AOO & ASLRB Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
purdyrc said:
If I were MMP, I would burn everything to the ground and collect the insurance after this display of hostility.

- Rick
Brian won't let me have the matches. Perry's afraid his beard will catch fire. Curt's injury won't allow him to run fast enough to get away when the building collapses. :cheeky:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian writes:
"We're working on AOO, ASLRB reprint, ASLSK2, afterwhich we'll reprint BV and ASLSK1, and I have to do two boxes for two Gamers games. They all get our time, per what I told Mark P. on CSW about a month ago. We will not continue to function as an 'us versus them' company with respect to our product lines. If this 'policy' costs us customers, that's a side effect we will have to live with."

Despite having repeatedly promising AOO, MMP appears to be once more putting AOO on the back burner in order to work on some other project. More than a thousand people (2000 pre-orders, though some of those are multiples) have put their money where their mouth is on AOO, because it was supposed to be imminent, and frankly, in my opinion MMP has an ethical obligation to get AOO out the door as fast as possible to fulfil their commitment to all those people. I don't understand why MMP would even think about working on some other game if it were possible that they could spend the time instead on the long-promised, long delayed AOO.

Last edited:

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
AoO

FWIW, regarding the "nobody will play AoO, just like DB" thing, I disagree.

For one, people screamed for "Dutch Trucks" because most of the time it was going to be coupled with the Axis Minors. Green Meanies was referring to both sides for quite a while, till it got split into two, DB and AoO.

For two, I expect to play the AoO scenarios quite a bit, assuming they are as good as has been leaked. I played the DB scenarios and enjoyed them, and I expect these mostly East Front actions to be even better.

Moving on to other AoO gripes: For three, I never bought the boards because I thought that AoO was imminent. How many years has that been now? I've lost count. To use them I have to either play VASL or use someone elses boards. I ain't buying them separately because I am not guaranteed the opportunity to buy the boardless AoO in the future.

And finally: For four, scenario designers want the Axis Minor 5/8" counters. There's wasn't much to use the Allied Minor vehicles for, but the Axis Minors fought for 3+ years, there's lots of actions to be portrayed.

Hey Brian. C'mon, man. Play hooky and skip the Gamers boxes this weekend. Work on some more AoO counters. Maybe we can all chip in some cash to send Luanne some flowers to take her mind off of the fact that Brian spent the whole weekend in the basement. Tulips? Pansies?

And no, I still don't know what the Gamers line is and I don't care. ASL rules.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know that Steve Swann, Paul Kenny, and myself, to name just three I happen to know about, have scenarios waiting for AOO to come out.

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Folks, just to get everyone's bloodpressure back under control I spent the night working on AOO and will be spending my time working on AOO.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>spent the night working on AOO and will be spending my time working on AOO.

That's great news. Sorry about being such a bastard earlier (So unlike me). It's just nice to hear once in a while that we're on the front burners.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I will be very happy when i can finally update to Rulebook V2... :D
really, just happy...
:laugh:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gee thanks Brian for your enthusiastic statement. Your statement make's me feel like a ragbag just for asking you to do your job. Worse, I since a certain lack of motivation.
Perhaps MMP should just shelve all ASL projects and come back to them when you guys feel more motivated and enthusiastic about doing them.

Scott

byouse said:
Folks, just to get everyone's bloodpressure back under control I spent the night working on AOO and will be spending my time working on AOO.

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Legion said:
I will be very happy when i can finally update to Rulebook V2... :D
really, just happy...
:laugh:
Just waiting on some Chapter K proofing, everything else seems to be ready right now.

paulkenny

Reaction score
byouse said:

See Brian that was a bad move, you are caving to pressure! :D

Never negotiate with hostage takers or whining gamers!! :devil:

Just encourages us!

Sgt. Przybylo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is great...

