AP114 A Lion in the Field

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My opponent wanted to break in his OBA cards (purpose-built ASL OBA cards) which he has had for a while but never used. I looked for a scenario with OBA from the most recent Action Pack and found this. Without knowing too much about it I suggested the scenario. If you look at the OBs raw, the Germans are very strong. With six Pz IVs, thirteen SS squads (five of them assault engineers), and two FTs, there's not a whole lot better that force could get. I suppose they could have a -2 or -3 leader, but complaining about that in the circumstances seems petty.

The British on the other hand are a slightly-below-average force with slightly-below-average means. Only nine squads, a HMG, a MMG, two PIATs and two 57L guns have to stop the SS. About the only weapon they have that might be a bit above average is a 70mm OBA module with extra ammo. They don't have any (non-inherent) LMGs, which has got to be an odd occasion. They have the same leadership team as the Germans, but they also have to man the radio.

The VC are for the Germans to take all the multi-hex buildings in town and have more VP at game end. CVP count normally and the Germans get exit VP on the north edge of the board. The buildings are a lure to get the Germans to fight. The obvious targets for the British are the German Pz IVs. The problem is that they have to kill them off without equivalent loss to themselves. If they kill a Pz IV but lose a 57L and a crew both captured, that's a six-to-eight loss ratio, which won't play. If both the gun and the crew are eliminated, that's six-to-four, which is not great but at least it's to the British advantage. Most likely is that the Gun is captured and the crew escapes. To be really beneficial the British Guns either have to survive any encounter or take out at least two German tanks. The Germans can add too, so don't plan on seeing clusters of tanks. The British get two crews which they can set up HIP with PIATs. Here an exchange will bring six CVP for four (assuming the tank is destroyed and the crew is captured), but the chances of hitting a tank are lower. So again the British prefer the crew survives the ambush, i.e. they can't set up a suicide ambush.

My opponent said he set up the "obvious" British defense then changed his mind. It seemed hopeless to him to try to fight the Germans in stone buildings. Instead he left the town undefended (!). I still had to run halfsquads (it seemed quicker than searching/mopping up) through the multi-hex buildings to verify there wasn't a HIP crew in one of them. I did not have to worry about a HIP crew adjacent (for a last turn sleaze) because by SSR crews were treated as SMC for control purposes. They can deny gain of control, but they can't cause loss. The risk he ran by setting up as he did is that if I scored an early CVP (e.g. a SAN takes out a leader), I could retreat to the town and let him attack!

His MLR was on the boards 40/53 seam. He attempted to dig a foxhole in 40Q1 for a halfsquad and HMG. I left the tanks to the rear of the attack because of their CVP value. Until I had sensed the British defense I held them back. The German infantry performed very stupidly for eight ML troops. I lost a halfsquad to a rinky-dink result, and the British OBA (directed from 40Q9) broke four squads and a leader in stone buildings. Still they are a mighty force, and they pushed forward into the 40U10 forest and the 40L10 area. At some point my opponent brought out his PIAT crews. These were set up to prevent a wide sweep by the Panzers in 40AA8 and 40F6 (or in that vicinity). One was quickly broken trying to run after a Mk IV, and the other reinforced the center around 40L6.

Once my infantry had probed his MLR a bit, I decided it would be ok to bring up some of the tanks in the 40N9 area. I didn't think he would have AT defenses inside the orchard. This proved true, and around turn six I racked up some British CVP by eliminating and capturing units. This would be enough to win. After the game I learned the British had set up their AT Guns across the river.

This scenario puzzles me exceedingly; I can not make it out. The German force seems so overwhelming. It's a bit surprising that the British have no concealment to start. That makes the German's task a little easier. If there is a unit in the steeple (probably a MG or the OBA Observer), a quick Smoke round will reduce its effectiveness. There are lots of reasons to believe this favors the Germans heavily.

I could see why my opponent felt the "obvious" British defense was fairly hopeless. In retrospect I can see three possible strategies for the British. The first is the "obvious" one: delay the Germans from the outset and build an Alamo around the 53P3 block and try to eliminate as many Germans as possible. The Germans meanwhile will be taking prisoners in hopes of offsetting the casualties that are easy to come by in street-fighting.

