Are any of these CH products actually in print?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More lies. Every week at the end of the CH newsletter that anyone can read is a code for a 30% discount for anything you buy that weekend. I use it all the time and get a 30% discount on whatever I buy. Stop misleading people Mark.
Ah, yes, that Critical Hit newsletter that everybody in the world knows about and subscribes to. I suspect only a fraction of members of the Gamesquad ASL forum even subscribe to that newsletter, much less the wider world.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It really is that easy to receive the 30% discount from CH. The pre-order price certainly does matter as well. If you truly wanted the product most people will utilize the pre-order system with CH (and the inevitable waiting game as well).

That $99.95 product with a pre-order price of 69.95 and the 30% discount will cost you less than $50.00.

You can always get a 30% discount for anything CH sells with the code so you almost never would have to pay the full price.
You have to know about and subscribe to said newsletter to get said discount. How does someone buying a CH product from NOble Knight's website know about it? Or from another retail seller, on-line or otherwise? CH's own website doesn't mention any available discounts on product pages.

To do a CH pre-order, you forego the only way of quality checking before purchasing an item from a company with a bad repuration.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kinda makes you wonder why he just doesn't cut his prices by 30%. Certainly first time buyers might not be aware of the discount code.

Oh wait ...
Grocery stores publish a flyer every week. If you don't shop with that flyer, is it the grocery stores fault?

Everyone has to do due diligence when buying ANYTHING. Mark's site does a very good job of explaining pluses and minuses of most products. If you go into the Critical Hit folder, on GS, most times someone is asking for the 30% code of the week. It is not hard to put 2+2 together.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, 25 cents off a tube of toothpaste is one thing.

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have to know about and subscribe to said newsletter to get said discount. How does someone buying a CH product from NOble Knight's website know about it? Or from another retail seller, on-line or otherwise? CH's own website doesn't mention any available discounts on product pages.

To do a CH pre-order, you forego the only way of quality checking before purchasing an item from a company with a bad repuration.
You're an ass. What does Noble Knight's have to do with anything? They can price an item at whatever they want. Are you that dumb? No, just trying to make CH look bad any way you can as usual. Also you can go to the forums area on the CH site and see any and all weekly newsletters and read them and even if you don't the first time you order something from CH you are put on the newsletter mailing list automatically, so you get it every week after that. So stop trying to mislead people Mark! It's not working.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It really is that easy to receive the 30% discount from CH. The pre-order price certainly does matter as well. If you truly wanted the product most people will utilize the pre-order system with CH (and the inevitable waiting game as well).

That $99.95 product with a pre-order price of 69.95 and the 30% discount will cost you less than $50.00.

You can always get a 30% discount for anything CH sells with the code so you almost never would have to pay the full price.
Yes if you know about the newsletter which means yes if you have been in ASL for a while.

Yes also if you know how to get on his newsletter.

Plenty of people in the world doesn't. PLENTY. Who namely? Newbies esp newbies from other countries/ other cultures. Who else? Geeks & nerds (that's us) who are NOT sociable, of which there are plenty. Solo players.

Gordon's right. Why doesn't CH just take the price down by 30% if he's sincere about it?

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes if you know about the newsletter which means yes if you have been in ASL for a while.

Yes also if you know how to get on his newsletter.

Plenty of people in the world doesn't. PLENTY. Who namely? Newbies esp newbies from other countries/ other cultures. Who else? Geeks & nerds (that's us) who are NOT sociable, of which there are plenty. Solo players.

Gordon's right. Why doesn't CH just take the price down by 30% if he's sincere about it?
Can you tell MMP how to run their business? No, and you make that statement to others all of the time. I don't know why CH does anything they do.

My post was in reference to Mark saying "Also, the "pre-order" price is irrelevant and there is no "30% discount that everyone always gets." I have never once gotten a discount in 20 years of buying CH products."

Both of those statements are not 100% true. There is a pre-order price and all of the products that you purchase from the website qualify for a 30% discount with the use of the weekly code. Both of which can used to subtract from the total 'cost' of said product.

I am not defending CH practices but facts are facts no matter how much someone does not like the final outcome. I personally have not bought anything from CH in quite some time. I really like maps and the map panels are not my cup of tea in any form.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your a nice guy Whiskers but boy, you need to chill out. Mark is a really nice guy in person and in the past I have had my disagreements with him, but he was right in many of our disagreements and I was wrong. CH puts out some interesting stuff but being the old grog that I am, I know it will have problems but I am a glutton for punishment lol. Anyway, with my hip replacement medical bills slamming me for the next several months, Ray and most other publishers will not be see'ing my hard earned $$. Gotta pay those bills off. The only thing I am receiveing is LC's Konigsberg this and thats because I ordered it last year. I am leery of LC's products but it is east front so I cant resist.

Scott

You're an ass. What does Noble Knight's have to do with anything? They can price an item at whatever they want. Are you that dumb? No, just trying to make CH look bad any way you can as usual. Also you can go to the forums area on the CH site and see any and all weekly newsletters and read them and even if you don't the first time you order something from CH you are put on the newsletter mailing list automatically, so you get it every week after that. So stop trying to mislead people Mark! It's not working.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To say Mark is lying when reporting the MSRP is absurd.
I am not saying that he is lying. I am saying, again, that this statement: "Also, the "pre-order" price is irrelevant and there is no "30% discount that everyone always gets." I have never once gotten a discount in 20 years of buying CH products." is not 100% true.

Mark might not know about the discounts but that does not mean that they do not exist. THAT is all that I am saying.

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
I am not saying that he is lying. I am saying, again, that this statement: "Also, the "pre-order" price is irrelevant and there is no "30% discount that everyone always gets." I have never once gotten a discount in 20 years of buying CH products." is not 100% true.

Mark might not know about the discounts but that does not mean that they do not exist. THAT is all that I am saying.
I was referring to this post:
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/are-any-of-these-ch-products-actually-in-print.155410/post-2001957

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Kinda makes you wonder why he just doesn't cut his prices by 30%. Certainly first time buyers might not be aware of the discount code.

Oh wait ...
Lulu.com - the publisher Mark uses for his scenario design book - has the same pricing scheme. It is annoying, as they publish my stuff as well, but the authors have no control over it. My point though is that it isn't uncommon, unfortunately - same logic that has people charge $9.99 for something instead of $10.00. You mark something up 30% then sell it for a 30% discount, and apparently it affects how people think about the product. I'm not defending it or saying I like it (I hate it, frankly) but some publishers seem to swear by it.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Can you tell MMP how to run their business? No, and you make that statement to others all of the time. I don't know why CH does anything they do.

My post was in reference to Mark saying "Also, the "pre-order" price is irrelevant and there is no "30% discount that everyone always gets." I have never once gotten a discount in 20 years of buying CH products."

Both of those statements are not 100% true. There is a pre-order price and all of the products that you purchase from the website qualify for a 30% discount with the use of the weekly code. Both of which can used to subtract from the total 'cost' of said product.

I am not defending CH practices but facts are facts no matter how much someone does not like the final outcome. I personally have not bought anything from CH in quite some time. I really like maps and the map panels are not my cup of tea in any form.
No I don't tell CH how to run their business. That was a question not a statement if you notice.

But I don't have to like what CH is doing to the ASL community at large (pls read my post as opposed to Mark's post). Whiskers lost its argument when it started attacking people.

And you are right - facts are facts no matter how much someone doesn't like the final outcome. Dang straight Top.

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"I don't agree with the way you always get so nasty." .. etc etc etc . Yeah .. okay. "Or do you always have to be an ass?" .. yep .. got it.