AP HE equivalence

Pirke

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Hi guys.

I know the rules limit the use of HEAT for use against infantry targets only if the infantry is in/behind certain terrain types. But what about AP? Is it restricted against the same terrain types when used against infantry?

Thanks. Pirke.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pirke said:
Hi guys.

I know the rules limit the use of HEAT for use against infantry targets only if the infantry is in/behind certain terrain types. But what about AP? Is it restricted against the same terrain types when used against infantry?

Thanks. Pirke.
Nope, you can fire AP at infantry even in the open. Those 57L ATGs with 3 ROF make a nice little anti-Infantry gun with 2 IFP/even AP-HE equivalency shots. Several Paratrooper scenarios have those 57L Guns, and I've taken my share of knocks from 2/even HE equivalency shots from 'em moving in the open with ffnam (as well as dishing out same). A two even attack is not that bad either!

Dave Johnson

No one of consequence
Reaction score
Pirke said:
Hi guys.

Thanks. Pirke.
You can fire AP at anything. The only downside is that you only get a max of 2FP equivalency. However, this can be especially useful against pillboxes because AP fires against them w/o the pillbox TEM (AP punches through that concrete like butter). That means that if you have a high ROF gun that is otherwise unoccupied you can put a bunch of 2(+0) shots into that otherwise very hard to hit pillbox. Not good for the boys inside. :shock:

You be nice now.

Dave

serpico

Reaction score
Pillbox and AP

Vertually impossible to eliminate a pillbox with AP/APCR/APDS because of the HE equivilency FP of 1 or 2 but you can affect the contents of the pillbox I assume.

You would need to roll <= 0 or 1 on the IFT to eliminate the pillbox, no?

Or am I missing something here?

serpico

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think you missed anything.

You don't need to eliminate the Pillbox - just its contents. :cool:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I understand it...

When you're firing AP at a bunker/pillbox, you're NOT necessarily cutting thru the concrete with those AP rounds.

Instead, you're creating concussion which in turn causes all sorts of nasty things INSIDE the bunker ie nose bleeds, disorientation, shock, etc. etc. etc.

Almost a form of spalling (for those who know the term).

Mark DV

GR MICH

Dave Johnson

No one of consequence
Reaction score
MarkDV said:
When you're firing AP at a bunker/pillbox, you're NOT necessarily cutting thru the concrete with those AP rounds.

Instead, you're creating concussion which in turn causes all sorts of nasty things INSIDE the bunker ie nose bleeds, disorientation, shock, etc. etc. etc.

Almost a form of spalling (for those who know the term).

Mark DV

GR MICH
I don't know the physics of it, but I'm familiar with spalling -- nasty stuff. If that's how it works, great. Either way it does a damn-damn on those cocky little buggers inside. :devious:

Dave