The second idea is a bit more complicated, but it builds upon my opponent's intuition that the "obvious" defense will result in a crushing. In our game I was unable to strongly engage the British with no opposition until turn three or so. The British held me back a couple turns on the boards 53/40 seam, so my Germans were unable to really engage until turn six. If the Germans can be delayed a bit longer a final defense on the boards 53/40 seam might be able to force the Germans to risk their tanks, and in those circumstances an AT Gun might be able to poke holes in a couple of them. My suggestion for delay would be to put the OBA Observer in 53O5 level one. Bring in the OBA as harrassing fire to make the center of the town difficult for infantry. MGs in 53O5 and 53W3 put down firelanes to hold the Germans up for a turn or two. Then the British scamper out the back of the town for the 53/40 border; by then you hope they have scored an additional CVP or two. If things have gone according to plan, the Germans are now somewhat desperate and will commit their tanks. An ATG waiting for this (e.g. in 40P8 or 40R5) may bag a couple before being broken. The defense and pullback are going to be tricky with this one as from 53K3 the Germans can cut the British off from their retreat route.

The third idea is to break the scenario. The British set up all their units across the river. One ATG in 40C2 and one in 40DD2 wait for German tanks. The OBA Observer in 40C1 will bring down OBA on any infantry that emerge to probe the bridge or take the British under fire from across the river. Other infantry dig as many foxholes as possible.

My final judgment is that it is an tricky puzzle for the British side. The German force seems so inevitable. I would like to play the British just to see how strategies two and/or three play out, but I would never play the scenario for kidneys. It would also be a great scenario for playing a newbie: give the newbie the Germans and then show him how might doesn't always make right. Show him how experience and guile can beat youth, innocence and a bad haircut.

My other final observation is that the OBA cards that started us down this path had the British OBA deck with plentiful ammunition, and they double-red-carded out without a mission. I told my opponent to try again, as there was no way the British were going to have a hope if they didn't get OBA, so we mulligan-ed the result. But if I were him I would return those OBA cards for my money back. They are obviously faulty.

JR

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ray Woloszyn and I played this at the last ASLOK. Ray had the British and deployed a lot and skulked a lot. His OBA leader was in the center of town bringing the OBA in mostly around his own building. One ATG was in a building on the German left, the other was outside of the village on the German right. One HIP crew with a PIAT defended the exit bridge. We engaged in a heavy city fight, except for one Pz4 that ran across the board and exited. Overall, the Brits were able to bottle up the Germans in the town. After four or five turns, I decided that I could not win.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ray Woloszyn and I played this at the last ASLOK. Ray had the British and deployed a lot and skulked a lot. His OBA leader was in the center of town bringing the OBA in mostly around his own building. One ATG was in a building on the German left, the other was outside of the village on the German right. One HIP crew with a PIAT defended the exit bridge. We engaged in a heavy city fight, except for one Pz4 that ran across the board and exited. Overall, the Brits were able to bottle up the Germans in the town. After four or five turns, I decided that I could not win.
Your experience surprises me. My sense was that a straight-up city battle is not winnable for the British even with their OBA. With FT and assault engineers I would think the British could be driven easily. Perhaps it would just take too long.

JR

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My sense was that a straight-up city battle is not winnable for the British even with their OBA. With FT and assault engineers I would think the British could be driven easily. Perhaps it would just take too long.

JR
I agree.

Have played this twice. As the British, I managed to destroy all of the enemy armour. However, my opponent was using vehicles for the first time in a decade or more. Even then, it was a close run thing. The lack of OB-given ? counters for the Brits is unsettling--the Brit defence feels exposed from the start. Moreover, the arty requires a deft hand to have any impact on the SS. While I was able to get a couple of concentrations on board, they hardly slowed the attacker.