Man,

This stuff kills me. :laugh: I am waiitng for AoO as much as the next guy, but cmon folks, lets be real here. Yes, we have all waited for a looong time. Yes, it appears as if priorities seem out of whack for what we want (ASL). But where would ASL be if MMP had not picked up the ball? I'm not christening them as the Saviors, but does anyone really know?

In my experience in the gaming community, there is nothing more important to the gamer than HIS game or genre. There are boardgamers who thought roleplaying wasn't "real" gaming. There were roleplayers who felt that boardgamers were "irascible old curmudgeons" (that's a quote, no reference to Ron). Almost everyone (I could have the numbers wrong, I never did the study :p )felt that Magic:The Gathering was the end of the gaming world as we knew it.

My Point: 1) MMP doesnt do this full time. 2) Not everyone feels as strongly about ASL as we do.

Let's take the good news from MMP, and say, "Believe it when I see it" and leave it at that.

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am a 43 year old, lifelong, Red Sox fan.

The feeling I have waiting for AOO is similar to the feeling I had waiting for the Sox to win a World Series. I knew it was possible, but it just seemed like it would never happen.

The feeling I have for the Red Sox, now that they've finally won a World Series in my lifetime, is that I love rooting for them more than ever, and everything to come in future seasons is gravy. I suspect that when AOO is finally released and in my hands, that the feeling for ASL will be similar.

That's why AOO is important to ASLers.

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wanna see something official on ASL in 2004 and as I said before Like the sand in an hourglass so are the days of 2004. As of today there are only 55 days left in 2004.

Is there any wargame company were the owners do production as a full time job? Does CH! owner Ray T not have a day job? and if not how can he make a living on his stuff and MMP guys can't? I know Brian Y has said he wished he could just do MMP.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Loquitor said:
I wanna see something official on ASL in 2004 and as I said before Like the sand in an hourglass so are the days of 2004. As of today there are only 55 days left in 2004.

Is there any wargame company were the owners do production as a full time job? Does CH! owner Ray T not have a day job? and if not how can he make a living on his stuff and MMP guys can't? I know Brian Y has said he wished he could just do MMP.
The impression that I get from MMP is that things will start to move once the logjam clears. Rulebook print starts this week, play test just finished on the Journal and some minor stuff to work out with AoO. Don’t be surprised if we see all 3 by end of January 2005. It’s not like we have nothing to do while we are waiting. I remain optimistic.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Sgt. Przybylo said:
My Point: 1) MMP doesnt do this full time.
Why not? If it is a successful business it must be able to support its employees/owners full-time. If not then they should sell it to someone who can make it successful. Otherwise, they are just dicking around. It seems to me that this is the heart of the frustration. :-|

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WaterRabbit said:
Why not? If it is a successful business it must be able to support its employees/owners full-time. If not then they should sell it to someone who can make it successful. Otherwise, they are just dicking around. It seems to me that this is the heart of the frustration. :-|
That's easy for you to say when it isn't your livelihood being put on the line.

Maybe they don't do it full time because it ISN'T a "successful business" in the traditional sense. It's a niche-hobby business that only exists because of enthusiasts like us who help keep it afloat.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
And? I fail to see the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to say that it is not a successful business so they should only put a part-time effort into it?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Part-time businesses are not at all unusual in the wargaming industry, which is, after all, a niche industry.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Mark is correct. Unless your business has a wargame with real mass-appeal, it's difficult to even break even most of the time. The alternative is to pay most of the wargame's development and administrative costs through military contracts and the civilian market is the gravey. TacOps and POA-2 are good examples of this. I think it's safe to say that ASL is not useful for any nation's military, so they must rely on the civilian market for everything.

PCs are now dominating the wargame hobby and MMP has a very tough job in front of them.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WaterRabbit said:
Are you trying to say that it is not a successful business so they should only put a part-time effort into it?
No; I'm saying that because of the nature of this particular business it isn't realistic for it to be anyone's full-time job and still earn enough money to make a living.

Also, the suggestion that someone/anyone at MMP isn't working hard enough is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.