* "Uber Scary Massive German AFV"

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
No, armor leaders don't seem to live long and yes, people worry about losing them.

Hence we need more of them. Those two points above seem to prove that.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think their use is about right. They can have a significant impact in my view.

Last edited:

Nate Stapf

Reaction score
I want to see SSRs in armor-heavy scenarios that have each side roll for armor leaders on the armor leader chart of chapter H. That would be cool. Also, why not an SSR for a Gun leader? I have read many accounts of expert firing of AT guns inflicting great losses on enemy armor. Why not simulate that with an AT gun leader? Also tres cool. :)

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would like to see Inexperienced crews more often.
They seem even rarer than Armor Leaders.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I want to see SSRs in armor-heavy scenarios that have each side roll for armor leaders on the armor leader chart of chapter H. That would be cool. Also, why not an SSR for a Gun leader? I have read many accounts of expert firing of AT guns inflicting great losses on enemy armor. Why not simulate that with an AT gun leader? Also tres cool. :)

There are several scen. that have some AT leaders SSred. can't think of any off hand but i just played one not long ago.

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I personally never managed to remember I had one until my AFV became a blazing wreck...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also it would be nice to see non-German ALs especially & German AL's that are not in Tigers.

I wonder if Italian, axis minor, Japanese, and Allied minor AL's have ever even been used in a scenario? I can't even remember playing with one of these in a scenario.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
-2 infantry leader = lead magnet,
...therefore...
-2 armor leader = tungsten magnet

;)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Mine are definitely under utilised, as I in most cases forget that I have them. :(
The best solution for that is to place the AL counter on top of your AFV. I know this tells your opponent which AFV of yours have the AL but at least you don't forget them yourself.