I gave the Brits the balance when I gave the Jerries a go (vs a different, more experienced player). The lack of second FT had no effect on the (inevitable) outcome. Indeed, the remaining FT sputtered out early in the scenario. By the second last turn there were no unbroken British units on board. I also had two tanks able to exit the following turn, not mention heaps of POW. IIRC, I lost only one tank (to a low-odds PIAT shot late in the game), but I was being a bit reckless at this point.

Very tough on the Brits, IMO. But to be fair, I hadn't given your third defensive option consideration.

As for the OBA cards, try DB113 "Fontenay by Day" instead. It's a solid scenario, with good depth in each OB, and unlikely to go one way or another as a result of any OBA card tricks.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree.

Have played this twice. As the British, I managed to destroy all of the enemy armour. However, my opponent was using vehicles for the first time in a decade or more. Even then, it was a close run thing. The lack of OB-given ? counters for the Brits is unsettling--the Brit defence feels exposed from the start. Moreover, the arty requires a deft hand to have any impact on the SS. While I was able to get a couple of concentrations on board, they hardly slowed the attacker.

I gave the Brits the balance when I gave the Jerries a go (vs a different, more experienced player). The lack of second FT had no effect on the (inevitable) outcome. Indeed, the remaining FT sputtered out early in the scenario. By the second last turn there were no unbroken British units on board. I also had two tanks able to exit the following turn, not mention heaps of POW. IIRC, I lost only one tank (to a low-odds PIAT shot late in the game), but I was being a bit reckless at this point.

Very tough on the Brits, IMO. But to be fair, I hadn't given your third defensive option consideration.

As for the OBA cards, try DB113 "Fontenay by Day" instead. It's a solid scenario, with good depth in each OB, and unlikely to go one way or another as a result of any OBA card tricks.
Chris,

I haven't played this but agree with you 100% based on pre-tourney prep. The nail in the coffin is the prohibition against HIP Piats (by SSR) firing at a lower level at 0/1 hex range.

I have played and would also recommend DB113 and would take either side happily.

Paul

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd happily play either side in this scenario - as long as I was the Germans. Seriously, this would take some significant PBS to make this scenario work, IMHO...

Steve

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
But to be fair, I hadn't given your third defensive option consideration.
The third option is a "break the scenario" idea. The problem with it is that it is brittle. If the Germans score a CVP before the British, the Germans run back to the village and start searching cellars for Calvados.

JR

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The third option is a "break the scenario" idea. The problem with it is that it is brittle. If the Germans score a CVP before the British, the Germans run back to the village and start searching cellars for Calvados.

JR
It's a gamble, sure. But what have you got to lose, the scenario?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have played and would also recommend DB113 and would take either side happily.

Paul
Just finished this a few minutes ago. Came down to last MPh. CX SS 10-2 (Heroic) and 6-5-8 moved through trench and building hexes, survived 8+2 and 16+2 shots and entered street, threatening to reclaim three building hexes.

HMG stack fails to make an impression with an 8+1 shot (intervening wall). First FB makes point attack (12-2), and SS pass with flying colours. Bomb misses target. Second FB makes point attack, and rolls boxcars on cannon fire. Bombs hits with an Original DR 3. Leader fails MC and wounds, but squad passes. Then squad fails LLMC. Game over. Allies have 20 VP with one VP in contention in CC. Brits need 18 VP for win.

Had the 10-2 stack reclaimed three building hexes, it would have been down to the last CC (3-4-8 vs 2-4-8/1-4-9) with the Allies needing a DR 6 (or less) for the win. One GO SS squad on board at game end.

What a ride! We generated six heroes, including two heroic leaders, and created at least three leaders. Casualties from OBA were modest. Do not be put off by the creeping barrage. Mine started two turns early and did squat. We had four burning wrecks, including the Panther, which went down to a captured PSK.

Put this one on your play list!

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished this a few minutes ago. Came down to last MPh. CX SS 10-2 (Heroic) and 6-5-8 moved through trench and building hexes, survived 8+2 and 16+2 shots and entered street, threatening to reclaim three building hexes.

