AP172 Hickory Lickin' - AAR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
AP172 Hickory Lickin' - AAR

NOTE:
In the above picture, the German Setup area (black dotted line) is incorrect. The onboard German units must set up SOUTH/EAST-of Hex Grains 46GG9-T2-53N0, i.e. NOT INCLUSIVE of the hexes of the dotted 'triangle'. This would make the setup area a bit smaller than we erroneously played it.

This scenario is another Andrew Rodgers design of Action Pack #16, which means that you are in for a close brawl with tough gut punches...

Set in Germany in October 1944, it pits the the attacking Americans vs. a mix of 548s and 447s with ample MGs that can dish out serious firepower against the GIs closing in on their 'castle' on the famously constricted board 46 town. Needless to say, to flush out the 'castle', the Americans have yet more firepower and are supported by no less than 5 Shermans in this 5.5 Turn tournament-sized scenario, but they are burdened by their lesser Morale while 'sucking it up'.

I will complete this AAR step by step when I find the time...

von Marwitz

Last edited:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently played this scenario. My opponent made the same setup area mistake as you.

Those stone buildings on the German right starting out devoid of German units makes a big difference.

Fun scenario!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Part of my motivation of writing AARs is to save others from making setup mistakes that happened to me. A while ago, I overlooked (despite I 'knew'...), that my units had only half their MF/MP for their turn of entry which turned the entire thoroughly engineered painstaking plan into a hopeless mess when the 150mm OBA came down on the traffic jam to 'sort things out'...

With regard to the setup area here, I agree that the extra buildings which were erroneously available to the Germans might cost the Americans some of their scarce time that they might later be lacking in the end-game.

von Marwitz