AP 100 Coal in Their Stocking

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
John and I played AP100 Coal in your Stocking with a radom dr giving me the German defenders. The VC provide an interesting challenge for both sides as the US gains 2 VC per turn per each of the five stone building hexes on the board and the Germans gain 3 VC for each stone building at the end of the game and EVP off the north edge. So the US needs to drive south and capture the buildings early while guarding against any major German northern exit. As the German player you have to calculate how many buildings you think you can hold and for how long with a mix of EVP with your precious armor that you need to defend the town. The other major challenge for the German is do you conduct a forward defense (delay US approach but risk being cut off) or just strongpoint the town with concentrated force but the US will show up by Turn 2? I wanted to delay the Germans for as long as possible so I chose the forward defense and hope some of my mobile units can threaten an exit forcing the US to respond by holding back a few units.

The Germans have precious few troops defending a larger perimeter as the US enters along the northern edge with the option of Turn 2 entering along the eastern edge. My main fear was a US advance along the northwestern and southwestern board edges getting in behind by forward defenders to the village before they could fall back thus I placed both my PZK and LMGs here. The center of my outer perimeter had a light defense force around 54Y9 with a dummy armor stack to PF any rash Turn 1 armor thrust but I knew this area would not hold out long if John set up in force here (which he did). The second outer perimeter force was around 54EE6 backed by a Puma preventing any quick advance along the 54Y1-FF5 road. Finally, my other Puma was in 67AA3 covering the road, any Turn 2 US advance through the AA5 gap, and a general rapid reserve attack unit. All this was backed by the JgPz in the 70A4 woods covering any approach through the V-wedge (formed by the two overlays), fire through Overlay Hd9, and the northeastern entry into the village. The JgPz was backed by the 9-1 with HMG and the 81mm MTR covering its flanks and covering the quickest southern US route into the VC village. Lastly, the Germans can set up as Concealed thus a shell game is in play as the US is not sure which units are real, HS, or dummies. I made sure not to reveal my units too early to keep John guessing.

(Turn 1 at start forces and showing location of US Turn 2 entry)

John surprised me by massing the bulk of his force within the northern setup area but it was rather under defended and easiest route to the VC area. He sent both Stuarts, the MG HT w/ a 666, and the jeep to conduct his Turn 2 spoiling attack and/or pinning some of my guys along the eastern edge. His very first move was sending his scout car down Board 69 right into my JgPz that quickly set it alight (with rate) so John quickly diverted the rest of his armor away into the 69G9 brush area. I started my skulk back defense and a limited counterattack with JgPz, Puma, and a 467 squad against the central US force to delay and hopefully bag some armor. Turn 2 also had an unfortunate (for me) Wind Change DR resulting in a breeze pushing smoke from the burning wreck over the center of Board 69 covering the US approach. This allowed the US to enter through the Overlay Hd10 area (but with the loss of two more AFVs from a PZK and the JgPz). More of a disaster for the US was their eastern entry force as a lucky German HS 2FP shot immobilized the Jeep, the HT bogged on a hedge, and one of the Stuarts was KIA by the puma (The other Stuart was allowed to pass the Puma so John would think it a dummy).

The US failure along the eastern board edge allowed the Germans to send almost all the troops on boards 54 ad 67 westward helping to counterattack the center and defend the village.

On Turn 3, the three burning US wrecks on Board 69 (2xACs and one M8) allowed the US HT entry into the stone VC building on overlay Hd10, but the sole Stuart broke his MA firing on the HMG stack. The US was down to his HT (the crew scrounged the MG and headed into the fight), M8, Stuart w/ BK MA, and a bogged MG HT. The Germans still had all their AFVs and the tide was turning on the US.

Turn 4 the Germans fortified the town with the VC buildings and the US was able to bring two squads each with their BAZ and the M8 against the JgPz but fortune smiled on the valiant tank crew who managed to escape after taking out the M8. While the US infantry came up behind the HIP MTR and took it out it, they were down to four squads and two HS but the Stuart made a nice overrun of the German HMG position but failed to do any damage.

While Turn 5 the US HT was un-bogged and made a run for the village (but not enough points to unload), the death of the final Stuart from a PZK and lack of squads, John resigned at the US had lost all its armor (but a HT), had only 6 VP, and faced assaulting the village under fire from all the German armor (and probably overruns) and village defenders.