HMG stack fails to make an impression with an 8+1 shot (intervening wall). First FB makes point attack (12-2), and SS pass with flying colours. Bomb misses target. Second FB makes point attack, and rolls boxcars on cannon fire. Bombs hits with an Original DR 3. Leader fails MC and wounds, but squad passes. Then squad fails LLMC. Game over. Allies have 20 VP with one VP in contention in CC. Brits need 18 VP for win.

Had the 10-2 stack reclaimed three building hexes, it would have been down to the last CC (3-4-8 vs 2-4-8/1-4-9) with the Allies needing a DR 6 (or less) for the win. One GO SS squad on board at game end.

What a ride! We generated six heroes, including two heroic leaders, and created at least three leaders. Casualties from OBA were modest. Do not be put off by the creeping barrage. Mine started two turns early and did squat. We had four burning wrecks, including the Panther, which went down to a captured PSK.

Put this one on your play list!
Hey Chris,

Would you mind commenting on how the British came in? Up the middle or from a side? I lost as the Brits coming up the middle. It just got too tight and I ran out of time.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Chris,

Would you mind commenting on how the British came in? Up the middle or from a side? I lost as the Brits coming up the middle. It just got too tight and I ran out of time.
Hi Mike,

Main force with one Sherman, entered along right edge of board 10 and pushed slowly into ville. A couple HS probed up the middle, while a modest force with two 8-0 leaders, a PIAT, and an LMG probed board 44. Once they found the 50L (in the orchard beside the graveyard), they started to hook around behind the main defensive position, with one stack in the last row of stone buildings (with a PIAT) when the Panther showed. The other Shermans entered board 44 on T3, IIRC, while the Churchill headed into the village proper trying to draw fire from the 75L (which I thought was hidden in the smoked-off steeple hex). The gun was in the building directly behind the church, and adjacent to the road. It missed the shot (limited aim, etc.) and then I was next to the Z6 building in Motion. (Lost this tank later to a PeSKy HS that won a long-running Melee and burned the vehicle. The fact that the tank was burning actually helped me win the game, as the extra MF for entering a smoke-filled hex compelled the 10-2 stack to avoid this hex and enter the portion of the street with no cover. The FB did the rest.)

The German left was lightly protected, intended to draw me onto the HIP 10-2 death star (6-5-8/MMG/HMG) in 10X6, which also contained a set DC that fortunately for me was never detonated. My oppo attributed part of my success to the HS flush of his right flank. His Panther parked in 10GG5 and refused to die. I lost two Shermans the following PFPh after they failed their BFF shots. My last Sherman (containing my AL) had the Panther acquired but rolled boxcars on his DFPh TH, and was later shocked and TKO'd in Z5. IOW, I got lucky in some respects. That said, I think the Germans need to contest the row of buildings in front of 10Z6 more vigourously than my oppo did before falling back.

My initial feeling was that the scenario was slightly pro German, perhaps 55 percent. But I have heard horror stories of how buildings rubbled by FFEs have buried entire stacks of MIB. Nothing like this happened in our game. My opponent played his last MPh well. I thought I was done for. Then I remembered my FB (that I failed to use the previous turn).

Another fellow I know thinks that a strong left hook along the board seem of 10 and 44 is the way to go. In the end, it depends upon what the German gives you.I felt that the right was too weakly defended upfront. This allowed me to gain a foothold, and mass my MGs.

I think the scenario has plenty of replay value, and no two attacks will work the same. But I would probably avoid attacking straight up the middle.

Good fun whatever the outcome. :)

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
"The third idea is to break the scenario. The British set up all their units across the river. One ATG in 40C2 and one in 40DD2 wait for German tanks. The OBA Observer in 40C1 will bring down OBA on any infantry that emerge to probe the bridge or take the British under fire from across the river. Other infantry dig as many foxholes as possible."

I played this as a Friendly with Hennie at Grenadier. I barely won as the Germans but in after-game discussion we agreed that this idea might break the scenario completely.

