AP131 Crickets in Spring

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
We started this scenario last night.

I am playing the defending Russians. I didn't formulate a very cohesive strategy so it's a little up front and a little held back! The mud really slows down and funnels the German advance. So far (through 2 turns) the Russians are holding their own. CVP-wise I am pleased; 1 Panther knocked out, 1 251/1 and 1 6-5-8 gone, and 1 251/10 burning. There is another Panther bogged in the mud and the third one is dueling with my currently malfunctioned (!) 76L that will probably see the crew attempt to run and create a little havoc in the German backfield.

To be continued...

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Germans have lost something like 21CVP already. Looks like the HT on road is also in trouble.

Very tough to overcome.

Rich

Last edited:

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
The Germans have lost something like 21CVP already. Looks like the HT on road is also in trouble.

Very tough to overcome.

Rich
It would seem that way. My plan is too keep protect T-34s and hopefully kill a few more or his AFV and make the CVP hard to overcome with building VP.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You've got a fairly potent infantry counterattack force as well and you're so mobile, he just can't cover everything.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
You've got a fairly potent infantry counterattack force as well and you're so mobile, he just can't cover everything.
It's funny how with a good scenario I feel the same way- I see hordes of 6-5-8s with halftracks!

I will need to protect my T-34s to not give up CVP there.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I lost this one as the Russian vs. Vrosso.
Putting aside the fact that he is a better player than me, I think that the Russians have a tough time to hold on.
Once they loose some T-34/85, things get quite hard.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
I lost this one as the Russian vs. Vrosso.
Putting aside the fact that he is a better player than me, I think that the Russians have a tough time to hold on.
Once they loose some T-34/85, things get quite hard.
Robin- I feel the same way- those late war Germans are so deadly with the PF capability and the Mud makes it all but impossible to get a flank or rear shot on the Panthers. Street Fighting is slighlty helpful but of course then opens up paths for the German infantry after the Russians use DFF. I think I can take out a Grille or two which will help with CVP and limit his ITT capability but we shall see!

Advice welcome! :) We plan to finish up next week.

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Part of the strategy vs. Robin, in our match was to keep the German force rather tight, especially the Panthers to avoid having the T34's getting behind them or ganging up them one at a time. I figured the combined force would chew up what ever is in front of them, including some T-34's and all I would really need to do was go 50-50 on capturing buildings and the CVP should then add up in my favor.

Up in Albany, this was played a lot (although I didn't play this one), walking around looking at the games ahead of time, one setup that stood out was Bill Cirillo's who seemed to have the Russians in a tight knot on top of the hill where it's a challenge to get uphill and into the buildings on a dry day.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
We finished this scenario up. The VP/CVP tally was Russians 76 to 35 Germans. The Germans lost a Panther to a 76L side shot, another Panther became bogged and immobilized which didn't help CVP but left the Germans with only one Panther to take on the T-34/85s.

As the Russians I felt like I was able to basically maintain a reserve of 3 squad, leader and 3 T-34s at the rear line of buildings thanks to the Germans difficulty in getting in the backfield.

I can see how this one can quickly turn though as the few Grille shots that hit were PAINFUL to Russian infantry!

Overall I really enjoyed and would play again.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe this scenario heavily favors the Russian. Played it at Callen Bash vs. Stan Jackson and won as the german by 15 points but was only a 1 point difference going into the last Russian turn. PF shots at t-34s trying to back away to safety was the difference. The building points are the main problem. It will be hard for the german to gain very many of their points from building control and the loss of even one panther will be devastating.
The Russian setup will find the two mmgs almost definitely in first levels of building on the hill. There are limited hexes for the three guns to set up and remain HIP, but the two hex hill on the Russian left flank will almost certainly have one of them. And then there is the mud, always the mud. Great scenario. Lots of fun. But for a tournament, take the defender every time in this one.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Morning
Finishing up this scenario (VASLeague) this evening and as the Russian, nothing has gone right! My opponent has passed all his Mud bog checks .. he took some chances. Had one ART piece on the small hill (Russian Left Flank) .. had a rear shot on a Panther and BOOM!! Malf'ed!! on the first TH DR. Pretty much been malf city during the entire scenario for my Russians. But .. stranger things have happened. Have reinforced the hill with my reinforcements preparing for a counter-attack. German is ahead on VP's right now but a lot of buildings still up for grab. A fun scenario so far ..
cheers ya'll!
Piercer

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
I think it's on of those knife edge ones that can go either way and go in a big way with some malfs, KIAs etc. The mud is a big unknown. The Germans PF capability and the 10-2 make up for the Russians terrain advantage at start.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do you play Smoke with Mud? I get no ordnance Smoke, except in buildings but what about sD/sN and/or Inf/Veh smoke grenades? I can understand the realism of no ornance smoke, but didn't sD/sN just blow smoke upward w/out ground contact? And wouldn't a Inf smoke grenade work in mud? Or more importantly what do the rules say?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How do you play Smoke with Mud? I get no ordnance Smoke, except in buildings but what about sD/sN and/or Inf/Veh smoke grenades? I can understand the realism of no ornance smoke, but didn't sD/sN just blow smoke upward w/out ground contact? And wouldn't a Inf smoke grenade work in mud? Or more importantly what do the rules say?
There is no SMOKE in mud except as excepted [A24.6; E3.734]. For those of you looking to enhance your cross references, this is an opportunity to add a note at/near E3.6.

JR