AP101 When I Call Roll

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings,

Just getting around to this scenario Steve Anderson and I played on the latest anniversary of the landings in Normandy. We have been playing ASL for many years but always shied away from the LC/Beach/Seaborne Assault rules. Reading a post on the ASL FB page I saw where Perry had suggested this scenario so we decided to give it a whirl. I got the defending Germans.

I lined up all hands in trenches and bunkers along the hinterland/beach hexsides but for a sole HS back in the upper floor of the building. I had thought that the AT gun might make for good sport shooting at LCs as they approached, and wanted the HMG to do fire lane duty on the beach and shallow ocean hexes the GIs would have to cross.

His first try at boating was not a success as he immediately broached the first LC he touched and the troops promptly came ashore into a minefield....lol nice start. The first wave took it rough, the CO got KIA'd in the first few volleys and things were looking grim for the US until the dice went cold for me. No ATG hits on his LCs, no ROF, fire lanes were ok but I soon wished I had put the HMG in the building and potted at the GIs as they came in. I think the ROF is more valuable in this scenario as the fire lanes can be avoided.

We had a blast with our first assault landing and we have played Vaagso Venture as well since. Great fun :) We want to play more seaborne assaults but are having trouble getting the overlays right on VASL. If you have suggestions on how to get a VASL map for Thai Hot or The Cat Has Jumped, I would certainly like to hear from you.

Back to topic, I would highly recommend this scenario if you are looking to get your feet wet, so to speak.

BC

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't have the Thai Hot scenario but here's an ASL 55 board set up using the VASLOverlays_v102.vmdx extension. You'll find the link to it here.

I used a cropped bd01 to hold overlays Be1 and OC1 and a cropped bd00 to hold overlays Be2 and OC2. Pieces moving on these overlays will report as if they're on the underlying boards. There's not a work around for that that I'm aware of but I think everything will work for you okay. Let me know if not.

Al

Attachments

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't have the Thai Hot scenario but here's an ASL 55 board set up using the VASLOverlays_v102.vmdx extension. You'll find the link to it here.

I used a cropped bd01 to hold overlays Be1 and OC1 and a cropped bd00 to hold overlays Be2 and OC2. Pieces moving on these overlays will report as if they're on the underlying boards. There's not a work around for that that I'm aware of but I think everything will work for you okay. Let me know if not.

Al
Thank you very much for the file and the assist on overlays, will give that a shot myself...