AP140 Misty Morning Mayhem

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JimP (Eagle02) and I had Red October CGII pretty much all setup and ready to play and then WHAM! COVID-19. Sigh. So we have been playing over VASL on Thursday nights. We will jump into CGII soon but our last VASL scenario was AP140 Misty Morning Mayhem. I took some notes so I'll write up a crappy AAR. I am not nearly as funny as Major Issues or vonTrotta, but I am funny looking; especially when I'm wearing a Darth Vader mask in line at McDonalds.

AP140 looks really interesting as the Germans have a super human force of 11 658 squads and 7(!!!) Panthers with help from a company of 468/467s and a PzIV and StuG IIIG to capture all multi-hex buildings on 3 boards. There are 6 such buildings. The Americans have 15 squad equivalents but some MGs, a 57L AT and 3 76L AT guns. The Guns are HIP with some BAZ44 toting dudes too. But with such a powerful SS force, how can the good guys survive 8.5 turns? One word: Fog.

E3.3 FOG is in effect (SSR 1). Key point of this rule for this scenario:

All Smoke rules otherwise apply normally.

This means one can only see out to 3 hexes (+2 LV in hex, +1, +1, +1, etc) and each hex moved into will add 1 MF/MP. So things will be very slow going and no one will be able hit the side of a barn, or winery, or whatever they have in this part of France.

I seriously pondered putting 2 of the Guns and the BAZ44 units HIP next to the "gimme" building in 71Y7. The Guns are going to have a hard time hitting anything. I figured most German players would leave a squad, at best, in that building and then move on. Why not have the HIP force jump out in turn 6 or 7, kill that dude and then say "how do you like them dem apples?". But I wussed out and did a conservative setup. If I play this again, and my opponent does not read this AAR, I will try out. :)

The mandatory units on board 55 setup to lay down some fire on the most likely approach; from due south of the village. As mentioned, movement will be very slow and even with 9 turns, the Germans cannot waste any time. I assumed the rest of the turn 1 force would come out on 71GG6 and head due west. Still, I put almost all of my stuff in the village itself. Way to slow to fall back and he's got 9 AFVs to my zero. The German player will not let you fall back. I put my guns along the perimeter, which is a mistake IMHO. Either setup the end game trap as described above or put them in the village. They cannot hit worth crap in the Fog. Might as well have the try to blow up anyone who gets into 1 hex range, etc, etc. My setup:

FYI, there is a CVP cap but I never really thought I'd have a shot of getting near it.

Turn 1:
As expected JimP comes in on the shortest possible paths. Four Panthers and what looks like most of the SS infantry come in from the south. Three Panthers and the rest of the SS infantry from the east. The board 55 American HMG kills a 658 Rider as it fails a 2MC and then boxcars the bailout MC. The HMG actually got a good ROF tear that breaks another 658 Rider, but the bailout MC generates a Hero instead. But later a Panther breaks the 347 manning the HMG so that is out for the rest of the game.

Turn 2:
I have a 'picket' MMG setup on board 71 to cover the road from the east. He gets a shot off to break a 658 and lay down a firelane. Don't expect a lot but it is a speed bump nonetheless. The 2nd Panzer division (another coy, a PzIV and StuG IIIG enter from the north; again with the shortest vector towards the main village. They do have a building to capture on their way to the village. I have a squad and 2 half squads there to make it look like I'm defending it at least a little bit.

In G2 the broken 347 who was manning that HMG tries to surrender but the dirty bastard SS declare No Quarter. To show them up, my 8-1 kills the Hero who jumped him for CC. That 8-1 had training and knew how to sneak up on his foe (ambushed him). My half of the turn is running back to the village. The Fog slows me down too.

Turn 3:
The Germans press on and I break a MMG on a 8+3 shot; which is a fantastic shot in this scenario. I reveal the 57L for a butt shot on a PzV but am unable to hit. That crew ends up ditching the gun and threatens victory building at the end game. :) The 57L does cause a Panther to change it's path and a HIP Hero/BAZ has a great chance...and blows it. A 3rd Panther and 658 pull up next to the Hero, who all of sudden wants to go on vacation. But they are not able to take him out and he ends up running westward and causes a bunch of trouble for the Germans (and then dies, unfortunately).

In the southwest a Panther overruns a concealed 667/MTR and I decide to keep concealment. The OVR has no effect but I totally forgot that Panthers have a sN and that breaks him in the CC phase. In this scenario, the Americans should ALWAYS be in a building. Never leave or you will get overrun.

I reveal a 76L for a Panther shot which misses and he ends up changing VCA to point at me so I really cannot affect him now. Most of my turn is still failing back but I try to threaten a Panther with the Hero/BAZ and a 666 with a broken MMG and 8-1. The stupid 666 fails PAATC (6 morale dudes don't like to attack tanks). He need a freaking 9 to kill so it was a no brainer to attempt. Oh well.

Continue in next post....

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 4:
I fix an MMG in Rally but then the Germans are on the move. An 8-1,666/MMG,Hero/BAZ are overrun...twice! Eventually both break and the Hero is wounded. The broken units will die for FTR since they are eventually surrounded by the bad guys. Two buildings are captured. The Americans are pouring into the village as the Germans are starting to get behind me. I am unable to really hurt the SS. The 10-2 and some units are trying to be a big pass in the German ass and are so far succeeding.

Turn 5:
I am unable to rally anyone this turn. The StuG preps at point blank and misses! Otherwise the Panthers are on the prowl and terrorize the village. I lose a 346 due to FTR and a 666 dies in CC. My wounded hero dies in CC but he tied up a bunch of forces for a couple of turns. The highlight for me is that the 10-2 and a 666 are able to ambush and kill a 658/LMG and move back into a VC building.

Continued in 3rd post.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 6:
I am able to rally a unit in German and American rally phase, which helps. No Prep for the Germans as they need to get a move on. I reveal the last HIP 76L and it burns a PzV. But it is way out of position to really contribute for the reset of the game. I try pushing it later but it goes no where. The Germans attack building J6 in earnest. I got the 10-2 and a 666 upstairs and a 347/MMG and 7-0 downstairs. 3 Panthers and 2 squads move in. I only manage to break a 348 in the process.

The G4 building is also under attach by 2 Panthers and more squads. I blow another good Street Fighting chance when a 666 fails the PAATC. The D3 building has good stuff in it but a Panther drove in behind it. My turn is pretty quick and I lose an 8-1 and 666 trying to make their way back to D2. First he rolls snakes on an IFT shot which pins the 8-1 and breaks the 666. This followed up by a Panther MA shot with another snakes to crit with a 3rd snakes to kill them all. Sigh. Now I just need to stay alive.

Turn 7:
Not a good turn for the Americans. Several units break and die for FTR. The J6 and G4 buildings fall so only the Alamo in D2 survives and it's a Panther in the back yard (someone call animal control!). I tried another Ambush gambit in J6 with the 10-2 but this one failed and I lost the building.

Turn 8:
I manage to rally a 666 in D2. The Panther in C3 kills a broken 1/2 squad that was in hex. He was the left over from an attempt to kill the tank in CC (I did immobilize it). The Germans are low in time and move in to the last VC building.

Alamo completely surrounded:
D2: 666 | 9-1, 667
D3: 667/MMG | 666

In my half of the turn I do not rally anyone have a crappy Prep fire turn and boxcars a NMC in DF to lose another 666. Side note, I advance a concealed 227 int a concealed 467 in N4. I successfully ambush and need a 6 to kill him and take the building back. I roll boxcars. Sigh.

Turn 9 (last turn):
It's actually looking pretty bad for the Germans. I got dudes upstairs and downstairs. He needs to kill the guys upstairs to win. His first rolls are crappy: all 9 or higher. He gets a PTC on D2 level 1 and the 9-1 and 667 both pass. A 20FP+6 rolls snakes for a 2MC which does break them. A Panther bypasses D2 and the 666 passes the PAATC to roll snakes and burn him. The 666 on level 0 D2 ends up pinning. But that's all he can get.

Americans win!

This was an interesting scenario. With such a powerful force it seems like a cake walk for the SS. But the Fog really changes things up. 9 movement phases is barely enough. The Americans need to stay in the buildings and make the Germans come at them with +6 shots. The low SAN invites crappy rolls but that is needed in this game. :)

ROAR has it 4-0 Americans. I enjoyed it and that is the main point here. :)