AP59 'Taking Heads' Questions

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
First question: Is the dry river a -1 valley, otherwise OG? (can't find this in the ASLRB)

Second: The VC talk about the Japanese getting 5 VP if they can keep a road clear form the vorth edge to 3aM15. The road doesn't run from the North edge of the playing area, but from the E edge of board 48.

Do we use :

The road running form the north end of board 3a to 3aM15; or

The road running from 48 Q5 to 3aM15?

Thanks in advance.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Since the SSR doesn't say, I'd play it that it's still level -1, but open ground.
So would I.

Although I can't find anything in the rules about Rivers being Dry - only Stream can be Dry I think (something I missed when proofing this scenario).
In other scenarios a SSR like the this has been used (where drt is also used btw): "2.The river is dry; treat all river hexes as open ground valley (B22.)."

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I did double check before posting - a river is a water obstacle, so I'm pretty sure its just dry OG at -1. Thought I'd check though.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I did double check before posting - a river is a water obstacle, so I'm pretty sure its just dry OG at -1. Thought I'd check though.
Yes, that is what I think too.
Technically/rules-wise though I'm not sure that there is a definition for a Water Obstacle being Dry.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
You shameless name dropper you!
Normally I would not answer questions like this since they are not my scenarios, but Fort is probably my most regular table top opponent and I know he is away from his PC this week and won't be back to answer questions. If I can, I like to help him out since he gives me copies of the new maps in AP8 in exchange ;) -- jim

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Normally I would not answer questions like this since they are not my scenarios, but Fort is probably my most regular table top opponent and I know he is away from his PC this week and won't be back to answer questions. If I can, I like to help him out since he gives me copies of the new maps in AP8 in exchange ;) -- jim
I have one of those maps - the town on the hill, as I play tested a scenario for Ian Daglish.

Fort is away?

We could say anything about him.

Is it true he uses the IIFT?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have another question about this scenario. SSR states PTO terrain but all roads exist normally. There is an elevated road that crosses a stream; it has a bridge to do so. Does the bridge still exist?

PTO rules state "No roads exist (all brush-roads and woods-roads are Paths, with no Open Ground in the brush-/woods-road portion of those hexes; Sunken Roads (B4.) & Elevated Roads (B5.) are still in effect but with the road treated as Open Ground)" and "All bridges are Fords".

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have another question about this scenario. SSR states PTO terrain but all roads exist normally. There is an elevated road that crosses a stream; it has a bridge to do so. Does the bridge still exist?

PTO rules state "No roads exist (all brush-roads and woods-roads are Paths, with no Open Ground in the brush-/woods-road portion of those hexes; Sunken Roads (B4.) & Elevated Roads (B5.) are still in effect but with the road treated as Open Ground)" and "All bridges are Fords".
Fort would be the ultimate answer, but I *believe* the bridge still exists. Just my opinion though. It's how I would play it. -- jim

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fort would be the ultimate answer, but I *believe* the bridge still exists. Just my opinion though. It's how I would play it. -- jim
IIRC when we played it we had the bridge in play but treated the river bed as a large gully (2MF or 2MP + COT). Can't remember where we got this info, (perhaps an e-mail directly to Fort or online?). It really didn't make much of a difference as the crux of the action was centered in and around the village. BTW, the Filipinos smacked the live'n bejeebers out of the IJA.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Don't know Fort's intention, but as written I would probably play as if the bridge is not in play (compare to scenario AP91 when "roads/bridges" are spelled out).

That being said, setting up the map and seeing the VC and where the forces set up and enter, I really don't see the "bridge" coming into play that often - unless I missed something on the scenario card.

buser333

Reaction score
While I agree the scenario card as written doesn't seem to jive with the rulebook, SSR1 specifically says roads exist normally, and it certainly doesn't make much sense to have a big gap in the middle of the road, so I would play it with the existing bridge. There's a stone bridge in M16-M17 so it does not seem like a large stretch to imagine that the stone bridge in E17 still exists. I do agree, having played this one, that the action most likely will not even come close to that part of the board.

Last edited: