AP reccomendations

Discussion in 'Advanced Squad Leader' started by CTKnudsen, Oct 12, 2017.

1. CTKnudsen

CTKnudsen Active Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Dundurn, Sask.
    In my ongoing bid to update my collection, I am buying Yanks!. I am also going to buy a second item. I have AP9, AP 10, AP 11, AP 12, and the Best of Friends pack from which to choose. I can only really afford one. Which should I get, and why?

Thanks in advance!

2. xenovin

xenovin Active Member

Aug 7, 2010
    philly-ish
    The general consensus is buy everything MMP has in print now or wait years for its return (or high prices through third parties). So I would just say to you, if everything will be sold out tomorrow, which one would you regret most not picking up. It's all about what you like to play and starting with those items. MMP modules are available for about 3 years after release so keep that in mind.

Justiciar and JRKrejsa like this.
  3. RobZagnut

RobZagnut Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2003
    USA
    Journal 2 reprint. 24 excellent scenarios, the Kakazu Ridge map and CG and two countersheets. You can find it at Gamer's Armory for $39.

DrDeath likes this.
  4. JRKrejsa

JRKrejsa Active Member

Sep 21, 2005
    USA
    That is easily the best Journal.

Always buy the official stuff-MMP. Or regret not being able to play a ton of other stuff.

5. CTKnudsen

CTKnudsen Active Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Dundurn, Sask.
    Yeah, I picked up Journal 2 earlier this year - it is good! I am a bit torn, BoF is the oldest out of the ones to choose from, but comes with no maps. AP 9 is next, but AP 11 is sort of a Yanks! theme pack. I was just hoping that one of these really stood out from the rest of the pack as a better product. I am not too worried about scenario packs, really - I have many scenarios that I will likely never play. But I do like to pick things up in pairs, just to save a bit on shipping.

6. Delirium

Delirium ASL Fanatic

Aug 14, 2009
    Wexford
    Best of Friends is very, very good - it's a compilation of diverse scenarios culled from Friendly Fire's scenario packs. FF are consistently strong when it comes to putting out quality packs of scenarios. I've played 10 of the 12 in the pack and liked them a lot.

Spencer Armstrong likes this.
  7. Spencer Armstrong

Spencer Armstrong Canard de Guerre

Mar 7, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    My 2 cents would be BoF. I think AP9 is the best AP of that group, but it's all PTO and if you're just buying Yanks, that's probably not going to do you much good. If you've yet to play FrF stuff, they design the best tourney style stuff in ASL.

Delirium likes this.
  8. CTKnudsen

CTKnudsen Active Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Dundurn, Sask.
    Thanks gents! I think I will go with BoF after all.

9. djohannsen

djohannsen Active Member

Jan 3, 2017
    I would avoid AP11, unless you already have AP4. Many of the scenarios in AP11 require the boards from AP4 (53, 54, and 55), but these boards are not available for purchase (and AP4 is OoP).

I do wish that MMP would offer these boards for sale... (sigh)

Spencer Armstrong likes this.
  10. RobZagnut

RobZagnut Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2003
    USA
    I'd wait on BOF. Always, always, always buy packs/modules/Journals that are going to give you components (mapboards, counters, mapsheets, rules) first.

11. rdw5150

rdw5150 it's just a game Silver Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Erie, PA
    This........ in spades. Always get stuff with boards and the like as it they do go OOP, you will not be paying through the nose.

Peace

Roger

12. CTKnudsen

CTKnudsen Active Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Dundurn, Sask.
    Too late! I got BoF. I did have a good hard think about the maps issue, and I didn't think there were any new rules per se in any of the APs I had to choose from. It does give me incentive to preorder the new map bundle, however, and then buy new APs as they come out.

13. clubby

clubby Active Member

Dec 27, 2015
    CA
    Keep in mind that the map bundle is not even close to making preorder.

Paul M. Weir likes this.
  14. CTKnudsen

CTKnudsen Active Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Dundurn, Sask.
    Well I'm Number 203! Only 247 to go!

15. Brad M-V

Brad M-V Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2012
    British Columbia
  16. CTKnudsen

CTKnudsen Active Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Dundurn, Sask.
    Yeah, that's my main source right now for things that are still in print. It's a bit hit or miss as to if and when he gets stock, but if he has it in the prices and shipping are the best deal going for a guy from Saskatchewan.

17. Brad M-V

Brad M-V Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2012
    British Columbia
    I email him when MMP has something new out and I want to get it through him... FYI in case you're wanting something in particular, let him know. ;-)