(Turn 5: end of the scenario)

Due to the raging GS precision dice debate, John and I both use precision dice. John rolled 2xsnakes (my sniper did not activate) with one changing the wind, 2x boxcars CR two of his squads and I had 1xboxcar breaking my HMG (and of course the 6 repair dr). If there was any luck I had it with low TK shots but John just seems to have all the bad luck in the game leading to a slow wasting away of his units. He came within a hairs breath of taking the village early on Turn 3 but the complete collapse of his eastern relief force allowed me to counterattack into his flank and reinforce the VC village. I heard this was a fun scenario and it did not disappoint. Interesting recon units and mix of elite and 1st line units with multiple avenues of attack and defense. The use of the opening concealment really keeps the US from just bum rushing a German defensive position and overrunning it is very important (John was never sure what was hiding under each stack) so the German player needs to keep concealment for as long as possible as they don’t have enough to hold everywhere. I tend to play urban East Front scenarios so it was nice to get out in the country for a change. Pick this one up and give it a try as both sides have options (and some math) to consider.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I played this a while ago as the Germans defending the village.

IMHO the German defensive setup in the picture provided above is very up front and very vulnerable should the US elect to have more of his forces enter on Turn 2 on the flank. This would force the Germans to fall back over difficult ground, therefore forfeiting Concealment.

von Marwitz

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
von M, that was a very real possibility but my Board 54 units would either attack west (which they did against the actual situational schwerpunkt) or south into the area your suggested thrust point. This group would lose concealment but attack the flank of the advancing US forces (US setup gives you a good idea of his plans for any minor repositioning during German Turn 1). The terrain along Board 67 has restrictive terrain and a number of chock points for LATW and German MA targeting US armor at close range delaying at a minimum, or breaking up if lucky, any US combined arms attack on the village from the east. Some would get through but the Germans maintain interior lines while the US would be attacking divided. Finally, I just did not like the idea of holding the bulk of my forces back as the US would be very close to the village by Turn 2 and trying to hold for four turns against their massed 6 FP squads did not sound like something that was going to work. Was my deployment risky? yes. but again the opening concealment kept the US guessing about what was my actual deployment and finding the JgPz where he least expected it really slowed down John's attack.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've lost this as the Americans and won it as the Germans. It looks at first glance like it should be even, but I don't have a clue how to play the Americans in this one.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I've lost this as the Americans and won it as the Germans. It looks at first glance like it should be even, but I don't have a clue how to play the Americans in this one.
This seems to be a common theme with regard to the Americans.

When I played them, I got "stuck" during the game with lots (well most) of the US infantry broken while attempting to cross dangerous ground. In the end, with some luck, I managed a win in the last CCPh.

In another game, my opponent felt it hard to find an good approach for the US as well and said it would be hard to grokk.

Now you chime in with the same feeling.

So - anyone out there who does have a clue how to tackle this?

von Marwitz

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this a few years ago. If I recall correctly the Americans unloaded all the MGs from the transport and forced my Germans back with high ROF stacks of death.

Rob

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this a few years ago. If I recall correctly the Americans unloaded all the MGs from the transport and forced my Germans back with high ROF stacks of death.

Rob

As I recall, though, it's harder to do that than it sounds. For one thing, it eats time in a short scenario. For another, there are a lot of hindrances so the shots aren't as great as they seem. When I played it as the Germans, though, I think I brewed up the machinegun halftrack right away with a semi-lucky shot, which made that tactic moot.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Smoke, speed, and concentration of firepower are your friends. I'd say attack primarily on the US far right with everything starting on board. Entering turn two wastes a precious pair of player turns off board turn 1 and entering far from the action turn 2. To me the key is SMOKE form every source and getting the US infantry in close for assault fire, bazookas and CC. Use the assault guns for WP, including intensive firing WP for a second shot of it turn 1. Use the Stuarts and greyhounds to bait the german infantry into shooting PF's while responding with canister and then bypass freeze. Then armored assault infantry under the halftracks. If the US gets established in the D3, E3 area turn 1 then move along the woods towards a meeting engagement of repositioning germans in the village. Just a couple squads and a bazooka with an assault gun to back them keep the left flank jail break from looking appealing. Great scenario!