The AT guns, set up across the river or far on the sides, should be able to bag a tank each at long range in this setup. Should any be at risk of overrun, you simply destroy the guns and the maximum CVP for the Germans is 4 for a captured crew. The HIP PIATs can be in foxholes killing any tank that might hope to exit. The OBA guards the bridge entry.

But Mr Pleva said he would play it either side, as long as he has the Germans. But until someone decent has tried this miserable setup and lost, I would take up that challenge.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I played AP114 at ASLOK with Dave Perham. He set-up entirely across the river, except for a single HIP MMC (I cannot recall exactly whether it was Crew or HS).

I swept the village looking for hippies and flushed this little fellow, who broke & fled.

I was hesitant to expose myself to Brit fire from across the river, but managed to eliminate the above mentioned MMC and win the scenario.

It was not a lot of fun for either of us.

Jeff

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I played AP114 at ASLOK with Dave Perham. He set-up entirely across the river, except for a single HIP MMC (I cannot recall exactly whether it was Crew or HS).

I swept the village looking for hippies and flushed this little fellow, who broke & fled.

I was hesitant to expose myself to Brit fire from across the river, but managed to eliminate the HS and win the scenario.

It had to be a crew. Only crews can be HIP, and only when possessing a PIAT (only) or an emplaced Gun. BTW one could interpret the SSR allowing HIP ("The British may use HIP for < two 2-2-8 crews, provided each possesses only a PIAT") as disallowing HIP for the crews possessing the 57L Guns (the British get four 2-2-8 crews, two 57L Guns and two PIATs), but I think that would be churlish.

If the British are going for the cross-river setup, they really have to go all-in. Just one CVP wins the scenario for the Germans if they suffer none of their own and the British concede the multi-hex buildings.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Perhaps another way for the British to win this is to set up something "interesting" in the steeple. The hexes 42O5, 42P4, 42P5 and 42Q5 are within twelve hexes of the steeple, and you would expect that even with "elite" special ammo the Germans will set up two or three Pz IVs in that area to get the twelve-hex range SMOKE TH bonus. A HIP 57L in 42N3 might bag a pair of tanks or even three. Then all the British that are not already there flee to the north side of the river. Again this does not make for a fun game.

JR

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the first scenarios I played at the start of the newyear and my opponent and I found it dreadfully boring.

Scott

I was hesitant to expose myself to Brit fire from across the river, but managed to eliminate the above mentioned MMC and win the scenario.

Jeff

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Perhaps another way for the British to win this is to set up something "interesting" in the steeple. The hexes 42O5, 42P4, 42P5 and 42Q5 are within twelve hexes of the steeple, and you would expect that even with "elite" special ammo the Germans will set up two or three Pz IVs in that area to get the twelve-hex range SMOKE TH bonus. A HIP 57L in 42N3 might bag a pair of tanks or even three. Then all the British that are not already there flee to the north side of the river. Again this does not make for a fun game.

JR
This had occurred to me (only not in 42N3). But as you point out, it would not be a fun game, and certainly no way to welcome back a former player.

It's a pity though, because the tactical situation presents some interesting challenges for the Brits. I just cannot see how they are supposed to mount a traditional defence of the village, and have a reasonable chance for victory. If "gamey" plays are are the only viable solutions to the tactical problem, then the scenario gets an F for fun.

It would be interesting to have Bill Sisler's insight on how the scenario was intended to play out.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This had occurred to me (only not in 42N3). But as you point out, it would not be a fun game, and certainly no way to welcome back a former player.

It's a pity though, because the tactical situation presents some interesting challenges for the Brits. I just cannot see how they are supposed to mount a traditional defence of the village, and have a reasonable chance for victory. If "gamey" plays are are the only viable solutions to the tactical problem, then the scenario gets an F for fun.

It would be interesting to have Bill Sisler's insight on how the scenario was intended to play out.
I would be interested in playtester's comments. I am fairly sure it was intended to play out as a fight in the village with the British either winning by inflicting lots of casualties or by holding on to a multi-hex building. I would also be interested for someone to look this over and see if it is correct. The absence of concealment counters is very unexpected.

JR