April 9th film

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just watched this yesterday - its on Amazon Prime.
Covers a Danish bicycle platoon working with a motorcycle unit during Denmark's short fight when it was invaded.
For the early war people this is for you - Pzr I's and II's, Sdkfz 221 and 222, Bofors 37mm AT guns and 20mm anti-tank motorcycles.
One inaccuracy - looks as though they couldn't get or just didn't bother to get MG-34's in places - clearly using MG-42's.
Thought it did a good job of covering the Danes' problem with communications and what it was like to stand up to infantry supported by armor early war with nothing more than light/medium MG's and rifles.
Some of the pictures from the wiki page on the campaign look like they could have been lifted right from the film.
Overall worth the watch.

Last edited:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I watched this movie last week... highly recommended!

I was very surprised to see a Pz II in the movie... perhaps the first time I've ever seen this tank portrayed on film.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was very surprised to see a Pz II in the movie... perhaps the first time I've ever seen this tank portrayed on film.
I wondered watching if it was a real one or a very good vismod - interesting to know if there are any runners left. Can't think of another film either that has them.

To add to above, found myself comparing the Danish perspective to the Norwegian one in "The Kings Choice".

Without going to OT and political too far, both films make watching the Norwegian series Okkupert feel like a long shadow from 1940 - how do you cope when you've got no support and are threatened as a small country.

I think that's a healthy thing for Americans to empathize with for moment, now and again.

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Just watched this yesterday - its on Amazon Prime.
Covers a Danish bicycle platoon working with a motorcycle unit during Denmark's short fight when it was invaded.
For the early war people this is for you - Pzr I's and II's, Sdkfz 221 and 222, Bofors 37mm AT guns and 20mm anti-tank motorcycles.
One inaccuracy - looks as though they couldn't get or just didn't bother to get MG-34's in places - clearly using MG-42's.
Thought it did a good job of covering the Danes' problem with communications and what it was like to stand up to infantry supported by armor early war with nothing more than light/medium MG's and rifles.
Some of the pictures from the wiki page on the campaign look like they could have been lifted right from the film.
Overall worth the watch.
The Danish army used a version of the MG-42 as the standard squad LMG/MMG until about 5 years ago, so I expect that the filmmakers simply borrowed some of those.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Them ain't rifles, thems Krags! A pre-WW1 design that had been dropped by almost everyone before that war. Note that the movie even got the right version of the Krag--the magazine box opens out horizontally (forward) and not vertically (downward).

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I wondered watching if it was a real one or a very good vismod - interesting to know if there are any runners left. Can't think of another film either that has them.

To add to above, found myself comparing the Danish perspective to the Norwegian one in "The Kings Choice".

Without going to OT and political too far, both films make watching the Norwegian series Okkupert feel like a long shadow from 1940 - how do you cope when you've got no support and are threatened as a small country.
ask Finland

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Saw it on Youtube about a year ago.

The Pz II looks real and corresponds to the Ausf c, A, B or C (before most survivors were uparmoured). The suspension looks dead right. The only niggle I have is that I have yet to see a preserved Pz II with the rounded (pre-uparmouring) front hull. The film may have used an uparmoured one but put sheet metal over the hull front to "back-work" it, it looks just a little too smooth. Whatever, they did a good job.

I spotted the SdKfz 221 and 222 but also a 223, again all looked accurate. The SdKfz 251 is actually an OT-810, a Czech version produced in the late '50s (apparently not particularly liked by its users who called it "Hitler's Revenge"). In the few instances where the German vehicular MGs were discernable they appear to be MG-34s, unlike the infantry who were using some MG-42s (or equivalents). I particularly liked the Madsen (8x58mmR Danish Krag) on a tripod. I missed the Pz I.

Overall an excellent attempt to get everything right, as good as the best in that regard.