Apology

Sunburn

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
I would like to offer an apology.

Several members of the Harpoon community, myself included, became engaged in a pointless string of arguments in several threads in this forum during the last few days.

The posts submitted were uneccessary, immature and for the most part self-serving. They do not at the slightest represent the Harpoon community, which is reknowned for its friendly and supportive nature.

I can offer no excuse of any sort for the recent actions of the offending members. All I can say is that personal sentiments, if left unchecked even briefly, can override common sense and common courtesy, take over one's actions and embarass one's self, one's mates and one's entire community. Which is a rather long way of saying that we, and I, screwed up.

I wish to remedy the situation as far as possible, starting by removing all offending material from my part. (In fact, I would be thankful if someone could walk me through the process of editing & removing one's post....been trying to find out the way for a couple hours now without success). I call upon the other offending members to do the same.

There is nothing more to state, other than that every effort shall be undertaken from my part to prevent this kind of behavior from appearing again. This forum, as well as the great Harpoon community of which I have been a proud member, are better than this and deserve better than this.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Firstly, thanks for posting your apology.

Secondly, the board settings have recently been changed and posts are now only able to be edited (and I think deleted) within 30 minutes of their original submission. You won't be able to go back and edit your old posts after this time.

We can either leave things as they are as a reminder of "what not to do", and hope that everybody moves on without any recurrence of the situation, OR, if you send me a PM indicating which threads you are referring to, I can remove them completely - BUT I think we would all prefer not to have to do that because IIRC, some of those threads did have some interesting information in them, and it would be a shame to delete them completely.

Dr. S.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I was so pre-occupied with our childish arguments over in the Off Topic Section...I didn't notice the Bru-ha over in the Harpoon Section. ;)

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Juno...

Sorry, we do not have a dedicated Harpoon section. Just a few Harpoon threads that pop up form time to time in our generic gaming areas.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Harpoon is a wargame that we have discussed supporting from time to time. Here are my thoughts on that.

It is very hard to start up a new section like this when there are already numerous fan pages that exist elsewhere. We have found that the best way to do this is to merge an existing webpage in with us. Most people who run these types of independant fan pages are hesitant to even consider such a move, but there are actually a lot of advantages to it. First and foremost is that it helps to get that wargame exposure. Many different types of wargamers will see it and this often helps to get people involved with titles they might not have otherwise considered. Also, WHQ has a great sfaff of wargaming volunteers and by working together as a team we are able to accomplish a lot than we would as individuals.

We are open to the idea of adding Harpoon support here at WHQ, but I would prefer to do this by merging in an existing effort with our own staff. Anyone wanting to pursue that further should contact me directly.

Marines

Reaction score
Sunburn said:
I would like to offer an apology.

Several members of the Harpoon community, myself included, became engaged in a pointless string of arguments in several threads in this forum during the last few days.

The posts submitted were uneccessary, immature and for the most part self-serving. They do not at the slightest represent the Harpoon community, which is reknowned for its friendly and supportive nature.

I can offer no excuse of any sort for the recent actions of the offending members. All I can say is that personal sentiments, if left unchecked even briefly, can override common sense and common courtesy, take over one's actions and embarass one's self, one's mates and one's entire community. Which is a rather long way of saying that we, and I, screwed up.

I wish to remedy the situation as far as possible, starting by removing all offending material from my part. (In fact, I would be thankful if someone could walk me through the process of editing & removing one's post....been trying to find out the way for a couple hours now without success). I call upon the other offending members to do the same.

There is nothing more to state, other than that every effort shall be undertaken from my part to prevent this kind of behavior from appearing again. This forum, as well as the great Harpoon community of which I have been a proud member, are better than this and deserve better than this.

Thanks for reading.
Opps, I thought I had posted a reply earlier.

No need to apologize friend, we all have differing opinions when it comes to Harpoon. The community itself is fragmented over HHQ, and its members and site admin. No worries.

Regards,

Bryan

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
NORAD said:
Sorry, we do not have a dedicated Harpoon section. Just a few Harpoon threads that pop up form time to time in our generic gaming areas.
There is now. :devil:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Sunburn said:
News and announcements from other sites is always welcome. People may disagree about the direction the community should go and which add-ons are best, but that's okay.

I hope people will take the time to post here and help make this a great new resource for the Harpoon community. One of the major advantages of the Warfare HQ/Armchair General forums is the size and diversity of the community. While fan pages dedicated to a specific wargame are great (I used to run several myself), with a system like we have here you get a lot of cross pollination of wargamers. People are exposed to new wargames and systems they might not have otherwise ever known or thought about.