AP reccomendations

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In my ongoing bid to update my collection, I am buying Yanks!. I am also going to buy a second item. I have AP9, AP 10, AP 11, AP 12, and the Best of Friends pack from which to choose. I can only really afford one. Which should I get, and why?

Thanks in advance!

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
The general consensus is buy everything MMP has in print now or wait years for its return (or high prices through third parties). So I would just say to you, if everything will be sold out tomorrow, which one would you regret most not picking up. It's all about what you like to play and starting with those items. MMP modules are available for about 3 years after release so keep that in mind.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Journal 2 reprint. 24 excellent scenarios, the Kakazu Ridge map and CG and two countersheets. You can find it at Gamer's Armory for $39.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Journal 2 reprint. 24 excellent scenarios, the Kakazu Ridge map and CG and two countersheets. You can find it at Gamer's Armory for $39.
That is easily the best Journal.

Always buy the official stuff-MMP. Or regret not being able to play a ton of other stuff.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, I picked up Journal 2 earlier this year - it is good! I am a bit torn, BoF is the oldest out of the ones to choose from, but comes with no maps. AP 9 is next, but AP 11 is sort of a Yanks! theme pack. I was just hoping that one of these really stood out from the rest of the pack as a better product. I am not too worried about scenario packs, really - I have many scenarios that I will likely never play. But I do like to pick things up in pairs, just to save a bit on shipping.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Best of Friends is very, very good - it's a compilation of diverse scenarios culled from Friendly Fire's scenario packs. FF are consistently strong when it comes to putting out quality packs of scenarios. I've played 10 of the 12 in the pack and liked them a lot.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
My 2 cents would be BoF. I think AP9 is the best AP of that group, but it's all PTO and if you're just buying Yanks, that's probably not going to do you much good. If you've yet to play FrF stuff, they design the best tourney style stuff in ASL.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my ongoing bid to update my collection, I am buying Yanks!. I am also going to buy a second item. I have AP9, AP 10, AP 11, AP 12, and the Best of Friends pack from which to choose. I can only really afford one. Which should I get, and why?

Thanks in advance!
I would avoid AP11, unless you already have AP4. Many of the scenarios in AP11 require the boards from AP4 (53, 54, and 55), but these boards are not available for purchase (and AP4 is OoP).

I do wish that MMP would offer these boards for sale... (sigh)

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks gents! I think I will go with BoF after all.
I'd wait on BOF. Always, always, always buy packs/modules/Journals that are going to give you components (mapboards, counters, mapsheets, rules) first.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I'd wait on BOF. Always, always, always buy packs/modules/Journals that are going to give you components (mapboards, counters, mapsheets, rules) first.
This........ in spades. Always get stuff with boards and the like as it they do go OOP, you will not be paying through the nose.

Peace

Roger

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Too late! I got BoF. I did have a good hard think about the maps issue, and I didn't think there were any new rules per se in any of the APs I had to choose from. It does give me incentive to preorder the new map bundle, however, and then buy new APs as they come out.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keep in mind that the map bundle is not even close to making preorder.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, that's my main source right now for things that are still in print. It's a bit hit or miss as to if and when he gets stock, but if he has it in the prices and shipping are the best deal going for a guy from Saskatchewan.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I email him when MMP has something new out and I want to get it through him... FYI in case you're wanting something in particular, let him know. ;-)